KKM Match barrel for G29

This is a discussion on KKM Match barrel for G29 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering purchasing a KKM Match barrel for my Glock 29. Not because I expect it to make the pistol more accurate (which it might ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DRM
  • 1 Post By GringoEd

Thread: KKM Match barrel for G29

KKM Match barrel for G29

I'm considering purchasing a KKM Match barrel for my Glock 29. Not because I expect it to make the pistol more accurate (which it might do, but in a barrel that short, it would be beyond me to prove it) but because of the problem many call Glock Bulge in the cases. I have to run every spent case through a sizing die after I've cleaned them before I can reload it. Otherwise, they tell me, the case could eventually bulge beyond a safe point and split. It might not be a big deal, but it just might be a REALLY big deal. It really slows down the reloading process to have to add that step. They have to be lubed, sized and then washed a second time to get the lube off before reloading. Has anyone put a KKM Match barrel on their G29.........and if so, was it a good or bad experience?
    Chris

If I'm laying in an emergency room, dying from a gunshot wound, I don't want to answer my wife's inquiry as to why I wasn't armed with "There was a 'NO HANDGUNS' sign on the door and my integrity got the best of me!"

Not a 29 but I put a Barsto barrel in my G41. Accuracy really did not change till over 40 to 50 feet than much tighter groups. I reload lots of lead so just wanted to be safe.

I have loaded ammo for my 29 for 10 years or better and never had THE bulge problem. I shoot max loads in it too.
    All brass needs to be resized after it's shot. There is a certain play in all barrel chambers, and the case will expand in a KKM barrel as well. It may be a little tighter, but the case will still expand.
    Resize your pistol brass with a carbide die and you don't need to use lube (no lube required). Otherwise the spray lube Hornady makes does not need to be cleaned off after sizing.
    It will not hurt primers or powder.

Just trying to give you my thoughts. It may be fun to get the KKM and see the accuracy and if it does improve. Anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Wyoming View Post
    I have loaded ammo for my 29 for 10 years or better and never had THE bulge problem. I shoot max loads in it too.
    All brass needs to be resized after it's shot. There is a certain play in all barrel chambers, and the case will expand in a KKM barrel as well. It may be a little tighter, but the case will still expand.
    Resize your pistol brass with a carbide die and you don't need to use lube (no lube required). Otherwise the spray lube Hornady makes does not need to be cleaned off after sizing.
    It will not hurt primers or powder.

Just trying to give you my thoughts. It may be fun to get the KKM and see the accuracy and if it does improve. Anyway.
    I realize all brass needs to be resized. But the OEM Glock barrel does not support the last .165" just above the rim. This is the area where the bulge occurs. I realize the brass is resized in a regular sizing die............but it doesn't get all the way down to the rim because of the radius in the neck of the die........hence the recommended need to push the brass through a resizing die. I didn't have the money to spring for a carbide resizing die when I purchased mine. The various aftermarket barrels, i.e. KKM, Wolf, Barstow, etc. support the case all the way to the rim. You are the first person I've discussed this with who says they've shot and reloaded Glock fired brass for such a long time and had no problem. I'm really glad to hear, #1 that you've never experienced an "experience" and #2 it's good to hear it might not be as big a problem as has been presented to me. The first time I heard about it, someone said "Google Glock Bulge". The list of negative reports is long. Anyway, I'm interested if anyone has actually purchase a KKM and what kind of luck they've had with it.
    Chris

If I'm laying in an emergency room, dying from a gunshot wound, I don't want to answer my wife's inquiry as to why I wasn't armed with "There was a 'NO HANDGUNS' sign on the door and my integrity got the best of me!"

Sponsor

Cool

KKM and BARSTO are GREAT barrels...

I especially like the KKM for use with a CAN.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Got KKM on Beretta M9, pair of Glock 19's, and Glock 26. Only the M9 has been tested on Ransom Rest, but the the Glocks function and shoot very well. Accuracy is really good with KKM. Function is also top notch.
    The Glock Bulge: this is a separate area and the metallurgy here is over my head. Do some searching for a Martindale Gauge and discussions about its use. This is important stuff due the amount of the brass case that is unsupported by a factory Glock Barrel. Just because we squeeze the case back to proper dimensions with a sizing die doesn't mean we fixed the over stressed portion of the case, which will be unsupported again at the next firing in a Glock factory barrel. Understand fully the processing of fired brass cases.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Been reloading for Glocks, with Glock fired brass, for 20 years. Either I'm real lucky, or it is a non issue. I treat that reloading no different than reloading any other brass for any other guns. I have never had a problem!

BTW, there's been a lot of lead bullets, usually home cast, reloaded and sent downrange in stock Glock barrels without issue too.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

I bought a G 29 last year and had problems with factory and reloads splitting the brass and bulging. I put an extended length wolf barrel in it and the problem went away with no reliability issues.

For what it's worth, I decided to "drop the dime" and ordered a KKM barrel for the G29 last night. Pretty pricey, but it will save me time at the sizing die and, hopefully, there will be an improvement in accuracy....................will have to wait on a jury decision on that one.
    Chris

Administrator

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links