XD Redux

XD Redux

This is a discussion on XD Redux within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I rediscovered my Springfield XD last weekend. Took it along to the range and it saved my shooting day. It motivated me to make this ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By dgunnut
  • 2 Post By dgunnut
  • 1 Post By GMC
  • 2 Post By PhaedrusIV

Thread: XD Redux

XD Redux

I rediscovered my Springfield XD last weekend. Took it along to the range and it saved my shooting day. It motivated me to make this video.

Dgunnut
    CIBMike and AmmoFan01 like this.

I have seen a couple other of your video clips, And am curious about why the roof at your range is built with the 2x6s turned across the front? Are they some sort of baffle? And if so are they effective? PS I do like the XD 9. My son bought a XD40 compact that I did not care much for. So I did not look at the XD at all till he bought an XD9 for his wife. The difference is huge in how they shoot! DR

Distinguished Member
    My XD Tactical .45 is incredible. And my wife loves her XD .40 subcompact.

My first semi is the XD 9 as well. I switched it out as my edc for a sig 229. Every so often I will mm put a couple mags through it and all the reasons I liked the XD return. It is an outstanding platform.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I have seen a couple other of your video clips, And am curious about why the roof at your range is built with the 2x6s turned across the front? Are they some sort of baffle? And if so are they effective? PS I do like the XD 9. My son bought a XD40 compact that I did not care much for. So I did not look at the XD at all till he bought an XD9 for his wife. The difference is huge in how they shoot! DR
    Its just the roof structure, not baffles. Nice covered outdoor public range. Free to shoot there and about 35 minutes from home.
    dangerranger and Eric357 like this.

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    I have the same pistol in .45 acp simple, durable reliable and points naturally for many shooters.
    The easy way is always mined.

I own the XD9 and never had any issues with it. I guess this would be a good time to ask, I have read that excessive dry fire can damage the XD's. The posts I read were older and Springfield may have resolved this issue. Does anyone know anything about this?

GMC
    Good to hear. Don't seem to hear much about the XD's now that they're not such a new model. I'm thinking about getting the subcompact.
    Eric357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmoFan01 View Post
    I own the XD9 and never had any issues with it. I guess this would be a good time to ask, I have read that excessive dry fire can damage the XD's. The posts I read were older and Springfield may have resolved this issue. Does anyone know anything about this?
    Sure, AF01 - I'll chime in here.

The striker has a slot machined into the "fat" part of it. The striker's travel, forward and back, is limited by a hollow "spring pin" (some call it a "roll pin") that goes through the striker, vertically. When a round (or a snap cap) is in the chamber, the forward limit of the striker's travel is when the striker pin contacts the round and makes a depression on the face of the primer cap.

When there is no round chambered, and the striker is released, it will be propelled forward until the back end of the striker channel slams into that roll pin.

Every time this happens, that pin is fatigued a little bit. Eventually, that pin will crack and sometime later it will break.

Springfield uses a fairly thin, hollow, spring steel pin, and the factory part WILL eventually crack and break, if the pistol is dry fired enough without using a snap cap.

(That pin is easily seen by looking at the top of the slide, about halfway between the breech face and the front sight. I'm sure I saw it in dgunnut's video.)

There is a very easy fix: install a better pin in that location. Both Springer Precision and Powder River Precision sell them. And others as well.

PM me if you'd like to know more.
    AmmoFan01 and CIBMike like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    Sure, AF01 - I'll chime in here.

The striker has a slot machined into the "fat" part of it. The striker's travel, forward and back, is limited by a hollow "spring pin" (some call it a "roll pin") that goes through the striker, vertically. When a round (or a snap cap) is in the chamber, the forward limit of the striker's travel is when the striker pin contacts the round and makes a depression on the face of the primer cap.

When there is no round chambered, and the striker is released, it will be propelled forward until the back end of the striker channel slams into that roll pin.

Every time this happens, that pin is fatigued a little bit. Eventually, that pin will crack and sometime later it will break.

Springfield uses a fairly thin, hollow, spring steel pin, and the factory part WILL eventually crack and break, if the pistol is dry fired enough without using a snap cap.

(That pin is easily seen by looking at the top of the slide, about halfway between the breech face and the front sight. I'm sure I saw it in dgunnut's video.)

There is a very easy fix: install a better pin in that location. Both Springer Precision and Powder River Precision sell them. And others as well.

PM me if you'd like to know more.
    I appreciate the response, this cleared up a lot.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links