Glock 23....owners opinions.

This is a discussion on Glock 23....owners opinions. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK guys. I have said on several occasions on this board that I ws not a fan of Glock due to the grip angle and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 23....owners opinions.

Glock 23....owners opinions.

OK guys. I have said on several occasions on this board that I ws not a fan of Glock due to the grip angle and more to the point the trigger reach not working for me.

Well, I took the day off today and decided I would visit every single gun shop in my area just for the fun of it. And so I did. I had a great day and I held more guns today than I have in a long time.

Now, I am thinking I was a Glock. I want so badly to like Glocks but as I said I have always felt the grip and trigger reach didn't work for me. Well, it seems the geometry of my hand has changed somewhat with the weight I have lost (my hand is not as fat now) and the trigger reach isn't bad at all. In fact, the Glock pointed pretty naturally for me.

So, I am thinking of getting a Glock 23. I would like to hear from anyone who owns one. Tell me what you think and if you recommend it. I suspect, what with the loyalty that Glock owners usually show that I will be swamped with good comments. That's fine. i want to hear them.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

I have the 23 and 30. I have 12 guns on my permit, and carry the 23 95% of the time. I do have a .357 barrel in it right now, but either barrel is great, and NO malfunctions, even when dirty. Very accurate, easy to clean, sorry, I love it!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I HAD a Glock 23 once upon a time...2nd generation...sold it to a buddy...have kicked myself ever since! Now, I'm fixin' to buy another one, and I'm gonna have my name engraved in it so it won't wonder off like my other one did!

The 23 is the best Glock that Gaston conjured up!

VIP Member
    I own TWO G23s. I bought one as my first Glock. I was a skeptic about 'plastic guns'. A friend bought a G20 & let me shoot it. I liked the way it was made & the Tinefer coating.

I love them, now own 2 G23s, a G27 & G26.

I had to buy the second one, when my wife wanted mine. She now carries that more often than her Sig 239.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I have it's even more "evil twin", the g32....

If you decide on the 23, get yourself a .357 conversion bbl for a real kick in the pants....;o)
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Lead Moderator
    I'm not a Glock fan, (grip angle doesn't work well for me) , but they are reliable , accurate guns. I have several friends who use em.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    The 23 is, in my opinion everything you could ever want in a defensive weapon and nothing you don't want. Sadly, I am about to part ways with my second generation 23 in an effort to help someone out that I respect and to have the same frame on each of my defensive guns. If Glock hadn't decided to put the grooves on the frame, I would have never let this gun go. But, it seems to me that I would be better off to have one platform for defensive shooting, I'll have to upgrade.

I assure you, I won't be without a 23 for more than a day or so, and that is about the biggest compliment I can give to a gun.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    I have the 23 and 30. I have 12 guns on my permit, and carry the 23 95% of the time. I do have a .357 barrel in it right now, but either barrel is great, and NO malfunctions, even when dirty. Very accurate, easy to clean, sorry, I love it!
    I also put the G32 barrel in my G23, now I just got to get a holster so I'll carry it some. I'm trying to wean myself, a little at a time away from my 1911s and carry the others a little more often. It shoots great, it's light compared to a all steel frame 1911.

I used to own a Glock 23. It's probably the best power to size/weight compromise in existence. They are accurate and absolutely reliable. Anyone who packs a 23 is well armed, indeed.

Even having said that, though....I just didn't like it. I've owned the 23, 27, 26 and 30, and the 30 was the only one that even came close to fitting my hand right. If it fits your hand and doesn't feel too blocky to you, then you have found the perfect pistol. If it doesn't fit your hand, you will never like it, no matter how much you try. Believe me...I tried. Arrrgh, that grip angle!

I also don't care for the "trigger safety"....pinches my finger after about 50 rounds or so. And although the weight of the pistol is great for most people, for me, it might be a tad TOO light for the snappy .40 round. I like a bit of heft to my carry piece. I think the 23 is about 21 ounces or so. It's tolerable, but it's no fun.

I'm on a metro PD, and we are issued the Glock 22, the 23's big brother. I'd MUCH rather carry any number of other pistols on duty, including a Springfield XD or a Smith & Wesson M&P. Either of these guns fit my hand great, with the Smith being the best of the two.

I won't even carry the 22 off-duty. I'll be toting my Smith 4043 in the winter (nice and slim, 29 ounces, 12 rounds) or my Smith M&P 9mm compact in the summer. Oh yeah, I LOVE that M&P compact!! A baby Glock doesn't even deserve to be in the same room with that baby!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    If you are thinking about a Glock, I'd recommend looking at the XDs too. Then again, I like my grip safeties.

I have wanted to own a Glock for a long time, but I just couldn't like the feel of it more than the XD when it came to buying a plastigun. I also like the chamber loaded and cocked indicators on the XDs. You get no frills and no warm fuzzies with the Glock - also, the trigger feels like a light switch to me.
    Last edited by lowflyer; February 10th, 2007 at 12:20 AM.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Administrator
    The G23/19 is in a class all it own. I dont think you are going to find a better no frills combat gun anywhere. It is the standard now, all the others have followed in its foot steps. The platform has been proven over and over again.
    The XD and M&P might prove themselves to be good guns one day, but they all over looked the key element- simplicity.
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 10th, 2007 at 11:23 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

ckd
    My primary carry is a G23 because it fits my hand perfectly, it remains faultless after nearly 10,000 rounds. Besides, my G27 needed a sibling. It is not pretty its a workhorse.

If you decide on one get the night sights. As you know magazines and other accessories are plentiful and reasonably priced.

G23s are fine guns. Like most Glocks, they are reliable, accurate and shoot when you need it to.

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    If you are thinking about a Glock, I'd recommend looking at the XDs too. Then again, I like my grip safeties.

We own an XD .40sc, it is my wife's carry gun. Started out life as my carry gun and she shot and liked it so much she decided it was hers. I love the XD but I like the idea that the Glock is not going to rust no matter what. And the Glock seems a little lighter to me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    The Glock 19/23s just have a natural feel for alot of people who dislike the other Glock frames. Thats the only Glock that does fit my hand and I would feel very comfortable useing one as a duty weapon, and infact have.

One major federal agency issues Glock 23s in 40cal now and for the first time in their history, the request for carry of the "additional" weapons off their approved list has dropped significiantly. That means the end users are happier wtih the Glocks than any other weapon they've been issued in the past.

I would celebrate (as would a number of others) if my own folks would switch over to the Glock 23 as a carry weapon and its rumored we might.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links