p2000 legality

p2000 legality

This is a discussion on p2000 legality within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hey friends. I have "discovered" that the lem (v1) is not available in the u.s. and the only way to get such a trigger would ...

Thread: p2000 legality

p2000 legality

hey friends. I have "discovered" that the lem (v1) is not available in the u.s. and the only way to get such a trigger would be to buy a v2 (heavier lem) and swap the springs. until speaking with my pops I never considered that modifying the weapon, but he says doing this will get picked apart in court if the shtf. if so ill stick with the tda v3. any thoughts? I'm not interested in the v2 so if a v1 is gonna cause trouble it makes the desision much easier. thanks in advance

Lead Moderator
    Many thoughts on this situation. No clear answer whether modifications will affect trial outcome. Modify/ or don't at your own risk.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    IF its a mod that is available from the manufacture, your good to go. If its a home brew skunk works type of mod your rolling the dice. My money is on that will be a sticking point if your ever on trial.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If you ever have to go to court over a shooting, the bg's attorney will look to nail you with anything and everything he can, including choice of ammo, and if you made any changes to your gun. Personally I wouldn't worry about it to much, as long as the modification isn't something that makes the gun illegal (such as converting an evil assault rifle to "full-auto") or like Sixto said, something you obviously concocted in your basement

would it make a difference if I sent it to hk for the springs instead of swapping myself?

Assistant Administrator
    would it make a difference if I sent it to hk for the springs instead of swapping myself?
    Working on SIXTO's mention ............

IF its a mod that is available from the manufacture, your good to go
    And if proof of work done by manufacturer then that would seem to CYA, better than a home job, even tho you'd probably be well able to do it. Just how light is this V1 anyways? If poundage especially low then perhaps even that in itself might raise eyebrows?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

v1 is approx. 4.5 lbs. like a single action with a lot of slack up front. also, is "i use the gun in competitions" a good enough reason for the trigger concerns?

Assistant Administrator
    Wouldn't see 4.5# as a biggie - that is about on par with 1911 SA poundage IIRC.

Plus too - good point re ''competitions'' - guess that could be favorable, depending of course how even that was spun!!! I could well imagine a prosecutor using about anything with negative spin!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

How would changing the springs in the p2000 be any different than tuning the recoil and/or FP springs on a 1911? Most owners do that at some point along the way while searching for the ultimate in reliability, recoil absorbtion, or cycling speed. Not much different than adding Wolff's +5% mag springs either come to think about it and nobody seems too worried about doing that.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I'm confused (it happens alot at this age), but isn't the only difference between a V1 and V2 is that the variant 1 is for wrong handers and the variant 2 is for left handed folks??
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

on the usp, yes. however they gave the p2ks a different variant system. all p2k are ambidextrous

Links