Got it down to two, now P99c vs G23

This is a discussion on Got it down to two, now P99c vs G23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone shot both? This will be my primary carry weapon, i'm buying with a tax return so cost of both is covered. My thinking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got it down to two, now P99c vs G23

Got it down to two, now P99c vs G23

Has anyone shot both?
    This will be my primary carry weapon, i'm buying with a tax return so cost of both is covered.

My thinking is the Glock because of the reliability, but the p99 is a little more concealable, and I'm very active.

I would be getting the P99 in a .40 so it would only be able to carry 10+1.

One other thing that makes me want to go with the Glock is how I hate how it looks, that tells me I like it for other, more important reasons.

This week I'll try to shoot both at a local range to help in my final decision.

2. Remove Ads

I've never shot a P99, but I can tell you that the G23 is an excellent CCW. It is not hard to conceal, but if you want further concealment go for a G27. With any one of the +1 floor plates for the magazine your right back up to 10+1 like the P99 and it is still easy to conceal. I've had the Pearce, Scherer and the Glock +1 plates. I think that the Glock one is the best.

Good luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

That P99 sure looks nice and I would love to shoot one, but I have a Glock 23 and it is the ONE gun I will never get rid of!!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Ron
    I have a P99c and love it. If you get it, I highly recommend you get the A/S trigger. The P99c is truly a great gun. It is light weight and highly concealable. Very reliable, and highly accurate out of the box. With the A/S trigger you get a decocker safety so that after you rack the slide and chamber a round, you can decock the striker and shoot in DA, with subsequent shots the sweetest SA pull of any gun I have ever shot. One caution, however, is that I understand that the recoil in the .40 P99c is quite snappy. I have it in 9mm and the recoil is very moderate with the gun coming right back on target after each shot.

Good luck on whatever you dcecide.

Ron

I own neither but have shot both. For me, I found the P99c to fit my small hand better. Other than the mag release, I found the overall ergonomics of the P99c to better as well.

Regardless which you decide, both are excellent choices.

I should mention that the P99c was in 9mm, but that doesn't change how it felt.
    Last edited by eagle5; February 6th, 2007 at 01:15 PM.

IMHO, if you were to buy a G27 and add the +1 floor plate on it, you are almost at the same length of handle as if you are carrying the G23. This is the hardest part of the gun to hide, so I would not go that way. I carry a G27 and would just leave it as it is. The +1 Floor plate is fine for practice shooting, but I would not carry that way. This is just me though.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

I haven't shot either one of the two but I'd go with the P99.
    It's not that there is anything wrong with the Glock per say, just that I've never held one that I found to be comfortable.

Administrator
    I've shot both, a lot. There is no competetion between the two, the g23 is winner hands down.
    If nothing else, its been around longer, holsters, parts, magazines are far easier to get.

Since when do you buy a guard dog because its pretty? You dont. You buy the one that works.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree 100%!!

VIP Member
    P99c (especially with the AS trigger) for me.

I love mine (and my two P99's). I've never experienced a single reliability issue with mine, it's accurate, easy (in fact a joy) to carry, and easy to modify to suit your needs with it's user interchangeable sights and backstraps.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

You're right, the glock aint that pretty. I've shot both and would definately go with Glock. Why? Reliability- Standard parts (get 'em anywhere) If it breaks, there's alot more gunsmiths who are Glock trained.

Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    IMHO, if you were to buy a G27 and add the +1 floor plate on it, you are almost at the same length of handle as if you are carrying the G23.
    I like Ron's idea. Carry the 27 and buy a G23 or G22 mag as your refill.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    I've got an SW99 so I'd go with the P99. I think you'll find anyone that owns those guns will tell you that reliability is top notch. I've got close to 1k rounds through my SW99 and I've only had one FTF (light strike on a hard primer). And as far as parts, you can always send it to Walther/S&W for repairs if you need to.

VIP Member

Maybe the 99c

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Has anyone shot both?
    This will be my primary carry weapon, i'm buying with a tax return so cost of both is covered.

My thinking is the Glock because of the reliability, but the p99 is a little more concealable, and I'm very active.

I would be getting the P99 in a .40 so it would only be able to carry 10+1.

One other thing that makes me want to go with the Glock is how I hate how it looks, that tells me I like it for other, more important reasons.

This week I'll try to shoot both at a local range to help in my final decision.

I have the S&W 99C .40 A/S. It has not been totally reliable. An occaisional failure to eject; stovepipe, and the muzzle tilt caused me to get it MagnaPorted (I know, I know).

Still, I just have never felt comfortable with the safety of the Glock. I prefer the hard double action trigger of the S&W or Walther 99c, and the other issues are mostly handled by being meticulous with cleaning between shooting sessions. Keeping the magazines clean and lubricated has drastically cut down on the stove pipe issue.

(Had been thinking about a XD9 sc until I read the comments today about "safety grips" and how they sometimes keep you from firing. An open hammer 1911 style or variant is still the best bet in my opinion, and if it is SA only, that is good too. Cocked and Locked.)

I've shot the P99 in 9mm before and I used to own a Glock 23...******...wish I still did. The P99 felt AWESOME in the hand, but like's been said before - parts! I can totaly strip and repair a Glock with my eyes closed.

You gotta mail the P99 back to S&W/Walther for any repairs.

VIP Member
    You will be real happy with the G23...good gun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links