Kimber ultra carry II owners need feedback

This is a discussion on Kimber ultra carry II owners need feedback within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'am considering a kimber ultra carry II but have head that small (under 4 1/2in. 1911's) are unreliable,is this true? FWIW I've heard this about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber ultra carry II owners need feedback

Kimber ultra carry II owners need feedback

I'am considering a kimber ultra carry II but have head that small (under 4 1/2in. 1911's) are unreliable,is this true? FWIW I've heard this about full size 1911's to and all mine run and have run fine. I'am huge 1911 fan and w2ould really like to give one of these kimbers a try so what have your experiance been with these guns for out of the box reliability? and can you post pics of your guns please thanks guys.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    might try a search , but short story, so folks have had problems w/ 3" 1911's. Some will defend em too saying theirs work fine. seems a bit hit or miss to me, I did not wish to chance getting a unreliable gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Mine hasn't had a hiccup in over 800 rounds. It runs fine, and yeah, I I trust my life to it.

Like Rocky said though ... there have been instances where the Kimber Ultra Carry II has been a lemon right out of the box, and no amount of trips back to the factory fixed it. Most of those problems were attributed to an external extractor .. which is probably one of the reasons Kimber went back to the internal extractor.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Short barrel 1911 posts

If you post a question here regarding 1911s with 3 inch barrels, you will get approximately 5 replies from people who don't own one but have heard that they are unreliable. You will also get 8 replies from people who have one and have not had any problems with it. And you will get 1 or 2 replies from people who owned one, had reliability problems, and got rid of it. I have read maybe 25 such chat threads, and that is the usual pattern.

Personally, I have a 4 inch Kimber 1911 and a 3 inch Colt 1911, and have not had any problems with either of them. The Kimber has maybe 1000 rounds through it now, and the Colt has about 600 rounds through it. At this point I trust them both and have carried them both.

Like most things in life, you pay your money and take your chances.

I have an ultra carry ss and it has been great out the box. I have about 1000 round down the range with this gun and it is my main carry gun. The only thing i did to it was use the kimber pro mag's. If you can rent one from a gun shop i wouold do so and try it for yourself. Saving up to get a pro carry 40.cal or another ultra carry in .40 cal. wont know until i hit the gunshop.
    My Home Is Protected BY
    Mossberg and Kimber
    The People who Take a Bite out of Crime

1911 Ultra Carry .45 .40 and 9mm
    Mossy 590 12G

VIP Member
    I do not own one, but am looking to buy one. I have been around enough people that do own them to know that they are reliable (I am sure there are exceptions) and great carry guns. The fact I am thinking of getting rid of the Glock in favor of one should speak volumes about my trust level.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Lead Moderator
    My point is you roll the dice and take your chances. The odds are you probably will get 1 that work, some chance of getting 1 that needs a trip to the factory or smith, smaller chance you will get a lemon.
    I weighed these chances, then decided to go with a 4" barreled 1911. Personally, I feel I made the right choice, mostly because the longer barrel makes for a longer sight radius and easier for me to carry.
    What ever ya choose, enjoy your 1911!
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Just Like Cars...

Had a Ford I liked...one I hated, same thing with Chevy and Dodge too!

I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II...NO PROBLEMS, ever! I've known of one fellow (only one) who bought a Wilson...and it need some minor fixin'...

So I agree with Rocky...if it's mechanical, you still take your chances.

I have two Kimbers and would not hesitate to buy another...as long as I can sneak it into the house...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Love mine

Had mine for about a year and have shot everything through it with 2 issues in first 50 rounds...
    1) bag magazine that was replaced failed to feed last round (once and mag go bye-bye)
    2) one stovepipe... I limp wristed... Bad Day at Blackrock

GOTTA BREAK IT IN.... Like All of 'em & "DON'T" buy "CRAP" Mags... spend a few bucks your family is worth it

All my 1911's have been officers or shorter and never a problem
    Condition "yellow" is a heightened state of awareness & response.
    It is not paranoia...
    "IT IS YOUR ONLY ROUTE TO SURVIVAL"

An armed & knowledgeble Citizen has significantly increased their chances of continued Freedom & Safety... SO ALSO IMPROVED IS THE FUTURE OF THEIR NEIGHBORS

I have an UC II and for the first 800 or so rounds it gave me FITS, I seriously considered seeing how well it would swim in the river many times. However once I got it broken in it has been great. I carry it about half the time in my pocket as my self defense pistol and trust it completely. They, not all, do seem to have more growing pains but when they get to running right, they seem to be superb firearms.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I've had a full size Kimber CDP and a Pro CDP (4" barrel). Both guns were very reliable. The full size had a few FTF but after replacing the mag with a Wilson, no more problems.

Never a problem with my Kimber Ultra CDP II, my primary carry. I shoot a 1911 better than anything else and have a lot of confidence in the weapon, and my ability to handle it.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I have a Kimber Tactical Ultra II (3"), 700+ rds, no problems at all, it shoots better than I do (as demonstrated by another shooter).
    The fact that you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

I have one and had problems at first,the slide was locking back prematurely,but come to find out it was my grip not the gun.I changed my grip and problem went away.since then I've put maybe 700 or 800 rounds through it with no problems.I trust it completely. sj

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    My Nephew has the Kimber Ultra Carry II and has had no problems with it.
    For God, Family and Country!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links