Taurus 44 TEN revolver

Taurus 44 TEN revolver

This is a discussion on Taurus 44 TEN revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have ordered a Taurus 44 Ten revolver, which is a small frame gun that shoots 45 colt and 410 shotshells (2.5 inch cases). It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 44 TEN revolver

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar

Taurus 44 TEN revolver

I have ordered a Taurus 44 Ten revolver, which is a small frame gun that shoots 45 colt and 410 shotshells (2.5 inch cases). It is a strange gun, to say the least, and I suppose not a real practical one, but I like quirky stuff. It should be in tomorrow, and I will report.
    Does anyone have one of these? I am getting the 6.5 inch barreled blue one, instead of the "snubby" version. I have seen other revolvers that shoot 410, also derringers, but I wouldnt really want to do so. This thing looks feasible. Maybe as a trail gun, although it is steel and weighs over 30 oz. I have never bought a Taurus before.
    Okay, I admit that I am a nut.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Ah, "The Judge" Guy I shoot with sometimes, came to the range 3 weeks ago with one. Brought along some clay birds. He is a pretty good shot. I didn't know of this gun, and when he started shooting clays with what I thought were .45's, I thought I had met a God. Didn't seem right that every time he reloaded, he would turn away to do it. After 10 min or so, he confessed about the .410 shells. I don't know, for me the jury is still out on this one. It is a HEAVY gun, not as much recoil as one would think, shooting shotgun shells. I tried a fw shots, I just don't know if I like it or not.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Assistant Administrator
    I may not remember right but thought dr_cmg had gotten one last year. Or was it Tangle? Anyways - an interesting piece at very least!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Cool. Looks like one I would like to shoot.

Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Looks like a great "snake" gun for anyone out in the wilderness! Congratulations!

Just picked up a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .44mag (KSRH-2), to complement the Marlin 1894P rifle in the field. Got to love a good revolver.

Haven't yet hit the range to wring it out. 41oz unloaded. Good thing, too, given that it's .44 magnum. Would prefer a 3" bbl, but the stout design should better handle the harsher loads (as compared to, say, a S&W 629). Will post some pics once it has gotten some range time.

Congrats on the new 4410! I know where you're coming from.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Chris (P95Carry) is right. I bought a 44 Ten Revolver back in August. My cousin bought one for his under the counter gun in December.

Ours are a little different from the ones that chiefs-special-guy has mentioned. The ones we have, mine is blue and my cousin's is stainless, have 4 inch barrels. There are not 44 Tens with 4" barrels according to Taurus' website. It turns out that Sports South Inc. a major distributor out of Shreveport, LA did not like the barrel lengths offered by Taurus. So they contracted with Taurus to build the 4" version just for them. I only know of one dealer who has had any and he can't keep them.

The link above has pictures of mine and reposts on shooting. I found the .45 Colt in it to be very accurate and easy to shoot. The .410 does an admirable job at providing coverage at a reasonable distance. When the weather warms back up some, I am going to do some experimenting with loads other than the 000 Buck that I have in the 44 Ten presently. If I can find some 00 or may 0 I will try them. I would like to get a little wider pattern than is possible with the 000 at the distances that the 44 Ten would be used in a home defense situation. We'll see what happens and will be reporting back as we learn.

BTW, I have fire about 50 rounds of .410 000 and 100 rounds of .45 through the 44 Ten and have had only one problem and that was a .45 round that did not fire. The primer on it is sitting rather low, but the firing pin put a good indentation in it, but the round did not fire. Obviously it was a bad round. Everything else that has gone through it has fired with no problem. My practice .410 is Sellier & Bellot 000 and the .45 practice was some cowboy action lead round nose. The load for in the house is 3 .410 Winchester SuperX 000 Buck and 2 .45 Colt CCI Blazer 200 gr. JHP. The second JHP is under the hammer so that the 3 000 Buck rounds will be the first fired. The two JHP rounds will be last.

You do not want to show up at my house unannounced. My wife is an excellent shot and the 44 Ten stays with her.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Administrator
    This gun looks super neat, I need to get one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Looks like a great home defense gun.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

It is marketed as a CQ truck gun in the ads they run during the Personal Defense TV show.
    I'm also more than interested, if only I could think of a place to securely stash it in my cab. I have thought about fixing a holster for it on the front of my seat between my legs.
    Has anyone seen/got a holster for theirs?

well, the gun has arrived at the gunshop and i will pick it up today. report to follow. 389 dollars new.
    God Bless

initial inspection

I got the "judge" revolver, and have examined it fairly closely.it has 6.5 inch barrel, is blued, has a very long cylinder, ribber grip, weighs about 33 ounces, and is chambered for 45 colt and 410 2.5 inch shot shells. it is a five shot double action revolver. impressions:
    1. trigger pull is actually not bad. a bit creepy and gritty, but not very heavy. the angle of the trigger to finger relationship is not ideal, maybe due to the very long frame. it has a ruger type safety device.
    2. finish is okay- not great.well below smith and wesson but not bad. some sort of hot blue stuff. fairly even, but not the prettiest i have seen
    3.cylinder has some slop. it locks okay on firing. has some sort of detent to assure alignment, but function is only adequate, maybe a little better than that.
    4. it comes in a cheap cardboard box, not a plastic case. they include the keys for the internal lock, manual, warranty and nothing else. very minimal.
    5. the sights are fairly good looking- some red fiber optic in front, fixed (?) in the rear. nothing appears adjustable, at least not without effort.
    okay. it is a mass-produced, fairly low cost revolver. it is very very ugly, but in a cool way. taurus quality is not as good as sw.but price is lower, of course.
    Shooting it this weekend. will report.
    God BLess

VIP Member
    I agree the blue is not the best, but the stainless looks really good. Unfortunately it also costs about $40 more. That's why I have the blue and my cousin has the SS. There were only two available at the time.

When you start to load the .410s you may find them very tight. I though mine was defective when I got it because it was so hard to put the .410s in. I discovered two things. It is tight and I had some ammo that had evidently been stored on the side of the box so every other round was a little deformed on the crimp end. The others were tight, but the deformed ones would not load at all. I have stored them now back on the brass and it has helped some. When I get down to have just the deformed ones to shoot I'll get a battery post cleaner and reshape them.
    Last edited by dr_cmg; February 9th, 2007 at 09:40 PM.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Hey doc.....does it fit in the UC Comfort? LOL. I been lookin at that dang thing since it was anounced and just bugging myself over getting one. If I make it through 2007 without one of them crawling (honest honey I dont know how it got there) into my gun safe I will be really suprised. For me that just screams the type of thing I'd like to have on my hip while bow hunting incase I came across a upset cougar or black bear.....not to mention the first up would be with home made shot load to deal wif uncle rattle who can really ruin my hunting trips.

Looks real sweet and I hope it last you a long time.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    Steve, as you look just remember that there is one barrel length that is not shown on the Taurus website. I imagine that they will add it as soon as the exclusive agreement they have with Sports South is over. I looked at the 3 in. and the 6.5 in. barrels and decided I really liked the Sports South 4 in. better. The dealer I bought mine from can't keep them. He has the others as well, but they don't sell like the 4 in.

There was a question earlier about holsters and at one time Kramer made a horizontal shoulder holster for it. The last time I looked it was no longer on their website. I first read about the 44 Ten last year in the May issue of my wife's "Woman's Outlook" magazine from NRA. The 3 in. barrel version was featured on the cover in the Kramer holster. I would like to find something that my wife could carry the 44 Ten around the house in. Something like this is what I have in mind. She usually wears a lab coat or light jacket in the house no matter the season so it could easily keep this rig covered.

Don't want to scare the UPS man or whoever might legitimately come to the door. So cover is a good idea. I will eventually get one of our custom makers to make something similar to that for her. Who knows I may get two and buy another 44 Ten for me to have around the house as well.
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links