Compact and sub-compact 1911's flawed inherently? - Page 3

Compact and sub-compact 1911's flawed inherently?

This is a discussion on Compact and sub-compact 1911's flawed inherently? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The first thing to look at with any sub compact .45 that will not function properly is the extractor. The extractor needs to be PERFECTLY ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Administrator

IMPORTANT ~ Things To Check Out

The first thing to look at with any sub compact .45 that will not function properly is the extractor. The extractor needs to be PERFECTLY FIT tuned/polished & a flawless extractor is mandatory for perfect functioning.

The breech face needs to be smooth.

The slide needs to travel as Smooth As Silk on the frame.

The frame feed ramp should be properly polished.

The recoil spring needs to be fresh & full power.

Razor sharp edges should be lightly smoothed on the underside of the magazine feed lips.

In short...anything that could possibly "eat up" cartridge feed energy or impede slide travel should be looked at.

Barrel fit is also very important. The top of the chamber mouth should be carefully polished.

Your grip on the firearm needs to be very firm.
    Sub~compact .45s HATE a limp~wristed~hold!!!

They also do not like Soft Rubber Grips.

Extended higher cap magazines will sometimes cause feed problems with the first couple/few rounds due to extreme upward magazine spring pressure.

It IS VERY possible to have a dimunitive .45 function perfectly.
    They usually need to be tuned by a qualified smith to get them 100% ~ but they sure can be made to function perfectly.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Good points QKShooter!
    It is a well established belief (and not without merit) that in general, the sub compacts are less forgiving of the "little things" than the 4"-6" 1911's, and are more susceptible to various problems...including the shooter! It would be interesting to see the hard numbers on "problems vs guns sold" to really put things into perspective...after all, you don't hear as much about the good anything as you do about the bad.

Having said that, I guess I am one of the "lucky ones".

I too carry a 3" Kimber, an Ultra CDP Elite STS II, one of only 600 made and to my knowlege the first compact series by Kimber to have the integrated ramped barrel. I have never looked back in sorrow for purchasing this gun. I have intensely trained with this gun over the past 3 years, and thrown a lot of lead down range without a single FTF, FTE, etc problem, even during the break in period.

Given the proper care & maintenance (including recoil springs) that I do to ensure proper functioning, while experiencing this guns performance over considerable time, makes me just as trusting of this guns reliability when I strap it on everyday as most others are of their full size 1911.....but hey...that's just me!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Gentlemen, I own one of those nasty little 3" Kimbers
    If it works for you, carry it and don't apologize to anyone. There are people that love/hate Ford, GM or Chrysler products. Any one of them can give you a hundred reasons why the other is a POS. I, personally, would love to have one of the 3" 1911s, but will probably never buy one because of all of the problems I have heard they have. If you have experienced no problems with yours and are comfortable and confident of it, that's all that matters. And, I would rather carry a 3" 1911 that has proven itself reliable than just about any 9mm. Enjoy your little Kimber!
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White

How many with FTF' FTE's etc etc are using crap wolf ammo?
    Crappy Wolf ammo! Hell, mine's been 100% reliable with that crappy Wolf ammo. All my problems were with PMC Ball.
    Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders. by Jerry VanCook

Quote Originally Posted by hankrearden2005
    Crappy Wolf ammo! Hell, mine's been 100% reliable with that crappy Wolf ammo. All my problems were with PMC Ball.

Not been my exp with would used it twice said never again... course ive said same thing with pmx its not the best either... For factory i use either S&B or winchester ..... 99% of the time its relaods though

All of this is good information. I seems like it boils down to the lemon law. If any of these companies made crap all the time they would not be in business. Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you don't. I say try them all and keep the good ones.

Tm

Quote Originally Posted by tminer
    I say try them all and keep the good ones.Tm
    Maybe this line will work with the wife for my next gun purchase "I'm doin' research baby...just lookin' for the good ones!"

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Speaking of Wolf ammo, I bought 500rds at a deal and I ran it thru my 1911 Commander without any problem. Last Saturday I ran it thru my Sig P245 and although I only had ONE FTE I'm pretty sure it was the ammo that time. My gunsmith was there (HE won the match, hands down) and he pointed out to me that all my casings fell just a foot from where I had stood on each string so basically they all just dribbled out of the gun without having enough power to force back the slide for a good extraction cycle. That settled it for me. On my gunsmiths advice, I'm switching to what he uses on the International circuit which is ARMSCOR 230gr Ball. I can get 500rds for about $97. NO MORE WOLF!!!!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator

Wolf

I don't use it.
    It used to be really bad when it was lacquer coated.
    I don't think they do that anymore.

DC Founder
    <Yawn>
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    ExSoldier762 >>> You quoted Mr.Cooper as saying that" The full size 1911 works best if it's not monkeyed with except the sights." So thats why the IPPSC,IDPA,and target shooters of the 1911 style guns shoot them plane jane guns,huh? Also Mr. Cooper states that he will never own a sub compact 1911. I respect that.Do I think that Mr.Cooper owns a subcompact 1911? Sure I do,doesn't everybody. He probably owns every 1911 style pistol ever made. Yeah,I know,he got most of them free,but he still owns them. >> QKShooter, I completely agree with your post of Mar.14th. You brought up some very good points. I do most of these things to all my autos. I find that it is superimportant to throat the bbls also. When I'm finished with them they look like glass. The ramp on my Kimber is like that now. So is the chamber itself. My (respectful) opinion is that 65-80% of the problems that 1911's have(with ANY length bbl) is the direct fault of cleanleness,ammo,and/or the SHOOTER. ? for the experts >> can steel cased ammo hurt your extractor and/or ejector? Thanks for all your input ref. the subcompacts. It made me think. My wife sez that I need to do this more often.

Administrator

Thumbs up Rssz

Good Post RSSZ!
    I believe that sub compact .45s do need more careful attention to fit, polish, and finish but that there is no reason why they cannot be as 100% reliable as a "full size" & full weight pistol.
    Also:
    Now with future compact .45 pistols chambered for the .45 GAP ~ I'm guessing that gun makers will be able to go even smaller yet.

You also said:
    "My wife sez that I need to do this more often."
    Your wife is right...listen to your wife! Post more often!

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Has anybody out there had the expierance of multiple fail to chamber due to the presure put on the magazine. I have found this to be the problem with mags that have allot of wobble after seating. The little extra mag extensions(+2's and the like) have given a friend of mine these problems with his weapon (not a Colt or Kimber). Also ordered extra parts for my Kimber this PM.They were great to talk to. They reccommend--- inner recoil spring,outer,recoil spring,firing pin spring,and a main spring. I will trade these back and forth after xxx amount of rds. As I have said before I will not be shooting thousands of rds through the weapon. I also ordered a spare extractor. My particular weapon uses the inside extractor. ---- QKShooter, I firmly believe that if the 1911 style shooters would follow your advise on the few simple things that they can do to "tune" their 1911's there would be allot,and I truly mean ALLOT,less FTC's,FTF's and FTE's. GREAT ADVICE -----

***********So thats why the IPPSC,IDPA,and target shooters of the 1911 style guns shoot them plane jane guns,huh?*************

IDPA stipulates plane jane guns. That's WHY IDPA was created. When I was shooting IPSC (before IDPA) I can't tell you how many times I saw them gee whiz race guns go belly up in the middle of a string. I know IPSC guys who can carve the center out of a dime as long as they have dot sights, but can't use iron sights to save their life! Literally.

Nobody in MY IDPA club shoots subcompact 1911's at matches unless they're shooting in the BUG category. I disregarded the advice of these guys twice and was whupped both times in my decision. You wanna carry a teeeeny 1911? Fine. You wanna monkey with a device that served our country for over 70 years without being turned into a spacegun? Okay. I'll take a plain jane 1911 over a $5000 racegun everytime, especially when my neck is on the line.

Rob Leatham can afford to spend megabucks on a spiffy racegun, but would he carry it on the street, even if he could conceal it? I think not. IPSC is a game. It's "played" like a game by gamers who worry more about rules and winning than developing real world tactics to save life and limb. I'm a life member of the USPSA and I quit just as IDPA was coming together to address the growing problems of raceguns and realism.

IDPA is also a game with rules, one of which is "FAILURE TO DO RIGHT," a direct response to IPSC "gamers." I have not found a practical way to practice for real world scenarios with a measure of safety that matches IDPA.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator
    I also do not believe in "Space Gun" firearms for defensive street carry.
    That being said...there are certain minor things that can be done to any "box stock" 1911 pattern pistol to increase functional street reliability (in general) & maximize its reliability with hollow point defensive ammo.
    They would be as follows:
    Better fixed sights.
    Carefully tune the extractor.
    Install a tighter fitting Tool Steel Firing Pin Stop.
    Polish the frame feed ramp & the slide disconnector run.
    Throat the barrel & polish the top portion of the barrel chamber.
    Use a Wolff or equivalent highest quality recoil spring.
    Open up & relieve the ejection port.
    Lightly fine lap/polish the slide rails to the frame rails.
    Buy the best quality after-market magazines that you can afford.
    Install a heavy duty plunger tube that is properly staked in as well as LocTited.
    Those are some "common sense" mild modifications that can get a stock 1911 into perfect form.
    I could probably think of a few other small things but nothing major.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links