Buying used, XDM disappointments

This is a discussion on Buying used, XDM disappointments within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So this past week I actually got some time off during gun shop open hours. I stopped off to a shop that has a large ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Taurahe
  • 1 Post By JT353
  • 1 Post By Ianthin

Thread: Buying used, XDM disappointments

So this past week I actually got some time off during gun shop open hours. I stopped off to a shop that has a large variety of used guns. I have been in the used market (cost) for a full size 9mm. I used to just go in and buy. After taking Dave Ramsey's FPU I decided I need to be sure what I am getting and be a good consumer. I pawed a M&P 9mm with race trigger...ok but not loving it. I have an XDS 9mm so I have this notion I should stick with similar models. I used to have an XDM .40 and I really liked and shot that gun well. they had 2 9mm models. I quickly field stripped and inspected them, one had several extra mags, and both were listed at $499. What has made me be more mindful? Man, I looked down at the barrel, but the grooves on the outside of the barrel from the slide wear was BAD. Both of them clearly had A LOT of rounds through them.

I cheerfully, but sadly put each back together and said I had to think about it. Jeez. What a disappointment on one hand, then also YIPPEE! too. I didn't get taken to the cleaners. I tend to be impulsive when I buy and then regret it later. Man I guess I can grow up some day. Back to the hunt. I hate paying retail prices for new guns, but I also hate getting screwed when I buy used. I still feel used is a better bargain when I can find private sale stuff I can know the histories.

Truthfully, I am just looking for the next good deal.

VIP Member
    Kudo's to you for being an infomed buyer!

Good deals can be had, you just need to be patient. I just bought my first used gun, a Ruger SP101 this week. I got a 2013 model off Gun Broker in a no reserve auction. I was very pleasantly surprised at how nice the gun is - the pictures didn't do it justice. And, I got it at a great price.

I looked at probably 200 auctions over a couple of weeks and bid on 14 of them before winning mine. My low bid somehow held - I think it was the poor description and pictures that made some people wary.

Keep looking and you will find what you are looking for.

Oh, my EDC is an XDm .45 C and it is a great gun. Good luck!!
    Member Georgia Carry

I've bought used at shops on a couple occasions. Whenever I see such obvious signs of wear, I re-verify the claims of age, usage. In at least one case I asked for a written assurance of the age/usage that was being claimed along with a stouter return guarantee if it caused trouble with XX number of days. Helps separate the wheat from the chaff, sometimes.

Good reminder about what's out there, though, OP. I also tend to prefer one-owner sales where there's a clear log history of usage and the owner knows his/her stuff. Occasionally, these can be found through a really good, smaller shop. Rare, but they're out there. Developing good relationships with a couple smaller and knowledgeable shops in the area can help. Often, this is where the folks-in-the-know go to unload their prized possessions.

Recently, I've seen a few of the XDm and XDs pistols. Am getting tempted, myself.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have bought used guns that ended up having issues, hut I bought quality manufacturers, and both times they stood by their products at no cost to me.
    Being an informed buyer is a great thing to be though. A little knowledge goes a long way

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Ianthin likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I usually buy new...but there have been a couple times where I came out smelling like a rose when dealing with used guns.

Most notably, I was browsing around the LGS one afternoon waiting on my name to be called at the range...when I saw a used Sig P239 .40 sitting in the case. Nothing unusual but what really grabbed me was they had it marked for around $425. Huh?

"Uh...let me see that Sig!"

As it turned out it, it's a 2003 model and I could tell by the barrel markings that it had been shot a pretty good amount, but the finish was pristine with no visible signs of holster wear and the slide action was still really tight with no slop. I didn't ask why they were selling it so cheap.

Long story short...

I pulled out the 40 barrel and dropped in a 357 Sig replacement, ordered an SRT kit from Top Gun which I installed myself and then picked up a Crossbreed ST to carry the little jewel around in. It's one of my favorite EDC pistols and being a Sig...it's a joy to shoot.

So yes...sometimes it's a stroke of luck being in the right place at the right time and as long as the seller is open and upfront with you...allowing you to strip and inspect whatever it is you're looking to buy, you can come out with some really sweet deals.
    Ianthin likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uralite View Post
    both were listed at $499.
    What was the price for new? In my neck of the woods they go for about $550.

I hate paying retail prices for new guns...
    You should really re-consider changing your mindset because no matter what the price is you will hate paying it. You will probably miss out on some pristine pieces. You may have to wait a long time to get the bargain you're looking for (although there is always a bargain around the corner) and any vicarious pleasure you derive from getting-a-steal-and-not-a-deal may be offset by the time you've waited - you can have it now for a reasonable price (instant gratification) or wait until you get the price you want (pleasure delayed). Now that all the Christmas time bargains are over you may have to wait another year...

Springfield Armory 9mm products
    phoenix xdm - guns for sale: firearms, handguns, rifles - backpage.com Mod 2, $439.

You didn't say exactly what model you were looking at...

First thing to know is whether or not that used piece has a transferable warranty. Backpage com has many guys selling their used pieces for what they paid. That always struck me as odd since most of the time when sold there is no warranty. I guess they expect the buyer to haggle to get a lower price. If the price seems reasonable I will buy, and if I ask a reasonable price I won't budge any lower. That's my mindset; ymmv. We all have set prices in our heads for whatever we want to buy. But if price is paramount then we may end up buying something cheaper instead of what we always wanted - like a Taurus instead of a Shield.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JT353 View Post
    I usually buy new...but there have been a couple times where I came out smelling like a rose when dealing with used guns.

Most notably, I was browsing around the LGS one afternoon waiting on my name to be called at the range...when I saw a used Sig P239 .40 sitting in the case. Nothing unusual but what really grabbed me was they had it marked for around $425. Huh?

"Uh...let me see that Sig!"

As it turned out it, it's a 2003 model and I could tell by the barrel markings that it had been shot a pretty good amount, but the finish was pristine with no visible signs of holster wear and the slide action was still really tight with no slop. I didn't ask why they were selling it so cheap.

Long story short...

I pulled out the 40 barrel and dropped in a 357 Sig replacement, ordered an SRT kit from Top Gun which I installed myself and then picked up a Crossbreed ST to carry the little jewel around in. It's one of my favorite EDC pistols and being a Sig...it's a joy to shoot.

So yes...sometimes it's a stroke of luck being in the right place at the right time and as long as the seller is open and upfront with you...allowing you to strip and inspect whatever it is you're looking to buy, you can come out with some really sweet deals.
    Just a couple weeks ago I walked into a shop for the first time just to look around. What do you know, there was a P239 in 40 tagged at $449! I almost bought it, it was sweet like yours, but I wasn't looking for another 40. I did leave with the P225 right next to it for just under $400.

Used guns can be had that are both quality and a good value. You just have to know what your looking for.
    CIBMike likes this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links