noisy cricket?

This is a discussion on noisy cricket? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; in commenting to another thread about concealment reminded me, for warmer weather, i want to get a smaller firearm. i don't want to sacrifice caliber ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: noisy cricket?

noisy cricket?

in commenting to another thread about concealment reminded me, for warmer weather, i want to get a smaller firearm. i don't want to sacrifice caliber (i carry a 40 right now) but want something smaller in size a t-shirt can conceal better than my cougar. especially since i don't do inside the pants or small of the back holsters. i can't stand them. i love Beretta's but would love to hear all the recommendations i can get.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Isn't the Cougar a less than full size gun? if so , a loose t shirt and IWB hoster should conceal the gun fairly well. I can have even concealed my HK USPf under a t shirt with IWB holster.
    Why not give it a try, with the gun unloaded , tuck in tin your waist nband and play around ,seeing how well it would work?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

How about the Kahr MK40/PM40? Clothing permitting, I carry its 9mm brother in a pocket holster or IWB during the summer. I can't think of a smaller gun available in .40S&W.

Maybe an H&K P2000SK?

I believe that a Beretta Cougar has an aluminum frame and double stack magazine with grip panels, so it is fairly thick. It is also a heavy gun, as I recall from handling one - maybe over 32 ounces in weight. There are certainly .40 caliber guns that are smaller and lighter weight for easier concealment in the summer.

I would consider something with a polymer frame to get the weight and thickness down. A gun of this type that I have handled and admired (but no fired) is the H&K P2000SK in .40 caliber. This gun has a 3.27 inch barrel, weighs 21 ounces empty, and holds 9+1 rounds.

Check out the Kahr MK40 all stainless steel. The M is for Micro.
    My small carry gun is a Kahr MK9 all stainless steel. I like it a lot, shoots straight and never jams. Eats anything I feed it except Speer ammo. I pocket carry, IWB and OWB, depending on how I'm dressed.
    Sometimes I don't even know it's there. I use the Micro Kahr anytime its not convenient for me to carry my usual S&W .45 Auto.
    A good review of the MK40 by Massad Ayoob is found at http://www.kahr.com/review_gm_0400.html
    Last edited by bones; February 4th, 2007 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Added a web link
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

pogo2 nailed it rocky. it's considered less than full size because of it's 3.5" barrel but it's as thick and heavy as any full size. keep the ideas coming guys, i'm greedy like that. ha, and pics are great too.

There are lots of small .40's
    Kahr, S&W, Walther, H&K, Springfield etc.........
    1st: Find the one that fit's your hand best, 2nd: Fit it into your budget.

How about a Kimber Ultra Carry? Lighter thinner, shorter grip, and .45caliber to boot!
    str1

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    what about a revolver in 357? one of the airweight guns. very concealable and VERY powerful. does it have to be a semiauto?
    God Bless
    Last edited by chiefs-special-guy; February 19th, 2007 at 07:47 AM. Reason: typo!
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Depends on how small you really want to go. Sub-compact guns are very short, but they tend to be just as thick as their big brothers. It sounds to me like something with a single-stack mag would be best, to keep it thin, even owb. You might look into a 1911-based compact, or a Bersa .380 Thunder. Both are pretty thin guns. I used to have a Beretta Bobcat that I called The Noisy Cricket, and it's offered in .32acp, but that might be a little too small.

I picked up a PT111 since my full size S&W was just a tad heavy... works okay for me so far.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar

Take a peek at the Springfield Armory

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I believe that a Beretta Cougar has an aluminum frame and double stack magazine with grip panels, so it is fairly thick. It is also a heavy gun, as I recall from handling one - maybe over 32 ounces in weight. There are certainly .40 caliber guns that are smaller and lighter weight for easier concealment in the summer.

I would consider something with a polymer frame to get the weight and thickness down. A gun of this type that I have handled and admired (but no fired) is the H&K P2000SK in .40 caliber. This gun has a 3.27 inch barrel, weighs 21 ounces empty, and holds 9+1 rounds.

XD 40 subcompact it weighs in at 20.5 oz empty and holds 10rds.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Kimber Ultra CDP II...

I second that choice...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

theres about 6 different models of Glock 2 in each of 9mm, .40 cal and .45 acp.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

VIP Member
    Glock 27. I don't see the need to even consider anything else. But, then I love Glocks.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links