Defensive Carry banner

What firearm to carry on a motorcycle?

16K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  produman 
#1 ·
Hello all this is my first post, and I tried searching but found nothing on this subject. I am a new CCW permit holder and am searching for a firearm to carry while on my motorcycle. The laws in Ohio are changing soon to allow a complete concealed carry while in/on a vehicle, right now the holster has to be visible. I was wondering what others carry while on their bikes and what kind of holster they use. I need something that wont dig into me, or become cumbersome while riding my crotch rocket. Or a way to holster it to prevent that. I almost always wear 2pc. full leathers, but sometimes I wear jeans when I ride. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

#2 ·
First of all, welcome fom a fellow Buckeye.

Keep in mind that until March 14, the weapon has to be in plain sight on a motorcycle, which pretty much means open carry (not that anyone is doing much riding in Ohio these days anyways.)

After concealed is allowed I know a lot of the guys that ride motorcycles on this forum use a shoulder holster. You should try to carry the same firearm that you always do, the one with which you have the most training and feel you are the most profecient. Other than that, it really all depends on your body type and such to determine what is best.

#3 ·
I ride too, but I dont think I would want anything like that on my upper body. Maybe its just me, but it kind of worries me.

I do carry in a pack, or in a cargo pocket.

#4 ·
On my motorcycle I carry one of three ways, IWB, Shoulder Holster, or Pocket Carry.

The fourth and final option is, in my Tank Bag. It's the slowest, but the most concealable if I take my jacket off.

Biker :tumbleweed:

#7 ·
Since receiving my Max-Con V that will be me mode of carry for my Glock 22 when this cold weather lets up.
Mike

#8 ·
Carry pretty much any of my standard weapons, and typically use the same ITP/t-shirt or shoulder holsters I normally use. If its colder and I have a jacket on, I have got'n into the habit of stuffing a lil j frame into the left breast inside pocket using a left hand clip-on holster. The reason has been discussed before but simple put I want to be able to get it our reasonably quickly while at a stop sign with one hand.

#10 ·
carry while riding

i like my j-frame in an ankle holster, great for the plain sight rule( just lift pant leg) if you do wreck it won't hurt as bad as landing on it and jamming it in to your side. i where the holster on top of my boot so no issue with comfort. just my $.02.. joe

#12 ·
I like the tank bag idea. I wonder if there is someway to attach a holster under the tank bag, but still have it removable for when I'm off my bike and make it easily accesible when I ride. Somekind of velcro or catch maybe? Also with it pretty much attached to the bike, would it be safe to ride with a round chambered? Would a revolver be better suited to this situation? I might need to practice with my riding gloves before I even think about having it on me while I ride. As of right now I do not a have a firearm to conceal carry. I'm trying to do as much research as possible before my purchase, and also plan on firing several hundred rounds before I start carrying. I don't think the course gives near enough practice before allowing you to carry.

#13 ·
I did the ankle holster while riding my Harley but a incident a while back changed that. Was stopped at a rural stop sign behind a couple of vehciles with no shoulder when a dog attacked us (my daughter was 9 at the time). I had both feet planted, engine running and out of gear with both hands free. In that situation I did not have time to reach over and pull the snubnose out of the ankle holster and ended up using my Emerson. Since then I will either carry ITP if its summer time and I'm covering with my t-shirt and vest and in the winter time I will either use a shoulder holster OR if carrying my main pistol ITP will tuck my snubby into a ITP holster into the pocket of my riding jacket (inside left breast). A tank bag requires that you either carry the tank back with you when you get off or that you holster up when you get their (I dont carry a purse and dont like putting my gun on where folks can see). As far as comfort goes, I have found that ITP is very comfortable. As an NREMT I'd only be real worried about having a piece of steel on the spine area (as in center of back carry), as that is just begging for you to get a back injury or worsen any back trama you'll receive.

#14 ·
maybe i will give that pocket holster a chance. by riding season the law should have changed here in ohio.
as far as an ankle holster i have a galco that i put over the ankle of my boots.
fed wif a sig- glad everything worked out with that dog. enjoy the ride.. joe

#16 ·
I carry my Kimber 1911. I do this 2 ways: for short rides my OWB holster. For longer rides I have a tank bag the size of a fanny bag that has magnets to hold it on the tank. The bag wasn't to expensive about 30 bucks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.