You know you're gettin' old when ...

This is a discussion on You know you're gettin' old when ... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; . . . you pick up a couple of holster-worn, re-imported Smith Model 10 heavy barrels at a gun store, fix 'em up, and just ...

Thread: You know you're gettin' old when ...

You know you're gettin' old when ...

. . . you pick up a couple of holster-worn, re-imported Smith Model 10 heavy barrels at a gun store, fix 'em up, and just have to carry them once in awhile because they shoot so darned well.

First time I've carried a wheelgun other than a snubbie in a long, long time. Perhaps Depends aren't too distant in my future.

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up Oldie But Goodie

Just something about those old revolvers......................................... .

And I thought I was the only one who really LOVES the old S&W wheelies. I also appreciate the look of the old "pencil-barrelled" .38 Smithy.

Assistant Administrator
    Hey Jon - good to see ya Where's you bin?

I love larger wheelies and did carry my 28-2 for quite a while. Still would not feel to disadvantaged if I did now. A 4" N frame even is quite concealable - just not in a pocket LOL!.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've got an old Model 10 4" heavy barrel that my late Dad bought in Detroit in 1967 new for $71. It shoots absolutely great. My wife claimed it as her own after we put some nice Hogues on it.

There's something about those old Model 10s that makes them a charming piece of steel....

And Jon, I just had surgery for prostate cancer two weeks ago, and I'm lookin' to get control back to get rid of those pads...I'm too young for this....

When I worked for the NYS Dept of Corrections, that is the sidearm that they use in wall towers and on prisoner transports. I shot very well with the heavy barrel model 10. Everytime I go into the local gunshop for ammo or targets, I look in the used gun section to see if he has one. No luck yet.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I love carring my 15-4 with 4" barrel once in a while and do when hunting just because it feels right.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member
    Model 10's were our issued weapon for pilots in the USMC when I first joined. Qual every year was a snap!
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I love my wheelies. The 629 was my very first handgun purchase way back in '91 around my 21st birthday.

Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I agree that there's something special about a bull barrel model 10. There isn't a handgun made that shoots better for me, so long as it has good grips (factory stocks are horrid!) and a decent trigger job. They are so sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    And I thought I was the only one who really LOVES the old S&W wheelies. I also appreciate the look of the old "pencil-barrelled" .38 Smithy.
    The first handgun I ever bought in '71 was one such. I hesitate to guess how many rounds I have put through it, but it has to be in the tens of thousands. Many auto's and round guns later, it is still my favorite .
    Gun control is being able to hit your target!

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Hey Jon - good to see ya Where's you bin?

I love larger wheelies and did carry my 28-2 for quite a while. Still would not feel to disadvantaged if I did now. A 4" N frame even is quite concealable - just not in a pocket LOL!.
    Been workin, bro! Am in the hunting industry, and spring planting seasons are about to start in Canada and the northern U.S. Then it'll creap on southward. We'll be wall to wall until spring, when herbicide work kicks in, and then it'll be foot to the floor during the heaviest part of our year, the late summer and early fall planting seasons. Then, it'll be ... ahhhhh... time to go hunting (when all the bloomin' administrative duties are handled.

Talking about big pistolas for pocket carry, I'm a bit of a sasquatch and have been known in the past to carry a Sig 220 in my front pocket. Had another great idea once for carrying a larger firearm pocket style. I rigged up a holster system to carry an M1 Garand IWB. I used an angle rig for the muzzle end, and then just relied on belt tension to hold the stock at appendix position. Was a might slow to draw, but WOW did I get propositioned a lot!

Best,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    I agree that there's something special about a bull barrel model 10. There isn't a handgun made that shoots better for me, so long as it has good grips (factory stocks are horrid!) and a decent trigger job. They are so sweet!
    I'm with you, Gary. Just something about the heavy barrelled model. Maybe I have just seen too many Bill Jordan photos over the years. lol!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    And Jon, I just had surgery for prostate cancer two weeks ago, and I'm lookin' to get control back to get rid of those pads...I'm too young for this....
    Ouch! Reminds me of an awful joke.

Q: Do you know why colostomy patients don't go out very often?
    A: It's so hard to find shoes that match the bag.

OUCH!

Sorry.

Jon

Links