Para Problems!

Para Problems!

This is a discussion on Para Problems! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So on Friday 1/26 I purchased a new Para Ordnance SSP 19911 full size. On Saturday I took it to the range and put 125 ...

Thread: Para Problems!

Para Problems!

So on Friday 1/26 I purchased a new Para Ordnance SSP 19911 full size. On Saturday I took it to the range and put 125 rds through it. It functioned flawlessly. It was really a great gun to shoot. It pointed very naturally, great trigger and neddless to say, way more accurate then me. When I got back home I field stripped it to clean it only to discover that the slide stop pin that goes through the barrel link was sheared in half. There was just barely enough to hold the barrel link in place. I have to think that this was not a particularly good thing.

On Monday I called Para and of course they are sending me out a new part. I have dealt with Para before and there customer service seems pretty good. Still, the whole experience is just kind of annoying. This is my third Para pistol and my third experience with a defective part within a day or two of purchase. I guess I am a glutton for punishment.

There is something just not equitable about the whole situation. I pay a LOT of money for a new pistol. There is a broken part. I get to wait for a new part. When the part finally arrives I now have what I paid for in the first place, a gun that shoots. No apology. No expidited shipping. No little gift to pretend that they care. No mention of the serious safety concern. It just does not sit right and the fact that they are 0 for 3 does not help matters.

The service representative said; " We will get this out to you as soon as possible. It will go out regular shipping. If not today then hopefully tommorrow". Oh well, I guess I get to vote with my feet.

2/6/07
    So yesterday I received my new slide stop from Para. The first thing I noticed was that it was black and not stainless like the original. I figured screw it I can live with it and excitedly started to put my SSP together. No go. The slide stop pin would just not go all the way through. So I tried it on just the frame, still no go. I retrieved the broken stop and found that it fit flush. The angle of the new one will just not permit it to go in flush. So I figure it is either the wrong part or it is defective. I have emailed Para with photos and requested a call back today. We'll see what happens.

Looks to me like they sent the wrong part.
    Sorry to hear you've had troubles with your Para(s), I have an LDA CCO that's given me zero problems (not counting the fact that it doesn't like Rem UMC ammo). Hope the problem get sorted out quickly for you and you can get back to shooting the thing.

They were really good to me when my P13 LDA went kaput. You have to wait awhile though. Steve48

Assistant Administrator
    Shucks - that replacement does not even look like a part for anything! Not with that curve on it

Hope this resolves in the end but not too encouraging is it!

My P12-45 had some prob's but that turned out to be a failure of the cast extractor claw - a Brownells ''bullet proof'' replacement sorted that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I was thinking the same thing Chris, that slide stop is definitely warped. Was their QC guy on break when that part slipped through? No excuse whatsoever for a part that out of spec to slip through - especially being shipped to a customer as a replacement for one that already broke!
    Jack

I agree, but was the curve there when he recieved the part, or did it get bent when he tried to install it?

Assistant Administrator
    did it get bent when he tried to install it?
    I'd say if the steel was that crappy then it is junk anyways
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Depends on how much force was used in trying to get it into place
    Though either way it's irrelevant as it was/is the wrong part.

I had a Para LDA 7.45. Sweetest trigger I ever squeezed, and the most accurate 45 I've ever shot. Sold it at a loss, and won't buy another Para due to similar issues, that you are experiencing. When your expensive pistol, starts coming apart on it's own, and shaving metal off it's different assemblies, it's very irritating. I still miss the LDA trigger. Very poor QA/QC at Para Ordnance, IMHO. I wish S&W would build a DAO 1911. Regards 18DAI.

I luv my para 12.45 LDA. Like any other brand, some just slip thru that shouldn't have. In the mean time...I am very pleased.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Update. George Wedge from Para called me today. They are replacing my SSP with a new one. Mr. Wedge tells me that he personally guarantees it's proper functioning. Sounds good to me. I will keep you guys updated.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Do youself a favor order a Wilson Bulletproof slide stop , similar Ed Brown or one from EGW. Best made and they will never break! May set you back $15 to $20 but well worth it for a vital part!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    LOL i will suggest that the first thing you do with the new para is throw away the slide stop , as i understand it they are now mim castings instead of forged . Slide stops are one area you dont really want a mim part . And hey dont feel bad i need to do the same thing with the neat looking checkered slide stop on the kimber i just picked up . Dont get me wrong both para and kimber are fine pistols , but corprate cost cutting occationaly bites the end user on the butt lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Links