Revolver Question

This is a discussion on Revolver Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is anybody out there familiar with a double action revolver where the cylinder release is on the RIGHT side of the frame and the cylinder ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revolver Question

Question Revolver Question

Is anybody out there familiar with a double action revolver where the cylinder release is on the RIGHT side of the frame and the cylinder swings out TO THE RIGHT? I'm speaking here of a snubnose, looks like a S&W model, but I never saw a revolver where the cylinder moves out to the right side of the gun.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Did you see it in person or in a pic?? If a pic the slide could have been flipped but no i have never seen one reversed.

Wowee that is bizarre... did someone make a left handed revolver?

Okay, here's the tricky part I failed to mention: I saw it as part of a "Flashback" sequence in a movie. SO it could have been a movie prop, but I doubt it. Most of those guns (unless it's a sci-fi flick) are based on real guns, just modified to fire blanks. I was just wondering if there's a revolver for "lefties" out there.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Never seen one closest ive seen is a single action army best left hand wheelie out there ... I would love to see a pic of one though ... What movie?

It was on a few minutes ago, a flashback scene in the tv series "Lost." If it makes any difference, the scene was taking place in Australia.

Ahh havent seen anyof them so i cant help

Here's a thought... could it have been maybe for some special effects reason, it was footage of a conventional revolver but for some reason they showed its mirror image?

Lead Moderator
    Never seen a revolver like that. Would be too weird for me anyway. I never had a problem with speedloading , as I am a leftie and trained on M66 s&W's.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Never seen a revolver like that. Would be too weird for me anyway. I never had a problem with speedloading , as I am a leftie and trained on M66 s&W's.
    Actually to be honest I never really thought left handed shooters were at a big disadvantage with a revolver at all. I know lots of right handed shooters (mostly female) who shoot with one hand and operate the controls with the other hand. I used to do this until I got better handling skills and learned to do it without actually looking at the controls. The concept seems like it would be simple enough to apply to a revolver with the release on the "wrong" side.

Even at that, my coordination with my left hand is very poor and I can push the cylinder release forward with my finger while holding it left handed. I'd imagine someone who wasn't a clutz like I am could learn how to do everything left handed.

If anything I am surprised lefties don't prefer revolvers because they don't spit hot brass in your face regardless of which hand you fire them with.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    If anything I am surprised lefties don't prefer revolvers because they don't spit hot brass in your face regardless of which hand you fire them with.
    I don't own a single automatic that spits brass in my face as a lefty - the Sigs throw them up and over the back of the slide on the internal extractor models slightly to the right. They've never even come close to peppering me.

Ditto on the Berettas, Hi-Powers, 1911s, etc. in my safe. I have some rifles that want to make me dive for cover if I shoot left handed, but I'm a righty with rifles 99% of the time.

The Desert Eagle will send one straight at your forehead if you limp wrist it, but that's about it.

As a lefty i dont have the Hot brass problem either .. Only problem i have had is with controls i really tried to like sig but control layout was to wild from rest of my guns.

One time i had that happen was shooting a Friends 1911 i promptly retensioned the Extractor and no problem .

Lead Moderator
    My AR tosses brass at me, I have modifyed the ejector spring and need to test it. All my pistols seem to throw the brass well behind and away from me. Funny how lots of folks think the Colt Single action army is made for lefties. In reality it was designed to be reloaded from horseback, hence holding the gun and reins while riding,reloading.

VIP Member

I watched the "Lost" episode last night....

on tape after I got home from work, and was watching for the scene ExSoldier762 pointed out (I check out CombatCarry on my computer at work ).
    They showed Sawyer's revolver several times throughout the show and it was always a standard open-to-the-left action, until he was sitting in the car getting ready to shoot the "bad guy". When he checked the cylinder, it clearly opened to the right.
    My guess is this: that scene was probably filmed in Hawaii, where the series is actually located. Since he was supposed to be sitting in an Australian car, and Aussie cars have the steering wheel on the right side, they probably figured it was cheaper just to reverse the image on film than have a right-side-drive car imported for this brief scene.
    Last edited by acparmed; February 18th, 2005 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Requested by Team American

1952 - 2006
    Let's get back to the subject matter here please.
    This forum is for guns, not your favorite TV shows.
    Let's please get back to guns people.
    Thanks
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links