Seeking Someone Smarter Than Me

This is a discussion on Seeking Someone Smarter Than Me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; very true but in all honesty i would look for another gun...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking Someone Smarter Than Me

very true but in all honesty i would look for another gun

2. Remove Ads

Yeah but it's fun to play around. If I could do this for cheap I would consider it.

It's been a good gun to me. a couple thousand rounds of all sorts of cheap ammo and not one hiccup. I am impressed. I hold tighter groups with it than the people I saw earlier today firing off their $700 1911s. I'd hate to ever get rid of it.

I'll probably forget all about it in a week. But thanks guys. This has been tons of fun to fuss over. :D

I too shoot my Rugers better than most people shoot there 1911's but all the shooting i do thats not a surprise just cuz ya got a 2000$ pistol dont mean ya can shoot

Well odds are Bud you'd outshoot me by a wide margin, but I do find it to be a smug satisfaction in life to know that Sam Colt made us all equal. I'm about the middle of the curve really; half the people that come in do better than I do and half do worse.

I've long stopped blaming any gun for not hitting the target. I don't think there's a gun made that's not more accurate than I am. Heck for that matter I think there's not a gun made that isn't more accurate than 80% of our police and military forces.

It's like they said in the original Dawn of the Dead:

"The only sucker who could miss with this gun would be the sucker with the bread to buy it."

Your very right some of the police forces shooting is scary but were running off topic :)

I watched a Detective today unload 3 fully topped off mags from his USP 9 @ 15 yds and only show 8 holes in the paper, 3 of which were deemed to be COM. Not a pretty picture at all.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

We really are getting off topic but I have to say it.

This is what pisses me off when people tell me I have no business with a gun. ****** I know I'm not the best shot on earth, but that's like telling me I have no business driving because I don't do NASCAR races. And my truck is way more likely to kill someone than my gun is.

I realize that in the real world, a cop doesn't get into Hollywood gun fights every day. A police officer upholds the law. He's not some kind of professional gunfighter. His sidearm is just another tool in his toolbox.

But the fact is I'm a school teacher, hear that a school teacher, and I take it upon myself to not be a helpless little piece of fluff. I practice regularly. I try to get better tools as I am able, and I try to improve. It's not the focus of my life. It's a skill set like learning CPR or how to survive in the desert for 3 days or use a fire extinguisher.

And the fact is in a competition of shooting skill, I hold my own with the great majority of our police force because I practice regularly. A lot of people I know consider me an expert and a good shot even though I tell them I am not. I guess it's all relative.

Firearms are not Lightsabers and the Police aren't Jedi. I could not do police or military work unless I was drafted into it. The thought of running out there in the middle of Iraq with those nutcases trying to blow me to bits is beyond me. Thank God not everyone's a coward like me and there's some people who can handle that crap.

But the fact is there's a limited number of these people and they have better things to do than watch some sniveling little civilian sit around and feel scared and sorry for himself. With an honest effort, I feel I can protect myself as well as anyone else can. Moreover, I feel I can probably do it better because I have all sorts of motivation.

It's not that I do not trust the PD to come running if I ever do make that 3 digit phone call, it's just that they don't have an obligation to be my nanny and they shouldn't. 45 seconds is a hell of a long time to wait too.

No I have legitimate business with a gun. I can use it as well as your average police officer can if not slightly better, and I'm saving the taxpayers a lot of money at my own expense.

Lead Moderator
    You also might want to consider the legalality of changing the slide on your pistol. I don't know what state your in but you might need to re registar with a diffrent serial # . Just something to think about.

Actually I don't recall ever seeing a serial number on the slide of this pistol.

Why would serial number a slide anyway? It's the lower frame that's actually considered to be the gun, right?

Kind of like how it's the lower receiver on an AR that's considered to be the actual gun.

Replacing a slide should be the same thing as getting aftermarket grips.

Then again my SKS has a serial number on its magazine, which is dumb. And miraculous actually because I know it's the original factory magazine that way...

But that doesn't matter; it's not like my Norinco has any collector's value. I could just as easily replace it with another magazine that would do the exact same thing just like I could the slide in question.

Then again we all know gun control laws don't have to make any sense either.

In any event, I'd still retain the original slide. But I don't think it's going to be an issue anyway. I don't think this gun is worth the expense.

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BassDaddy777
    Wouldn't a modified safety be a Persecuting Attorney's wet dream? Or is this not that big of modification?
    Only if you accidentally shot someone. What's the problem with a modified safety if you intentionally shoot someone? If you're in the right it simply doesn't matter.

There is no law in any state to which I am aware of that makes changing a slide something that has to be registered. You can ship firearms parts of that nature pretty well without restriction.

Even in states that require registration of guns to the best of my knowledge you can change the caliber willy-nilly - it's still the same gun you registered but parts are swapped out.

And the 'modified safety' argument is only going to matter in a negligent discharge case. You're swapping the slide to another factory configuration, and even if the safety was removed totally on a gun that didn't normally ship that way, I think you'd end up alright. After all, you can point out that the FBI-issued Sigs don't have safeties - the many thousands of police forces that issue Glocks don't have safties, etc - and none of them are negligent.

Lead Moderator
    was looking at my HK USP when posting. I looked again and none of my other pistols have serial #'s on em.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links