Primary outa commission!

Primary outa commission!

This is a discussion on Primary outa commission! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So - your fave EDC is in for service - no longer can you have your friend on the hip. What will replace that in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primary outa commission!

Assistant Administrator

Primary outa commission!

So - your fave EDC is in for service - no longer can you have your friend on the hip.

What will replace that in your short (we hope) term deprivation?

Quote 1 and choice for replacement option - and why.

My EDC is 226 ST and if that was gone it would be replaced by 228, with actually little or no real problem. I could live with that - it is so close.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Well, unfortunately (for me), I will be SOL until my agency ships me another weapon since by policy I can only carry (off-duty as well as, obviously, on-duty) a SIGARMS P229 in .40 S&W.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    Chris, you know what's coming from me. My primary EDC is the SIG P239 9mm. If it goes in for service I carry the SIG P239 in .357SIG. The slide is wider at the top, so I would have to use my K&D paddle holster rather than the K&D Cochise Defender IWB that I use for the 9mm. Since I use the paddle and the .357 as my home carry weapon, I am almost as used to it as I am to the Cochise Defender.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    I have two EDC that I alternate every few weeks. Always go to the range to practice with the coming on duty weapon before I carry.

Why do I tell you this? Because it happened to me (back to the gunsmith for an upgrade) and I didn't have something I was comfortable with to carry concealed everyday.

My choice: p-12/45 and CZ RAMI 40 S&W with UBG IWB

Previously: P-12/45 and Colt 1911 Milt Sparks OWB and IWB
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Administrator
    Hmm, let me see. At work I carry a 220. If that one went down, I would go to the safe and dig out another 220 if I could not fix mine.

If one of my personal CW goes down, I have plenty of options. My primary in the winter months is a G19. I would switch to a 228, maybe a 239. I guess I could go with G22 or a 23, but why would I?
    If my PM9 went down, I guess I would suffer and move back to the G19, or go Sipowitz style with a j frame.
    If the deep cover keltec goes down, I guess I would just go buy another one.
    I guess I don't really need to worry about only one of them going down to much.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    Plenty of options is good I am of the opinion these days that only one gun will ever be carry - TOTAL familiarity is name of game. But if an option approximates 1º then so much the better.

Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    I will be SOL until my agency ships me another weapon since by policy I can only carry (off-duty as well as, obviously, on-duty) a SIGARMS P229 in .40 S&W.
    Dang that sucks - and so what happens in between then? No gun? That would really suck. What's the skinny on this then? Or is this hypothetical? Hope so.
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    P95: I operate a one-person post-of-duty for my agency. What I'd likely do in order to secure a replacement firearm is to travel to my reporting office (Miami) ASAP and secure another P229 or P239. But as I traveled to that office, I'd be unarmed....with a broken gun at least.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Plenty of options is good I am of the opinion these days that only one gun will ever be carry - TOTAL familiarity is name of game. But if an option approximates 1 then so much the better.
    Agreed, with the exception of the 220, all my prefered choices operate the same, DAO. I will admit that I really need to remind myself to decock the Sig, Glocks and Kahrs have been my primary for a long time. I love my Sigs though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I carry the XD45C, but I always practice with it and my Kimber. I have been training with 1911s for many years so that is my back up EDC. I also now have a 642 for a back up to the back up.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    P95: I operate a one-person post-of-duty for my agency. What I'd likely do in order to secure a replacement firearm is to travel to my reporting office (Miami) ASAP and secure another P229 or P239. But as I traveled to that office, I'd be unarmed....with a broken gun at least.
    What some friends of mine have done that have policy like your agency was this; They went and got their permits like a regular Joe would. That way, if the need came up, they could carry as a permit holder, not an LEO. They are not subject to the restrictions the agency put on them, but they are not to act as LEO's while carrying their own weapon. Union reps gave the go ahead, and its common practice here in Ohio now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Kimber Eclipse Pro II

Kimber Eclipse Pro II, a backup was one of the reasons I got it. So far I have not needed it.

Plus it is a really pretty gun.

Remember a 9mm may expand but a .45 won't shrink.

Eric

If my Glock 19 went down I'd have a few to choose from. My BUG is a 442. I also have a PM9 and a S&W Boat Anchor known as the Model 22.

I have others, but they are not what I would carry due to size, etc. In fact, the Glock is fixing to become a "House Gun" and I'm going to start carrying my Model 22 when I get it back from S&W.

In a pinch I could use my 686+ or my Glock 34, but I prefer not to. When I switch to the Model 22 I will keep the 442 as my BUG.

Biker

Lead Moderator
    I carry 2 different EDC's . Either a 1911 champ or a HK USP. So 1 goes down, I can switch to the other without problem .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Remember a 9mm may expand but a .45 won't shrink.
    Haha - that's a new one LOL. I am reminded of a sig line on THR ---

''9mm - .45acp set on stun''
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    What some friends of mine have done that have policy like your agency was this; They went and got their permits like a regular Joe would. That way, if the need came up, they could carry as a permit holder, not an LEO. They are not subject to the restrictions the agency put on them, but they are not to act as LEO's while carrying their own weapon. Union reps gave the go ahead, and its common practice here in Ohio now.
    Way ahead of you there SIXTO; I have an FL CCW permit which I obtained before my agency policy was changed to the current standard and carried my favorite Kahr 9mm's under the guidelines of my permit; my agency has in the new policy stated that the policy supersedes any and all private CCW regs.

In other words, :
    1. if I want to carry off-duty, it has to be the issue gun,
    2. I can carry whatever I want in violation of the regs (if I'm caught, I can be subject to disciplinary action up to and including being fired.....needless to say, I'm not much in the mood to get written up or canned so I don't do this),
    3. don't carry anything off-duty.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links