Conceal a full size USP?

Conceal a full size USP?

This is a discussion on Conceal a full size USP? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone regularly conceal and carry a full size HK USP? Any issues? Holster recommendations? I'm looking at a really good deal on a .40, ...

Thread: Conceal a full size USP?

Conceal a full size USP?

Does anyone regularly conceal and carry a full size HK USP? Any issues? Holster recommendations? I'm looking at a really good deal on a .40, but don't think I'll do it if I can't make it a carry gun. I currently carry an XD40 (4") and the USP seems a mite bigger.

One other question: are the sights user changeable, or do you need a smith for that? I'm kinda addicted to the XS 24/7 std dot.
    Last edited by sjp2452; February 2nd, 2007 at 03:21 AM.

It can be carried with good cover garment

I have a USP 45 and have sometimes carried it under winter clothing. The gun is about the size and weight of a lightweight Colt Commander, but somewhat thicker in width. The grip area is the hardest part to conceal, and it helps if the holster cants the gun so the grip is a little more vertical.

I have a Don Hume Open Top Double Nine holster for it (OWB), which conceals it well under a heavy, long cover garment like a sweatshirt or long tail shirt worn out. This is the gun:

i have both an xd and a usp and i find the xd is lighter and i prefer the trigger on it (not a selective action fan) but the usp conceals nicely under a polo if you get the right holster. iwb is a little bulky but a crossbread, ctac or blade tech will work fine.
    Hang on I saw this in a movie one time..................:flamethrowingsmiley for idpa match video click here http://www.youtube.com/v/-P3L4XfmWOg or http://www.youtube.com/v/cBkz7uZEzYs

Lead Moderator
    I carry a full size USP in the winter, it can be a summer carry gun, but is a bit bulky.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I carry a USP 40 daily, although not usually ALL day. It is a little more inconvenient to conceal than some other sidearms, however I don't mind it at all. You shouldn't have a problem.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Moderator
    I carry a USP9f - as pogo2 says - with a good cover garment. But that's just a light vest.

VIP Member
    I'm not a big guy and I can carry my full-size .45 ACP USP and Comp-Tac CTAC under loose clothing.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Thanks guys. I carry my XD40 in a CTAC IWB almost daily and am quite comfortable concealing it. I've been comparing dimensions between the two guns and on paper it looks like the USP is actually a hair shorter (in the height dimension, .15"--surprising), but also a hair thicker (.08"). It's over .6" longer, which shouldn't be an issue. I think I'll take my XD in for a side-by-side comparo. If I buy the USP I'll likely be selling my XD (4" .40, black, Duracoat slide finish somewhat holster polished, XS 24/7 std dot sights, ~3800rds, very good cond). Anybody interested? ;)

carry usp 45 owb and shoulder rig no problems

Well, I did it. Brought it home today for the incredibly sweet price of $500 AFTER sales tax (making the purchase price $469 and change). The thing is barely used...unbelievable.

I did notice one issue though...magazines only drop free when the hammer is down. The implication is that if one shoots to slide lock, the magazine will not drop free if a reload is needed.

Anybody else experience this?

I miss my USPf. When I had it I carried it in a BladeTech IWB and it concealed VERY well.

http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

Try pulling the mag release lever down from BOTH sides at once sjp2452. I had the same problem with my .45 USPc. As far as carry goes, even with the Compact model, I'm concerned about how the large handle is going to work with the Milt Sprks V2 IWB I'm waiting forever to arrive.

Found the problem with the mags not dropping free with the help of Bud White--bent hammer strut. H&K is out of stock for at least another month, still trying to find someone else that has some left over.

Back on-topic, I ordered a CTAC yesterday for my USPF. My trip to the range today proved that I need to spend some time learning to shoot this thing--quite different when compared to my XD! I'm anticipating that the concealment won't be a big issue, but we'll see.

Hume holster for USP 45

I found a picture of the holster I have used when I have carried my USP 45. It is a Don Hume pancake holster, and does a pretty good job of pulling the gun tight against my side, with the proper cant angle.

Links