I need ideas on a new 1911 - Page 3

I need ideas on a new 1911

This is a discussion on I need ideas on a new 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by APachon Bumper, have you had the pleasure of some trigger time behind one of NH's Nighthawks or Big Bores???~A I'm still thinking ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need ideas on a new 1911

Question Will I NEVER Learn?

Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    Bumper, have you had the pleasure of some trigger time behind one of NH's Nighthawks or Big Bores???~A
    I'm still thinking of sending Ed Laughridge a Commander and having him turn it into THIS: http://www.cylinder-slide.com/ultimate45.shtml
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Bumper if you already have a Commander to spare, the C&S Adventurer is $1307 to convert. http://www.cylinder-slide.com/ultimate45.shtml
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Bumper? I just came back from Kittery, and was looking at all the Les Bear's I mentioned. I look almost brand new to me I do understand your concern for having a pistiol you can bet your life on. Just tried to help you out
    I've bought a few new ones as well, and found a few to be stove pipes right out of the box. I personally tend to buy a used one when I can, with all the bells and whistles that somebody put on em and then took the hit on the trade in. They have a lot of Sig 1911 and smith 1911's there as well.brand new in fact....I know somebody who works for Sig in NH. They're hand fitting the 45's as they come off the machine. they have one machine that is dedicated to the pistol..Something to consider.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    Bumper, have you had the pleasure of some trigger time behind one of NH's Nighthawks or Big Bores???

~A
    Nighthawk's Nighthawk, yes. Not the Big Bore yet. Big Bore is way too much out of my price range, a Nighthawk could be if I work myself into a big enough frenzy
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Bumper if you already have a Commander to spare, the C&S Adventurer is $1307 to convert. http://www.cylinder-slide.com/ultimate45.shtml
    Too short for me, I am wanting a full size....
    Bumper

Ideas for your 1911

Let me try this again. Know what you're going through. I went through with my Colt Officer's ACP. Luckily when it didn't go bang it was during a match. I don't like firing pin safeties. If it ain't broke don't fix it. You probably know that both the S&W and Sig 1911s have the firing pin safety and external extractors. I was looking at the Kimbers at the Shot Show. They make the "Warrior" without the firing pin safety or the external extractor. Looks like a very nice blaster (retails for $1263). Its the one they made for testing by the Marines. I find it interesting that when these companies come out with a special model it doesn't have all this extemporaneous crap on it. I love my Thunder Ranch (TR) from Les Baer, however understand that price is a concern. I'm not pleased with the fit and finish of the lower end Springfields like the "loaded"model or the Colt "Gunsite"model. Its a shame all these people have to give us what they think WE need!! I've been carrying a 1911 for about 37 years. If you squeeze out about a few hundred more the Thunder Ranch is the way to go. You won't be sorry (once you get it broke in). They are tighter than Dick's hatband and reliable beyond belief. Good luck Chuck

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by TAPS CCW
    If you squeeze out about a few hundred more the Thunder Ranch is the way to go. You won't be sorry (once you get it broke in). They are tighter than Dick's hatband and reliable beyond belief. Good luck Chuck
    I think I like the look of the Les Baer better than the STI Trojan and I wouldn't have to replace the plastic trigger or worry about special ordering the fixed sights. I'm really starting to lean here.... I think since I am off tomorrow I need to find a Les Baer dealer here in Phoenix.

And it does have everything on my list and then some.....

Features include:

Baer steel NM frame
    Baer forged steel NM slide with front and rear serrations
    Slide fitted to frame
    Baer forged NM barrel with stainless match bushing
    LBC deluxe fixed combat rear sight with Tritium inserts
    Baer dovetail front sight with tritium insert
    Lowered and flared ejection port
    Baer checkered slide stop
    Baer extended ejector
    Standard style thumb safety
    Baer aluminum match trigger
    Baer deluxe Commander hammer and sear
    Crisp 4 lb. pull
    Baer tuned bar stock extractor
    Baer beavertail grip safety with pad
    Deluxe high checkered front strap at 30 lpi
    Flat checkered mainspring housing
    Beveled magazine well
    Polished feed ramp and throated barrel
    Complete pistol rounded for tactical use
    Blue finish on complete pistol
    Deluxe special slim line grips with thunder Ranch logo (not available with extended ambi safety)
    (3) Stainless steel 7-round premium magazines
    Special Thunder Ranch logo engraved on slide
    Special serial numbers with "TR" prefix
    Attached Images
    Bumper

1952 - 2006
    The only thing I would alter on it is, I have small hands and would have Les put in a short trigger.
    You may also consider the 2 piece mag well, it goes on and off with an allen head screw on the bottom of the main spring housing.
    Maybe the ambi-safety.
    Mine has all of them.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    The only thing I would alter on it is, I have small hands and would have Les put in a short trigger.
    You may also consider the 2 piece mag well, it goes on and off with an allen head screw on the bottom of the main spring housing.
    Maybe the ambi-safety.
    Mine has all of them.
    I was thinking about the short trigger. After doing a search on the gun I read an article saying they would do that upon request. I like the normal beveled magwell and safety. If they put the ambi safety on it I wonder what you get for grips? They say the TR grips are not available with the ambi safety. I like the wood slimline grips. I saw them on a gun at the SHOT Show (probably the TRS) and liked them.
    Bumper

Red face

Well, since you "insist" on "scope creep"....the Ed Brown Kobra is a good looking gun, and hey, it's only a few hundred more !
    Attached Images

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Prospector
    Well, since you "insist" on "scope creep"....the Ed Brown Kobra is a good looking gun, and hey, it's only a few hundred more !
    Hmmmmm, noooo, I can't stand it. I have to stop somewhere.... :3schild40
    Bumper

1952 - 2006
    If you get the ambi-safety you get standard thickness grips with the Thunder Ranch logo.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

If i could save the money long enough i would buy a kobra carry or a kobra

If I were still heavily into the 1911's (I have two already) I'd go with an Ed Brown Kobra Carry with the optional snake skin finish and bobbed grip.

Wish I had seen the thread earlier

I went down to Ben Avery today and poked around 'Winter Range', but I have a Wilson Protector that I've been thinking of letting go...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links