Smith and Wesson or Taurus Snubbie?

• Smith and Wesson

Votes: 114 79.7%
  • Taurus

Votes: 29 20.3%

Somebody stop me!

3K views 35 replies 34 participants last post by  Geezer 
#1 ·
Damn, now I want a snubnose really bad... the question is, Taurus or S&W? I have my eye on a S&W 442 that is $400 (I can probably get it for that out the door), or a S&W 637 for $370. I have also seen some Taurus 85 ultralites ranging from $280 to $300.

So what would you go with? Pay the extra for the S&W or chance it with the Taurus?

Added a nice little poll to help out :)

#5 ·
I am happy with my Taurus's. I carry a 650 every day.

I would recommend them as being the best value. A lot of poeple like the name S&W and don't like anything else.

S&W's fit and finish is generaly better than Taurus's but to me it is not that noticable and not thatimportant in a firearm.

#9 ·
S&W 642 .38spl +p

The 642 is an airweight 5 shot .38spl with a +p rating -with an enclosed hammer. I was very impresssed with it's accuracy at 10+ yards. This is a very nice pocket revolver, it draws extremely smooth from the pocket holster!

I changed to hogue grip for the fact the handle was too small for my hand.

Good luck on you choice!

D-

#15 ·
The new Taurus are supposed to be very good. I wouldn't know, though. I carry S&W J-frame, the one ALL snubbies are compared against.

Seriously, they both good, but you really won't spend that much more for a S&W & it'll be worth more if you had to unload it.

#17 ·
I've got my S&W 642 in my pocket right now, where it normally is. There are times I actually have to check to see if I'm carrying or not, it's become that comfortable. I've never been a fan of Taurus and wouldn't buy one but that's just personal preference.

If I were to buy a snubby from anyone other than S&W it'd most likely be the Ruger SP101 in .357 (okay, I'd spring for a Colt DS in a heartbeat too).
Jack

#21 ·
S & W Here...

Got my wife the 637...she likes it...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret:urla9ub:

#23 · (Edited)
I would jump on that if it doesn't have the internal lock. I have a 60 and 640, both pre-lock. I also have a 340PD, unfortunately it has the lock. I always have my eyes open for a pre-lock 442.

I cannot comment on the Taurus, because I've never owned one. But I really love my S&W j frames.

#26 ·
In the "Concealed Carry Handbook" Chris Bird said that S&W sets the standard but no one needs to apologize for carrying a Taurus.

I have both a S&W640 and a Taurus 85. I mostly carry the S&W640 because I like the extra weight and the recoil is mild, therefore, I practice with it a lot.

The Taurus 85 had a "blowby" problem that Taurus couldn't seem to find or fix. My local gunsmith fixed the problem and it has been 100% reliable ever since. My only problem is that it is so light, the recoil is a bit much for a wimp like me.

I think that if money is an issue, you won't regret getting the Taurus.

The bottom line is that which ever one you get, you will most likely want to get the other one someday.

Sigh. . . . so many guns, so little time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.