Compact and sub-compact 1911's flawed inherently? - Page 2

Compact and sub-compact 1911's flawed inherently?

This is a discussion on Compact and sub-compact 1911's flawed inherently? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Administrator

Velocity Difference

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I ordered a Nighthawk Custom Talon Iv for my wife. I have talked with Keith and he assures me it will be reliable to the Nth degree.

Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Administrator

Just Thought Of Another One

The ASTRA A 80
    That .45 pistol had what??? A 3" barrel. Anybody remember the exact barrel length? Anyway....The Astra A 80 was an extremely reliable chopped firearm ~ but, it never was a super accurate handgun. I shot a few of those & they barely ever missed a beat.

Also my older, original DETONICS would feed anything.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

QK, you are one of the lucky ones....Destrucknics were not famous for working. Had they been, they might have stayed in business.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

The Seecamp DA conversion was not a joint Detonics/Seecamp venture - it was done aftermarket on my gun - at my request.

As for Detonics not being reliable - it's a matter of when the gun was made. There were problems with some of the earlier guns, but the lion's share of their production resulted in some extremely reliable pieces.

The generally accepted reason for the demise of the old Detonics had more to do with the low rate of production - and the resulting high cost of the product - than any inherent flaws in the design. Other than the fact that the recoil springs should be replaced every 750-1000 rounds - owners of the vast majority of the Combat Masters report very few functional problems.

I consider the high cost of the new Detonics models to be even more prohibitive these days and it will be very interesting to see if Ahern can keep the company going. I hope he can.
    If you want to make God laugh - tell Him your plans. Yiddish proverb

Here's a thought for all you 1911 fans. Springfield just announced a new 1911 micro chambered in the new .45GAP caliber. Before you start railing about how worthless .45GAP is, or how it's "an answer to a question that was never asked" or any other cliche pieces of drivel, consider this. According to the April/May edition of Guns & Ammo, SA's new ".45GAP Defender" model has almost as much breech travel behind the magazine well as a standard (5") size 1911, which the author of the article theorizes will increase reliablity. I suspect that the author is right. I'm already working out plans to sell several of my current guns so I can purchase the new Glock 38 and 39 in this new caliber, and I'm highly, highly tempted to snap up this new toy from Springfield when it comes out, and maybe the new CZ Rami in the caliber as well, just to have a well-rounded collection.

Red face

I can only speak about the Kimber models from experience. Before getting my Eclipse in 4" model, I met a cop at the range who had a Kimber Carry model in 3". He let me fire it, and with the first shot, I decided that this was not going to be a good "range" gun, where I'd wanna fire a few hundred rds at a visit. I really felt the first shot in my wrist. I could image at the end of the day having sore wrist from that. It was probably due to a combination of lightweight material and barrel length which added to recoil. I went to gun shows for a few months handling everything I could find in 4" and below, and settled on the Eclipse. It is an all-stainless model. Heavier weight does not concern me for a carry weapon, and it is one that I can take to the range all day long without sustaining soreness in the wrist. A subcompact or micro is probably a good gun for carry or backup gun, but I prefer to tote a gun that I can practice at the range with....for me it's gotta be at least 4" and all-stainless.

In August I bought a 3 inch Springfield "G.I" model. I was having numerous failures to feed using Ball ammo. So, after 350 rounds I sent it back to the factory. They tested the extractor, throated the barrel, recut & polished the feed ramp. Now, 250 rounds later I can't get the damn thing to jam with the exception of when one particular Kimber magazine is used.

I was seriously considering trading it for a Glock. But now it's running so well I won't get rid of it.
    Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders. by Jerry VanCook

Hank, howz about some pics???

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

I'll see what I can do!
    Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders. by Jerry VanCook

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Gentlemen, I own one of those nasty little 3" Kimbers that you guys seem to think is so balistically challenged,fuctionally challenged,and accuracy challenged. I also own, and up until reciently,carried a full size Colt 1911(highly tricked out). I found that I couldn't live with the weight and overall size of the weapon anymore. I absolutely LOVE the Colt but found myself making excuses not to put it on in the AM. I find myself wanting to apoligize to all you gentlemen from the first post at the top of page #1 for my lapse in judgement for purchasing the little Kimber Ultra CDP II. It will(i can),if properly rested cut one 2" ragged hole at 7 yds with 14 rds.But according to the ballistics chart that was posted,the little bbl. wont allow the little bullets to get going fast enough to do the BG any damage. I find that with practice( I have only put 550 rds through the little gun)I can put 2 or 3 rds(full power loads) on target very easily at 7 yds. Before you say anything I want you to know that I purchased this weapon for CCW only. NOT TARGET SHOOTING ! I can put the rds. on a white 6" pie plate from the modified Weaver position in well under 2 secs. I can double tap,3 targets,5' apart in under 2 secs. This,gentlemen,is without the proper amount of practice that I will eventually end up with. After I purchased the teeny weeny little gun,I continued to "carry" the full size 1911 until I got to the(my own)acceptable level of training so as to feel confident carring the Kimber. I realize that training NEVER stops. And I plan to never stop trying to become "mo betta" with my little gun. BTW--- I hope to do this before it falls apart and becomes unserviceable. I have bugeted to buy another 3" Kimber just as soon as this one falls apart. Let me just say that I realize that I do not know as much about weapons and tactics as some(probably most) of you do but I'm only 57 years old and still learning. I always keep my ears at the ready to absorb info from those that are more knowledgeable than myself.I will continue to do this on this site. I will listen(read) and try to best make the decissions that will help me to better protect myself and my family. I post this with respect and humility.------

I can only restate what the Father of American Pistolcraft, JEFF COOPER has had to say on these subjects: The full size 1911 works best if it is not monkeyed with (aside from sights) in the way of being "customized" and it seems as if the sub COMMANDER sized 1911 designs are having "problems" to the extent that based on reports he is getting HE will never own one. Given the fact that this gentleman is approaching the end of his 8th decade of life and as I've mentioned is possibly the most revered gun guy of the century...I'll take a long look at his opinions!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Yes Sir, Good Point--- BUT--- Just a thought---I would think(and hope) that the under 4" bbl. gun manufacturers are taking a close look at what Mr.Cooper(and hopefully others) have to say reguarding the reliability and killability of the pee wee guns. Sit down and write down on a piece of paper all the companys that offer a 1911 style weapon with a bbl under 4". Are all these manufactures the Sat.night special type or do you feel that some of them "do their homework"? What type of reputation do these companys have? How many weapons do they sell? Better still------ How many under 4" bbl guns have had problems that were the DIRECT cause of their owner/shooter? I am a CCW kinda guy that doesn't shoot thousands of rds. per year. I want to be a above average CCW person in marksmanship,tactics,what would you do if,kinda sanerios. I want to have a weapon that I am proud to carry while exercising my 2nd Amendment privilages. I want to feel safe. I'm too old to want to feel like Superman. I have known some people that thought that they were invinceable and it cost them their life. I will keep training and I will stay aware of what is happening around me. If anybody comes accross a weapon that has a guarantee that it will feed perfectly EVERY TIME,with ANY type of ammo,and is completely idiot proof, please post it so that I will be able to say that I own the perfect weapon for CCW. Until then I guess that I'm stuck with my Kimber. OBTW--- I will,as in the past,continue to read the writings of Jeff Cooper. I will use his vast knowledge and expierience to help me make what i percieve to be the right decisions. Do any of you out there know of a single individual that you can truthfully say that you absolutely believe EVERYTHING that they have ever said. Not me. This is just one respectful opinion.

Who Do I Trust 100%??

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Yes Sir, Good Point--- BUT--- Just a thought---I would think(and hope) that the under 4" bbl. gun manufacturers are taking a close look at what Mr.Cooper(and hopefully others) have to say reguarding the reliability and killability of the pee wee guns. Do any of you out there know of a single individual that you can truthfully say that you absolutely believe EVERYTHING that they have ever said. Not me. This is just one respectful opinion.
    Okay, I'm not going to throw a curve and say the person I trust 100% is Jesus.....that wouldn't be fair. So I'll agree with you on that score. I can ONLY trust my own life and the lives of my family on my personal experience. My CCW weapon MUST be 100% reliable and I have to be able to utterly trust it all the time. MY experience with sub four inch 1911's tells me the risk ain't worth the increase in concealability. But that's just me.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Hey RSSZ could ya toss a paragraph break in there some where kind of hard to read...

But good post never the less as with everything there are good guns and turds i think i have been luckly so far i own a few guns that people constantly complaine have problems ...

Could it be my handloads are better i doubt it just my luck of the Draw that i got a better gun thatn you ?

Im not a fan of MIM but lets not start that argument either. I always take bad reviews like i do good ones grain of salt i have a guy at work Mr know it all bought 4 autos down to range wouldnt run jam o matics never as good as my wheelies....

Little oil little grease all 3 ran like a top for me shooting them.. This from a repair tech who should know better.. What im trying to say is i thinka lot of problems are shooter induced How many with FTF' FTE's etc etc are using crap wolf ammo?

Then wont admit to the ammo being the problem and then troll the boards trying to stir up a Arguement.

Ive always heard a base 1911 wont run etc etc my colts have ... even a llama that was given to Mrs runs good with right ammo My Springfield flawless... I wonder how this RIA will run in 38 super and my new smith time will tell.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links