Kimber Pro Carry 10mm project underway FOR REAL THIS TIME

This is a discussion on Kimber Pro Carry 10mm project underway FOR REAL THIS TIME within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, about a year ago I was looking to get a Kimber Pro Carry 40 and have it reamed to 10mm. Good news is I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Pro Carry 10mm project underway FOR REAL THIS TIME

Kimber Pro Carry 10mm project underway FOR REAL THIS TIME

Well, about a year ago I was looking to get a Kimber Pro Carry 40 and have it reamed to 10mm. Good news is I just won one off of Gunbroker today for $829 shipped. I'll send out the stuff on Saturday and should have it in my greasy little hands by Wednesday. Here is the list of what I am going to do (have done). This time I am going to follow through with it. It will take a long time though.

Send barrel to Hunter Customs to ream to 10mm Auto
    Replace sear, disconnector with C&S Ultralight
    Replace hammer with C&S
    Install Ed Brown Beavertail with Memory Bump
    Install Ed Brown Wide Extended Thumb Safety
    Install Ed Brown Hardcore Slide Lock
    Install Wolff 24# recoil spring and EGW buffer (have already)
    Install Wolff XP FP spring (have already)
    Install EGW Flat Bottomed FP stop
    Remove Series 80 crap
    Install Long Flat trigger of whoever makes one
    Install Ameriglo Operator Front Sight
    Install Heinie Straight 8 Rear Sight (slant pro)
    Hard Chrome Finish
    Bobtail the frame
    Moderate dehorn for carry

Here is the kicker: I want to buy Caspian's Damascus grips and have them modified for the Bobtail. My thought is to have them installed on the gun when I send it in for the Bobtail so they will just take off what needs to be taken off on the grips that were on the gun. I don't know who or how many smiths would/could do this to Damascus, as I don't know how easy it is to work with. I just know they look badass and having them Bobtailed would be even more badass.

I was going to install what I can (not much; springs, FP stop, slide lock, maybe the trigger group if it is a matched prefit set), save the rest for my local smith, and send it off for the Bobtail and Chrome; and the 10mm ream of course (Hunter does awesome work). My other option is to get all the stuff and send it off as a package and then have one smith do it all instead of having a couple people work on it.

I'd like some suggestions on who to send it off to as a whole, if I go that route. I was thinking Gemini Customs or Tripp Research . YoBo wants $185 for the Bobtail conversion and Gemini is only about $80 from what I hear on GT.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

2. Remove Ads

Here are the grips I am looking at. They can do designs in it too like a ladder style, twist, bird's eye, etc. I am scared to but am sending off an email to check prices. Simply stunning. ETA: looks like they will run +$300 and take 9-12 months.
    http://www.wickedgrips.com/page8.html

Picking up my student loan refund check today at 3pm and will mail payment out shortly thereafter. The gun should be here early-mid next week.
    Last edited by Tubby45; February 2nd, 2007 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Add content.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    Freak.....saw your thread on 10mmTalk. Thanks for posting here since we have some serious 10mm-heads (like me!) here.

I met Marc Morganti of Gemini at the 2006 and 2007 SHOT Shows. He is an awesome guy. Both times we chatted for a while about his outstanding handiwork. He's very humble about his work and is devoted to the craft. Even though he hasn't worked on any of my guns, I recommend him. I plan on sending him my S&W 65 for some work.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Very nice grips maybe i should look into a pair for my TLE/Pro
    Kimber S/S tle pro

I still have to think if I want my local smith to do the installs or let a 1911 smith do it. My local guy did some nice work on my Para 10mm with the control fitting and stuff, but this gun might be a keepsake for my son (if he wants it) so I am not too anal about it. I would like to be able to smile at it every time I look at it, if you know what I mean.

Tripp Research isn't doing smithing anymore, as their demand for Chrome jobs took them over by storm. I would have sent it to him in a heartbeat. I think I will have him do the hard chrome though.

Got a lot more thinking to do on this one. The first thing is to get the 10mm barrel to Hunter Customs for the 10mm ream. I have two boxes of 40 Short & Weak left over that I will run through it next weekend to check it out before I send out the barrel. I also have 5 Metalform 10mm mags coming today or tomorrow from a GT group buy that will be used with the Kimber 10mm.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Sounds like it'll be a nice hiking gun. Seems like those damascus grips would add a hefty bit of weight though.
    Jack

i would let 1911 Smith do it all at once

them grips are awesome but dang $$$$

so ya finally got the para sold?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    i would let 1911 Smith do it all at once
    I agree with Bud. If you have all the work done by one smith- he has ownership of the project. He has pride in his handiwork with "the buck stops here" mentality and wants that gun to perform for you.

If there's problems, it's not- "Well that was because of the other smith did this or that or changed my work" and so on.

You true gunsmith guys may have a different view, thats my two cents.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personaly i belive i would get it bobbed, then send a template of that to the grip maker and see if they could do a bobtail for me . rather than the other way arround .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I like my Tripp hard chrome. I am still learning. I was taught that if you take the caliber (40 cal) and divide by 4 that 10mm is essentially the same. Not true??

Quote Originally Posted by ltc-usa View Post
    I was taught that if you take the caliber (40 cal) and divide by 4 that 10mm is essentially the same. Not true??
    Nope. No clue about that. The 40S&W and the 10mm use the same exact bullet, as the 10mm was designed before the 40S&W.

Here is a quick history lesson. The 10mm Auto was developed in 1983. It was shortly thereafter adopted by the FBI, whose agents were pansies and couldn't take the recoil of the 10mm (170/180gr @ 1350fps). The FBI then specified a reduced load of a 180gr JHP @ 950fps. Later S&W and Winchester got together and said we can cut .125" off the 10mm case and achieve that same figure and house it in a 9mm-size pistol. The load was dubbed the FBI Lite 10mm. The shorter cartridge didn't need the large pistol primers like the 10mm does and thus uses small pistol primers. The 40 S&W cartridge was born.

In all practicality, since the 10mm Auto and the 40S&W use the exact same bullets, since the 40S&W is a shortened 10mm, the 10mm achieves velocities of 200-250fps over the 40S&W. The 40S&W load of a 180gr JHP goes about 950-1000fps whereas the 10mm pushes that same exact bullet to 1350fps in the same length barrel.

Maclean3, the grips may help a bit in taming the recoil of the 10mm in an aluminum frame.

Bud White, yup the Para 10mm sold about a month and a half ago.

RR, Wicked Grips already has Bobtail templates in house so making them would be no problem. The price he gave me was $350-385 for the grips, Bobtail no extra charge. They are forged Damascus so I am actually getting less material so there is no extra charge vs normal grips.

I am going to make calls to some smiths and get some price quotes on the work.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

The Metalform 10mm mags showed up and I have all five of them loaded up getting their springs broken in. I also found that both Shooting Star 45 mags and both GI7rd 45 mags take 10mm, so I have a bunch of those loaded up too. Of course I can get 1 more rd of 10mm in the mag than 45. So I have 9 mags I can use for the Kimber plus I might be able to use the Kimber 40 mags too for a total of 11 mags. Sweet.

Here's the parts list so far:

Trigger Group Total $153.97
    C&S Cylinder & Slide Ultra Low Mass Disconnector $22.99

Cylinder & Slide Ultra Lite Commander-Style Hammer Stainless Steel $89.99

Cylinder & Slide Ultra Light Low Mass Sear 1911 $40.99

Controls Total $100.97
    EGW Oversize Firing Pin Stop $14.99

Ed Brown Beavertail Grip Safety with Memory Groove S80 Stainless Steel $34.99

Ed Brown Wide Extended Thumb Safety 1911 Stainless Steel $30.99

Ed Brown Hardcore Slide Stop 1911 45 ACP Stainless Steel $34.99

Estimated Labor for above: $150-200

Ordered a Sidearmor IWB for it Monday; $71 and change shipped. Going out of town (to GB, WI) this weekend so if my gun comes in before then I can't test fire it till next week. I was hoping to run some 40S&W through it Sunday at range time and then mail the barrel out for reaming on Monday. No dice. Ordered a tester box of Rainier 155gr FP bullets for IDPA loads. Them gonna be here today.

My wife found out about the gun purchase. I told a white lie that I paid for it back in December when I sold my Para and used that money to buy it, but had to pony up $30 to make up the difference (quoted about $200 less than actual). I told here my dealer called me Monday and said his distributor had one in stock and is shipping it out. Should be here this week.

I had to make a cover for me running up to the SO to register the pistol (yeah, I know) when it comes. I live just over the county border and need to drive about 30 minutes north to the SO.

I've only been married for about 9 months but I have learned one good lesson: When dealing with gun purchases, it is better and easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

I have decided on a gunsmith to do all the fitting work. I will (try to) keep it a secret until the project is finished. Tripp Research will be doing the Hard Chrome though.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    I've only been married for about 9 months but I have learned one good lesson: When dealing with gun purchases, it is better and easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.
    After 9 years with my warden, I have found the opposite to be true...

Glad to hear you sold the Para, and you're well on the way to that "dream gun"..... Those Grips are sweet, wonder if I could get a pair for my G29?

Keep us updated....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Update:

Barrel was sent out Tuesday to Hunter Customs for the 10mm ream. Will have barrel back early next week.

C&S Ultra Low Mass sear and ULM disconnector will be here today from MidwayUSA.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Finished pics or it didn't happen!!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links