Best compact 9mm with 12/13 round magazine?

This is a discussion on Best compact 9mm with 12/13 round magazine? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greeting! I am contemplating a gun to fill in between my compact eight shot single stacks (391X, P239) and full size service style double stacks ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Best compact 9mm with 12/13 round magazine?

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar

Greeting!

I am contemplating a gun to fill in between my compact eight shot single stacks (391X, P239) and full size service style double stacks (CZ-85, 590X, P89). There are a couple of caveats…

1. Gun must either have a manual ambi safety or a full heavy DA stoke. Striker or other “half-cocked” guns with no manual safety are non-starters.

2. A precise break SA style trigger should be available, no full DAOs.

3. Size should be as small as possible with still maintaining descent grip.

Some possible options include:

PX4 Sub-compact (are non-finger rest base plates available for this gun?)

Sig P224 (tried in shop, did not think it handled well- too short of grip relative to frame and slide)

6906/6904 (keeps continuity with guns I am familiar with already)

Bersa Thunder 9 Compact Pro (had one for a while, sold to finance 3914)

M&P 9C Thumb Safety (minimal experience with this product line)

I welcome your thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,

Hunter
    Last edited by WebleyHunter; January 12th, 2015 at 03:25 PM.

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like a recipe for a one of the compact CZs...like a 75B compact or maybe a P-07... absent a better definition of your size requirement.
    G17leb, RebelSoul and pgrass101 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I took a S&W M&P 9mm Compact through Tactical Responses "Fighting Pistol" course. It ran like a sewing machine. 1k rounds in two days.

Very well made weapon. Saying that, I hit better/easier with a Glock 19.
    Strahan63 likes this.

Are you open to considering a Baby-Glock such as the Glock 26? It comes standard with a 10-round mag, but you can put a 15-rounder in there, and put a rubber pinkie grip on it, so that you have a fair bit of ammo, and your compact gives you a place for your pinkie. I have used them in the past at target practice and they are accurate (I can't carry as I live in Canada).
    StormRhydr likes this.

VIP Member
    My first response was going to be a Sig P250 till I got to the no DAO part. The Bersa may be a good fit.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    A few responses:

Do the compact CZ's come with ambi-safeties/decockers?

Is the thumb safety available on the M&PC have a positive action with good detents, or more of a floppy paddle?

Sorry- Glocks are on my list of NO-GO guns based on personal experience, poor ergos (for me), and lack of positive manual safety combined with the "safe action" trigger. I would consider the P99AS Compact, but is only has a 10 rd magazine as well.

Thanks!

I have two of these. The trigger isn't quite a butter like as my Elite Match, but for an EDC it's better than most you'll shoot! I've shot about 500 rounds so far and not a single hiccup and it's as accurate as any shooter will need.

Witness Polymer Carry- Tanfoglio - EAA Corporation/ USSG
    EAA Witness P-Carry, 9mm
    EAA Witness Elite Match, 9mm
    Too bad they both fell in the lake in the boating accident...

Regarding the safety, if a grip safety is an acceptable substitute for a manual safety - I really like my XD-SC.
    mck1975 and PhaedrusIV like this.
    "...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."

Captain Bellamy

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Keltec P11, true heavy DAO trigger with no safety and is probably the smallest and lightest 9mm that you can buy; that normally can carry 12+1 and if you can find the ultra rare P40 +1 extension, make it a 13+1 carry. Another choice would be the Taurus PT111 G2 with manual safety that carries 12+1 9mm and can be had for right under $200 at some places right now. I hope this helps. God Bless
    Powpig2002 likes this.

The CZ's should be available with a decocker.... it will be designated something like CZ-75D or possibly 75BD, I forget which it is... their P07 model comes standard with a decocker, or can be switched out for the included safety.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Favorite Planet:
    URANUS

If you have a rental range I would tryout the Ruger SR9C. (I have the SR40C) I find the trigger is exceptional. 10+1 (I don't use the Pinky Extension) and 17+1.
    I have the .40 Model and find the Ruger really tames the snap of the .40S&W. Sr40c 12262013c.jpgSR40C ext-12262013.jpgfull.jpg The SR40C & 9C share same dimensions (The 9C is a hair slimmer at slide but can share same holster as 40C)
    "Liberal arguments against guns tend to presume the worst: that a yearning for gun ownership must in some way be rooted in the desire to hurt. But gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love"
    Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

Find a good used Sig p228 and you will be happy.
    Goldy49, Vminghelli and grady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    A few responses:
    Do the compact CZ's come with ambi-safeties/decockers?
    Is the thumb safety available on the M&PC have a positive action with good detents, or more of a floppy paddle?
    Thanks!
    My PCR D (compact) has a decocker. First trigger pull is DA, about like the LCR. No need for a safety, IMO. Capacity is 14+1.
    My Rami (subcompact) has the safety. Capacity is 10+1 or 14+1. I prefer the decocker. Both are insanely accurate and a joy to shoot. I've been thru ~ 30 handguns in 6 yrs and settled on these CZ's. Some folks drink the Glock kool-aid. Not me.....CZ juice for me with Springfields running in 2nd place.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I welcome your thoughts or suggestions.
    HK USP compact has all the qualities you're after. Very nice gun, handles and feels like a larger gun due to HK's recoil system.
    wsquared, Phaedrus and Ranger45 like this.

VIP Member
    The S&W 6906 is a good in-between gun compared to the 5906 and 3913, but I think support from S&W is wavering.

The slide of the S&W 6906 is the same as the 3913 slide, so the 6906 will likely fit a 3913 holster (unless 3913 holster is for rounded trigger guard and 6906 has square trigger guard; or if 3913 is NL or LadySmith and holster is firm such as kydex. Then I'm not sure if you can use the same holster or not).

5906 mags will fit 6906 but will hang out a bit. You can buy an adapter to fill in the gap and use 5906 15-rd mags in the 6906 if you want, or keep the stock 12-rd mags.

The Sig 229 has a larger grip than the 224 you tried, and is close in size to the 6906.

I have both and like both:

The Sig 229 wins on supportability, but the 6906 wins on price (used price is roughly half of a new Sig, and roughly 2/3 of a used Sig. Prices vary.)

The Sig with SRT trigger wins on trigger, but the 6906 trigger is usable.
    Recon1342 and WoodLark like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links