Taurus PT-111 "Issue"

Taurus PT-111 "Issue"

This is a discussion on Taurus PT-111 "Issue" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have carried a Taurus PT-111 for a while. I never had a problem with it. I shoot it extremely well compared to my other ...

Thread: Taurus PT-111 "Issue"

Taurus PT-111 "Issue"

I have carried a Taurus PT-111 for a while. I never had a problem with it. I shoot it extremely well compared to my other guns (with longer barrels even). I thought I might mention what happened last weekend though.

I was wearing a recently purchased paddle holster. I got out of my car and walked around to unlock the trunk. As I neared the rear of the car something went "clunk" onto the gravel I was parked on. It was the mag from the gun!

I had always heard complaints about how easy it is to release the magazine with this gun, but now I have seen it firsthand. I am sure the mag was locked into place and I had worn the gun for sme time and never unholstered it but something pushed the button hard enough and it ejected.

The scary thing is that if I had been somewhere else (noisy or maybe on grass) I might never have known it was gone.

FYI

I couldn't use a Belly Band type holster on my PT140 for the same reason. I'd snug it down and "click" my magazine would release.

This has only happened using the paddle that I have not used all that much. All my other holsters have been fine. I need to take a close look at them to see if there is a reason that the paddle might be worse -- or maybe I have just been lucky.

Anyway... first my gun belt breaks in two and now this. I am getting paranoid about retention anymore!

Boy that is a bummer. Those PT-111s seem like pretty nifty little guns at their price point. The only bad thing I've heard about them is their triggers. I've also heard they're more accurate than they have right to be. I like them because they look like they'd be really easy to conceal.

Trip to a gunsmith maybe? Try an aftermarket mag and see if it sticks in there a little tighter?

Ive had this problem with other guns and ditched the holster i was carrying it that is usually the problem 95% of the time

1952 - 2006
    I agree with Bud on this. In my experience it is usually the holster that causes the mag to drop.
    I know that Glock 19's have a tendency to drop the mag when worn in a certain Galco Duty holster. When guys would get out of the vehicle they would find the mag was still in the car. When I examined the problem I noticed that the inside of the holster made contact with the mag release when pressure was exerted from the outside of the holster. (example: the center console of the car would push the gun against you).
    So if this happens check how the holster rides against the mag release.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

You guys are right on target. The holster is the main problem.

I just had this happen to me again less than an hour ago. As I was walking into a restaurant I heard a click and felt a something move. I quickly placed my hand over it and headed for the men's room. - It didn't eject completely out of the gun this time.

The mag release is right under the edge of this holster. None of my other holsters ever did this. I am thinking that if the gun went a tiny bit deeper into the holster or even not in QUITE as far that this might not be as likely to happen. I'll look at it this weekend. (-Maybe a little surgery on the holster. - or maybe I could file down the release button.)

The PT-111 is an odd gun. The trigger has really smoothed out. It has been extremely reliable. I cannot explain the accuracy. My Dad laughed at me when he first shot targets with me - until he saw what I could do with it. Then he tried it and he could not believe the accuracy out of that short a barrel. I can't shoot my Beretta (5 in barrel) any better really.

I wish someone made something that was as accurate and concealed as well in DA/SA.

Lead Moderator
    I am positive it is the holsters fault. My PT140 did the same only didn't fall out. Luckily I didn't have to use it or would of had 1 shot and the mag would have dropped. Since changing to a diffrent holster the mag. has never come free. The size of the gun is its best feature. I found its small enough to use as a BUG, in the winter in an ankle holster.

Sponsored Links