Tell me about the S&W 3rd gen

This is a discussion on Tell me about the S&W 3rd gen within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was cruising Gunbroker and came across the 5906 and 6906 and got curious so I started looking around on Google. Came across the 5926 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Tell me about the S&W 3rd gen

I was cruising Gunbroker and came across the 5906 and 6906 and got curious so I started looking around on Google. Came across the 5926 , and I really like the lines of these things. I like the Sig-style decocker on the 5926 but I suppose I could deal with the slide-mounted decockers. I know these were favored by law enforcement but other than that all I know is what I find online. I've never seen or held one but I'm really thinking about picking up a couple as money allows, probably a compact and a full size. Are the holsters available for one compatable across all the models? So far I've only found hybrid holsters specified to fit the 5906.
    I came into this world kicking and screaming, covered in someone else's blood; I'm fully prepared to go out the same way.

I have or had 7 or 8 2 and 3 gens .. Old school well built cop guns .yes both holster and mags are still around key me get in front of computer and I'll add moe
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Yes, any info you have on these would be appreciated. From what I've read they're absolute tanks, both in terms of reliability and weight - though I actually prefer a heavier gun. I should clarify, I've found all kinds of leather holsters but I'm more a fan of the leather/kydex hybrids and so far I've only seen them listed for the 5906. Seems there are also single-stacks like the 5945 and that one would be on my list for sure if there are hybrids for it.

Just looking around these guns sell for a price that blows my mind. And the lines... I know form should always follow function but damn these guns are sexy!
    I came into this world kicking and screaming, covered in someone else's blood; I'm fully prepared to go out the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Thompson View Post
    Yes, any info you have on these would be appreciated. From what I've read they're absolute tanks, both in terms of reliability and weight - though I actually prefer a heavier gun. I should clarify, I've found all kinds of leather holsters but I'm more a fan of the leather/kydex hybrids and so far I've only seen them listed for the 5906. Seems there are also single-stacks like the 5945 and that one would be on my list for sure if there are hybrids for it.

Just looking around these guns sell for a price that blows my mind. And the lines... I know form should always follow function but damn these guns are sexy!

They are heavy and built likes tanks ... nice shooters ..

Really they were made as cop guns .. The org single stack one "the The Smith and Wesson Model 39 was the first U.S. designed double action (DA) semi-automatic pistol marketed in the United States. " and it all went from there ... Smith & Wesson Model 39 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Holster hard to say .. I am sure they are kydex rigs out there for them as they are still used by some cop shops

The 59 mags will work in the 49 and 69 guns in fact they make adpatore rings for that for Cops .. 20 round mags are easy to find if you dont mind Mecgear they are s&w made 20 rounders for them but not cheep or easy to find ..But normal 15 rounders are easy to find

Price is not much heck Buds was blowing them out for like 300 bucks each but the one I got was in horrible shape ..

The key is to know the models there were a lot in 9mm/40/45 and even 10mm ( single stack only most )and single and double stack version of all of thouse and compact version of most .. So see what you like and look from there ..

The 69 and 59 are the most well know I would guess

They are like Ruger 95 to me brick like and well built but nice enough esp the model 39 ..The 3913 is still consider to be a great ccw gun .. It is a nice single stack gun

Happy to add more .. There are just so many variotrion it would take a while never mind that they are DAO and normal ones too
    piguy likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I have the 915- a double stack full size auto. It was part of their 'value' line after the 5906, but in my opinion is just as worthy a gun. It is a bit heavy, but easily carried with a good belt and holster. I use an Uncle Mike's iwb holster for it, and have no issues. I know Bianci has holsters to fit; check their website. I really enjoy the 3rd gen guns, and am looking for a good 3913 right now.
    piguy likes this.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

Distinguished Member Array vice87's Avatar
    I have a 6906 and sold a 4506-1. both are sweet shooters.

the 4506 ate anything and everything, including feeding empty cases.

I retired the 6906 from EDC due to a couple failures. ammo related, I think but. it spent a decade on parole and probation duty in 80s and 90s. I keep it around the house, just in case.

you can't go wrong with 3rd gen smiths. personally, I would reserve them for collection and range, but many still carry them. I would definitely carry a 1006 given the chance. Mike1956 would gave info.
    I carry because zombies.

Basically, they are a well-designed group of sidearms. Sufficiently so, that many police agencies relied upon them for years. The 3900 series, 5900 series and 6900 series had various features.

No, holsters generally won't work with all models, as they're different sizes and shapes depending on the model. The nice thing is, many holster makers have the molds for some of the 3Gen pistols. I'm sure you could ask any of them whether they have a given holster that'll work between one of the larger and one of the more-compact variants.

My own personal favorite, in the line: the 3953 DAO, TSW if possible. These pop up now and then, but they're rarer than hen's teeth.

One caveat: beware of the potential lack of parts. Many were made, but they've been discontinued for awhile now. The nice thing is, most old-school gunsmiths seem to have cut their teeth on these units, back when.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My 3913 was purchased new around 1989 and has been fired thousands of trouble-free rounds. The only parts I ever replaced is the recoil spring every few years. My better half has pretty much taken it from me, choosing the the old Smith over many newer carry guns. It does carry and shoot very well.

I recently learned that a +1 mag plate for a Ruger LC9 works like a charm on the the old Smith, giving it 10 rounds in a easy to carry package.
    kahrcarrier likes this.

Even though I'm not a fan of 40 s&w, my 4006 eats everything with boring reliability. Pretty accurate too. I actually prefer the M&P line however.
    zerosoma and Wunderneun like this.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    my 6906
    Very reliable. I have a Milt Sparks on the way for it.

Also have a 5903

I think my father is going to confiscate it.
    zerosoma likes this.
    Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Assistant Instructor @ http://www.green-ops.com/ Located in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area "Why should your training be any less special?"

Distinguished Member Array C Bennett's Avatar
    Guess S&W has discontinued support on them. BUT as said they are decent guns. Smith & Wesson reportedly discontinuing support of 3rd generation guns | GunsSaveLife.com

I have a pair of 3rd gens; a 908 and a 3913. They're outstanding firearms. But S&W had to move on to tupperware to meet the changing market.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

They were discontinued, not because they didn't sell or had issues, but rather because they cost more to make than was covered by the price. IMHO, the 3913 is STILL one of the wisest choices for EDC. And Cylinder & Slide can perform a tuning job that results in an almost unbelievable trigger. I'm ALL IN!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have a 39-2. I love Sigs but I think that gun, accuracy-wise, would cause a Sig to break out in a cold sweat.

Point of aim? Cake.

It IS a pain to take down and clean. Hardest gun (besides a hi-point) I've ever had to strip down, and LOTS of parts, most of them moving parts. I think I had the whole table scattered in parts with springs, pins, washers, etc. It has a barrel lock like a 1911, which is also cool but a pain as you can't just take the barrel out quickly. Putting it back together is a chore as well. Mine required a punch and hammer both to take out and place back the retainer pin. This is one of those guns you run the snot out of and take an afternoon 3x a year to clean it real well. I don't think the user/cop before me cleaned it at all, honestly. I can understand why.

VERY, VERY cool and well-constructed gun otherwise. It's one of those "ill never sell it, because its too cool and ill never see one again" guns. It's also one of those "here, son, pass this down to your kid someday" guns. Don't have children yet but if i do, they're gonna be a plinkster and get this gun when I pass on!
    oneshot likes this.
    Better to have the .22 with you than the .45 you don't.
    I am a proud handloader and I exclusively shoot handloads.
    I also drink the Shield Kool-Aid.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    I have a 4566 and a 6906, neither of which has faltered even once. I've literally cycled empty cases through the 4566. The only thing replaced on them were the recoil springs, as I didn't know how old or how many cycles they had, and the trigger play spring that broke on the 4566, a common problem that does not affect reliability.

My 4566 is my range gun, but the 6906 is 1 of 2 carry guns. Holsters can be found but you have to search. Often a call to a holster maker will find one who still makes holsters for them. even though they're not on the "gun list."

My 4566 is decocker only, the decocker being spring-loaded to return to the fire position. I wish the 6906 were that way also. I have to remember to ensure the safety off when holstering it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links