.357 sig

.357 sig

This is a discussion on .357 sig within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. I am new to this forum, and I'm not real big into the forums in general. I'm looking into purchasing either a glock ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: .357 sig

.357 sig

Hello all. I am new to this forum, and I'm not real big into the forums in general. I'm looking into purchasing either a glock 32, or a Springfield xd chambered for .357 sig. I am under the impression that by purchasing a glock 23 barrel (40 s&w) i would be able to swap barrels and shoot either caliber. Does the same hold true if I were to purchase an xd 40 cal barrel? If so what are your recommendations? I prefer the xd grip and trigger safety over the glock sole trigger safety. But it would seem glock accessories (I.E. Night sights, holsters etc...) are easier to come by. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Since I'm sure the question will arise

I'd like to be able to chamber either round in one pistol by changing the barrel for the fact that I thoroughly enjoy the .357 sig but the price of ammo compared to 40 is outrageous.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Last I looked XD dont sell the barrels or conversion parts by them sleve .. There migth be after market companies that do this I have to look been a long time since I mess with XDs.. But for parts etc etc etc not a issue .. Getting spare parts more so but for normal stuff like mags /holter etc not a issue .. Due note there is a xdm and xd version so look and see what looks for you

Now for glock yes either putting a 40 cal barrel or a glock 40 cal slide on it will covnerted it .. Now I would not carry it as such unless you fully swap parts ... But for range etc not a big deal

Either gun will have plenty of basic aftermarket stuff night sights and all that so unless there is a certain type you need you should be able to find something ..

As for the safety personal call .. I wont weight on that .. Just shoot them both and see what you like is all I can say..
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Yes. Just for shooting at the range. My wallet would greatly appreciate the cheaper 40 ammo. Any recommendations on after market barrels?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Well it looks like storm lake makes conversion kits for the xd so if you want gun xd ..they aw good to fp
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Bar Stow also makes a conversion barrel
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you
    want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Hello, and welcome!
    I actually have an XD in 357 Sig. I won it years ago in a PPC match. I too wanted a 40 barrel for it and I went with Storm Lake. It seems to be as good as, if not better than the factory barrel. But that is not comparing apples to apples, since different calibers. Long story short, the Storm Lake barrel is great.
    What I have found is that the XD 357 mags are not reliably useful for 40 S&W rounds. I know, you always read/heard that with these two cartridges, the mags should be interchangeable. And to a point, they are. I found that if I fully loaded the 357 mags w/40 ammo, I would get a failure to feed on at least one round per mag. Sometimes, two. My fix was to only load 8-10 rounds, that fixed that. Then I went and bought 4 new XD 40 S&W mags and have had no problems fully loading the mags.
    Speaking of fully loading the mags, the XD mags are by far, the hardest mags I have ever loaded. Seriously! That goes for the original 357's and the new 40 cal's. I have many different brands of Semi Auto pistols, and many mags for each. None come close to the spring strength that the XD mags have. I recently read that someone had a tough time loading Glock mags, I have never heard that before. Glock mags seem well broken in, when new. If that guy ever had to load an XD mag (don't know about XDm mags), he would convert over to revolvers full time.
    I ended up loading 12 rounds in each mag and left them for a month. Now # 11 goes in kind'a tight and #12 is only, just really tough, instead of next to impossible.
    I use the included mag loader with the Xd. I never even considered using one of those for any other mag that I have ever seen or loaded.

As for ammo, check here...
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...Box&groupid=97
    Sold out now, but not a bad price when it is available. I bought 500 of these just to empty out the brass, so I can load my own for $6 a box.

Good luck with your decision.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Repeat...

I'd honestly avoid 357SIG chambered firearms. The round is great, but it's not that much better than 9/40, but the ammo costs almost double. If you bought a 9 or 40, you could shoot twice as much for the same amount.
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array JDavisArk's Avatar
    If you prefer the XD and it's added safety features, I'm sure you could make the conversion one way or another. The thing is, it may cost you more to convert the XD vs the Glock (I have no basis for that assumption really and no experience with the XDs). I do however like my Glocks because they work great for me whether it's carry or competition. The Glock swap is easy. The 357SIG round is pretty sweet if you ask me. That's why I changed my G27 into a G33 with just a new barrel.
    If....(I say if) you go with a Glock on this ordeal, get the G23 then buy a 357SIG barrel for it and you're all set (use your G23 magazines). The 357SIG ammo is still not as plentiful as the 40S&W, but it is coming around after folks bought up the 9mm and 40S&W in the last pandemic. I even find it on the shelf at my local WMart quite often now. Before I was buying in bulk off the internet 250-500rds at good prices. About $32 per box of 50 retail when 40S&W could be around $28 per box of 50 depending (FMJ range ammo) more for PD stuff. This is exactly why my advice would be to buy the basic pistol in 40S&W and then convert it instead of the other way around. Sure....Glock amenities or accessories (factory or aftermarket) are easier to find and likely less expensive simply because of their sheer numbers on the market and in peoples' hands. I also think that if you go for the Glock and a year or so down the road you decide you want to go a different route, it would be easier for you to sell your 40S&W pistol than it would be to sell your 357SIG pistol with or without conversion barrel.
    I do agree that the 357SIG ammo is higher priced, but to me it's worth it. Mine is not for fun at the range by no means, just serious practice sessions for carry.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    How much difference is there between terrorism and tyranny?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    .357 SIG ammo is somewhat limited in availability and load choices. I consider it a 9mm on steroids, as reflected in the price. I reload nearly all my ammo and have a stash of .357 SIG cases--just in case I pick up a gun in that caliber. XDs don't grab my attention, but then a lot of people like them. I think convertions with the Glock would be cheaper, and you can further convert it to 9mm if you so choose.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    I have an XD .45 Tactical and several Glocks. Both are great guns so choose the one that fits you and your shooting/carrying style best. Honestly, I like my XD .45 more than my Glock 21, but when it comes to carry or concealment and power, my Glock 27 and 23 combo has been hard to beat!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

I can't say anything about the XD but I have Glocks. I have a G31C and a G27. I pretty much use Lone Wolf barrels for conversions. The only thing besides barrels I change is mags for the 9mm. I have thousands of rounds thru my converted Glocks with no problems at all.

Some people recommend changing this or that, there simply is no need unless your particular Glock shows problems with the conversion, and that is only when swapping from 45 to 10mm or 40 to 9mm. The 357 and 40 parts are the same, with the exception of older followers were different.

Oh and the 357 Sig is an awesome round, it starts where the 9mm +P+ leaves off and operates at the same pressure.
    oneshot, gatorbait51 and piguy like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

"The way of the warrior does not include other ways.....But if you know the way broadly you will see it in everything"
    - Miyamoto Musashi -

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Buy the XD since they don't make them anymore, or I've not seen on in many years.

Then buy the Glock 32 in either Gen 3 or Gen 4.

Then you will have two great guns in an awesome caliber.

I've posted pages about the virtues of the .357 SIG.

Ammo availability and cost are the only real drawbacks, but I prefer it
    to .40 S&W by a wide margin.

Enjoy the pics, and be free to contact me with any questions.

DOUBLE TAP 357 SIG Photos by czrami | Photobucket

Distinguished Member Array patri0t's Avatar
    I was issued a .357sig G31 when I trained a Reserve Division for a local PD. I found it to be an easy to handle caliber, accurate and knew it was a performer. Good choice for a Duty-Issue.
    Personally, I would choose the sidearm that fit my hand the best for range-only use.
    However, if it was going to be a home-defense sidearm, I might lean toward the XD & grip safety since I often shove a pistol in my back pocket for answering the door. Glock triggers require a holster / trigger cover for carrying around.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Welcome from Kansas. You're in one of the best forums I've found.
    Generally, yes, if you have a .40 (or a 10mm), replace the barrel with a .357Sig barrel and your good to go.
    Downside, price. Even empty brass is had to find.
    If given the choice, I would go 10mm or .38 Super.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Really, I care about your opinion. It seems reasonable.
    Its just that I've ALREADY decided on something else!
    Hint: Its NOT a Glock.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Just buy the 40sw version as you can get underwood ammo that will push a 135gr at 1400fps and nothing heavier is in the 357sig ability. easier to find ammo for the 40 , cheaper even for the premium labels. I carry a 40 cal 155gr at a very real 1302fps average.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links