Does the search for the perfect concealed carry weapon ever really end?

This is a discussion on Does the search for the perfect concealed carry weapon ever really end? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My question to the members is this, does the search for the perfect concealed carry weapon ever end? My wife, who also shoots, but does ...

View Poll Results: Does the search for the perfect gun ever end?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have the perfect gun and don't need to buy another.

42 20.00%
  • Yes, I have the perfect gun, but maybe there is something better.

51 24.29%
  • No, you will never find the perfect gun.

118 56.19%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree186Likes

Thread: Does the search for the perfect concealed carry weapon ever really end?

My question to the members is this, does the search for the perfect concealed carry weapon ever end? My wife, who also shoots, but does not currently carry, made me take a vow this year not to buy any more pistols for 2 years. My contention is, that you never really now how a pistol is going to work out for you on a day to day basis until you carry it for an extended period of time. I have carried full size Glocks, compact Glocks, sub-compact Glocks, Colt Commander, and Kahr PM-9.

While I have liked each one, I still don't feel I have found the "perfect" gun, realizing that every weapon is a compromise at some level. I switch pistols depending on how I am dressed, the activity in which I am engaging (street carry vs. hunting), etc. Somehow, I don't think the perfect pistol exists - or does it?

What do you guys and gals think?

VIP Member
    No, the perfect concealment weapon does not exist, which is why I carry several, each perfect for its role.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I have 3 guns that I carry, depending upon the situation, location or dress.

VIP Member
    There are always going to be new and exciting offerings coming to market every year. Some are boring and obvious non-starters, some are more interesting but still obviously not going to work for you. Then there is the occasional one that looks like it may just be an improvement over what you currently have. That is when the real research must begin.

Read specifications and reviews. Watch for problem reports. If you know someone who has one, try to shoot it. If all looks good and you just HAVE to scratch that itch, buy it and live with it for a few months.

Is there a "perfect" gun? No.

Therefore we are destined to constantly search for the closest we can get for a particular situation.

It's your life and your wife. Do what you think is best. Did she say anything about RENTING guns?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    My question to the members is this, does the search for the perfect concealed carry weapon ever end? My wife, who also shoots, but does not currently carry, made me take a vow this year not to buy any more pistols for 2 years. My contention is, that you never really now how a pistol is going to work out for you on a day to day basis until you carry it for an extended period of time. I have carried full size Glocks, compact Glocks, sub-compact Glocks, Colt Commander, and Kahr PM-9.

While I have liked each one, I still don't feel I have found the "perfect" gun, realizing that every weapon is a compromise at some level. I switch pistols depending on how I am dressed, the activity in which I am engaging (street carry vs. hunting), etc. Somehow, I don't think the perfect pistol exists - or does it?

What do you guys and gals think?
    Guns aren't the only concealed carry weapons I have on board. Just sayin'.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

There is no perfect gun. I like certain size guns depending on my attire and the situation.
    Goldy49 and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    When you are proficient with one or two and carry either based upon dress, social setting, etc. You have already found it.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have three revolvers ;44 spl,357,22 and two 9mm auto's,I want one more as it just feel real natural in my hand.
    gatorbait51 and navajoRN like this.

VIP Member
    Here is the rub, which I have only recently acknowledged after years of denial. The gun which I can pull from my pocket and fire from retention in sub-half-second time is slow and ineffective when I need a sighted shot at distance, and vice versa.
    William T. Sherman

BBI
    You're better with what you train with and what you're most familiar with. If you flip-flop guns all of the time you've got different trigger pulls, different sights, sometimes different sight pictures, and you'll never be as good as you could have been if you'd stuck with one gun. If you must flip-flop based on what you want to wear, at least stay within the same family. That's one place Glock had it right, they all feel pretty much same-same.

How "improved" is any new gun, really? Gun reviews and marketing (but I repeat myself) aside, probably not at all.
    gatorbait51 and gen3 like this.

yes and this is The One!

http://ruger.com/products/lcr/images/5401.jpg

5401.jpg

I have collected several guns over the years to try what would be the perfect fit for me. Either the gun was too big too small lacked capacity or stopping power. I have settled on the one gun that has the best combination for my needs. As a HCP holder I am seldom in a situation I would need high capacity and do not want to ever be in a shoot out. I just want to protect myself and wife if confronted with a deadly threat and then try and escape.

An LCR with 38+p 5 shot plus speed strip in pocket is all I think I really need.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

Shooting for me is more than cc. Its a hobby, love going to the range and like reloading trying out new loads and competing against my sons. Fun to master new weapons, as far as cc have gone back to snubs and 1911's. That said when I have to drive into Miami I feel the need for more capacity so bring a CZ. Different tools for different jobs.

VIP Member
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Sometimes a handgun may prove entirely insufficient as well. Making a side arm into a primary arm can be quite a compromise depending on the situation.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Sometimes a handgun may prove entirely insufficient as well. Making a side arm into a primary arm can be quite a compromise depending on the situation.
    Yep. The perfect CCW gun for me would be Shield sized with 12 gauge shotgun power and Glock 17 capacity. Since such a gun cannot exist it's a compromise and therefore the perfect carry gun doesn't exist.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The perfect concealed carry handgun does not exist. There will be a compromise in one or more areas.

Too big, too small, caliber too small, caliber too large for the handgun, grip too long, too wide, trigger to stiff, too light, sights too dark, sights too small, sights too wide, not wide enough, the list is endless.

Shirt not long enough, can't wear untucked, grip sticks to cover garment, too fat for IWB, too skinny for OWB, can't take your jacket off, too hot, too cold, pant leg not big enough for ankle carry. Shorts fall down with a Government model, Lost your mouse gun in the winter coat, print, print, print.

Time for more coffee...
    I like all kinds of foreign guns.

"Arm yourself because no one else here will save you..."

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links