Sig P238 Sticky Slide

Sig P238 Sticky Slide

This is a discussion on Sig P238 Sticky Slide within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a Sig P238 a few months ago and I'm loving it. Wonderful little pocket pistol with one (probably insignificant) issue: the slide sticks. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Sig P238 Sticky Slide

Sig P238 Sticky Slide

I got a Sig P238 a few months ago and I'm loving it. Wonderful little pocket pistol with one (probably insignificant) issue: the slide sticks. Now it never happens on the range, but the slide will sometimes stick leaving about 5mm of the recoil guide sticking out (just after the barrel starts being lifted). I've made sure to lube the barrel, the spring, the rod, the slide stop, and the barrel guide, but it still happens with no regular pattern. It only happens when there's NO ammo in it (both with and without a magazine) and completely at random, I've had it happen after a day at the range before cleaning, immediately after cleaning and lubing, and when I'm messing about with it (draw and aim, getting the right stance/grip, little defensive drills, and so on), and when just looking at how dang pretty it is (it's the engraved one with pearl grips). I've looked for any defects in the guide, spring, etc and I can't find anything. Is this just something weird with mine, something to do with break in, or is it nothing?

I'm probably just getting worked up over nothing since it's my favorite out of all the guns I've used/owned since I always wanted a tiny pocket gun and this was MUCH better for carry than a Jennings or Baby Browning (and much better looking than a PPK IMO). Any info or fixes would be appreciated since Google seems to tell me no one else is having the issue, or just something to assuage my fears. I'd hate to have to send it away for fixing if I don't absolutely have to since it's so nice to have in my pocket even with carrying something bigger.

Also any recommendations for carrying a 226 TacOps? I got it because I liked the ammo capacity and grip ergonomics (both extremely important in my case for medical reasons) and figured I could conceal it easily with an in the waistband holster, but it's bulkier in the waistband than it looks and a belt carry sticks way out. Most likely just the holsters I got but could just be me being a noob to the whole thing. My Google-fu is weak on this.

First, welcome to DC. Next, if it were mine, I wouldn't even consider putting it into a carry rotation before I took it to a gunsmith and had him/her look it over. I would also take a serious look at how I am manipulating the slide while running drills. You don't say whether you had this happen while putting rounds downrange, but from your post I am PRESUMING it runs good on the range. Just my $0.05's worth. Good luck.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - T. Jefferson

Sorry though I put that in. Only happens when unloaded, when firing everything goes fine, never happened when using dummies either.

Are you riding the slide home, as opposed to releasing it and letting it snap back?

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Sounds like you need a better holster or you have to change your MOA when holstering - pushing into the holster by pushing only on the back of the slide. The SIG P938/P238 do not lock the slide when the thumb safety is on - it only locks the slide when the hammer is down (either on an empty breech or on a live cartridge). If your holster is leather it may be too tight and when the slide slips in it will move back due to pressure on the slide sides, or if the front sight hits the top of the inside of the holster it will move the slide back. If your rear sights hit the holster then it is the wrong holster. Striker fire pistols also do this, sometimes. Some striker fire guys will push down on the slide back when holstering.

Look for a kydex holster that has plenty of room around the sight as it is inserted and when it is all the way in. I wouldn't want to train so that the sight is dragged on the way out or dragged and flipped on the holster lip as it comes out of the holster. Plenty of 1911ers will fit their thumb between the slide and the hammer while it is being holstered and/or push the slide down-and-in when holstering (difference is a 90 push - 4 fingers parallel to hip or at a 90 open palm push, like a salute or a left hand turn signal - thumb face pressing against the hammer or pressing against the firing pin (obviously you really won't be able to push against the firing pin!))

How to test: before un-holstering, lightly hold the back of the slide. If you can move the grip back then the slide moved back when holstering. Or randomly pull out the whole holster and look at the front guide rod position. If it is sticking out, as it does now, then know that the slide went back when holstering. So get into the MOA of pushing the back of the slide after the grip is all the way in. After awhile you will be doing it all the time - you will sit down and unconsciously you will start to push on the back of the slide, or before you get out of the car you will push the back of the slide inward. Do you want to have that as a habit? That is the question to ask.

Look at the very end. Striker fire pistol.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. Are you holding the slide as it returns to battery, using the slide lock release lever or sling shooting it? If the first method, that is probably your issue. You need to let the slide and return spring do what they are designed to do.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm disabled is this recommended gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob_Conner View Post
    I'm disabled is this recommended gun?
    It depends on what your disability is. The Sig 238 is a great little gun, but little guns are not for beginners. Short grips and short sight radii work against hitting your target with repeatability.

Rather than hijack this thread, go start a new one. I think we have enough members who either have disabilities or who have worked with disabled people to provide useful guidance and commentary.
    mck1975 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I took it in to the smith I bought it from. He looked it over and the recoil spring was slightly deformed. He swapped in a new one and cleaned and lubed the bajesus out of it and all is good, all at no cost to me (love that guy).

And Jacob depends on the disability. I've got Ehlers-Danlos(genetic connective tissue disorder) and Fibromyalgia(chronic pain disorder) which makes ergonomics, weight, and recoil very important (which is why I got the 238 instead of the 938) and the 238 is a dream to shoot. For me it feels like it has very low recoil, feels and looks beautiful in the hand (even better with extended magazine which gives you a place for that dangling pinkie), and is easily concealed in a pocket. Of course it's a Sig so it and the mags are expensive and being a .380 ammo can be pricy as well, but it's still my favorite out of all my guns. My advice is to check it out in a shop, get a feel for how it fits in your hand and try to find a range that might rent you one (always nice to be able to try before you buy).

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links