I need ideas on a new 1911 - Page 4

I need ideas on a new 1911

This is a discussion on I need ideas on a new 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bumper, the Les Baer is a fine gun. I sent an email to Big Bore to get his opinion. I think the STI or the ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need ideas on a new 1911

Bumper, the Les Baer is a fine gun. I sent an email to Big Bore to get his opinion. I think the STI or the Les Baer will do you proud. Another option is to get a Nighthawk at cost. As a big Bore owner I can buy any gun from Big Bore at cost. I think it's time to go the range.

Can you post a link to the NightHawk site?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Ex, Here is the link http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/about.htm. I have the Enforcer II. I bought it after firing a couple of Wilson's. I love it but I can say it does not hold a candle to my Big Bore. http://bigborecustom.com/. So far I've fired 5 Big Bore's. Own one and have Mercury model on order. Pics attached.
    Attached Images

I Like this one but im Afraid of the $$$$ it Costs

Theres a nightHawk Custom sitting at the local gun shop if the colors werent so ugly id nab it its a enforcer or a enforcer II but the frame is tan and the slide OD green :barf:
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Bud White; February 21st, 2005 at 07:38 PM.

Red face

I forget (middle age symptom) who said it, but I don't care for 1911's with the front serrations. That was first thing I noticed about the Ed Brown Kobra, and it is full length 5 incher. The Kobra Carry is a 4 incher. I think it would look outstanding with a pair of ivory slabs....Oh yeah! If I wasn't working on the dredge, I might be tempted to try ole Ed Brown's out.

1952 - 2006
    Personally I like the front serrations. I think that they look great and they are a great help when you are making a chamber check in the field in the dark, or any other time I check loaded status. I find them more convienient to use than the rear serrations.

I don't like doing a "press check" from the bushing because you have to put your hand in front of the muzzle (albeit below it), I would rather use front serrations and keep the muzzle clear.

I think a previous post said that they wore a hole in him, I think he was using a Yaqui slide holster, in that case they could get tiresome. But I don't like Yaqui slide holsters, so it doesn't present a problem for me.

One other point in favor of them is if you are in a fight and are wet or bloody I want all the serrations I can have for gripping the slide for a reload or malfunction clearance.

Just my 2 cents worth on the subject.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

For $1300 you could probably have a local smith build one for ya.

A few comments.

1) I own two STI Trojans, a 5.0 in 9x19 and a 6.0 in .40 S&W. I ordered the 9x19 with a Heinie rear sight, regular thickness grips, and a hard chrome finish. There are no true STI stocking dealers, so every pistol is a custom order. The sights and grip options are no cost options unless you opt for tritium, so might as well get what you want. Great pistol out of the box. Not one I would every carry out of the box regardless of caliber. Why? The magazine release is smooth (not checkered or serrated) and it ships with a FLGR and reverse plug. In addition, the .45 ACP versions do seem to be plagued with feeding problems. Chris at STI will take care of you, but you specified "out of the box" performance and no parts swapping.

2) I would look at a used Wilson Combat. Why? It hits your price point and the Wilson warranty follows the pistol, not the original owner. I recently picked up a NIB (pouch) 2001 Protector for $1300. If I was concerned, I could send it to Wilson for a full check-up. I am not going to carry this one either due to the FLGR and the 30 lpi checkering, but it is a nice shooter.

3) Rock River Arms may have what you want, but the prices just increased. Very nice pistols.

DC Founder
    I meant to post this yesterday but got sidetracked. I was planning on buying the Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special, and although my wallet says I should have stuck with that plan, I changed my mind when I happened upon "my gun". It's a brand new Nighthawk Enforcer. It looks like the photo below except it is all black. It cost considerably more than what I had proposed, which I predicted I would do, but I am satisfied I bought the right gun. Now if I can raise the rest of the moolah, it will become my main gun.

FEATURES (from their website):
    • Government size frame
    • Fully machined frame and slide
    • Genuine Novak Low Mount night sight with white outlines (front), Novak plain rear
    • Hand lapped slide to frame fit
    • 25 lpi checkered front strap and mainspring housing
    • Tactical safety
    • Black Finish
    • Nighthawk Custom match grade stainless barrel/bushing
    • Nighthawk logo thin line Alumagrips
    • Hex head grip screws finished to match
    • 8rd magazines (2)
    • Nighthawk Custom embroidered pistol rug
    • One inch at 25 yards guarantee

Lots of good recommendations on this thread by the way if anyone else is considering buying a 1911. Thanks guys!
    Attached Images
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Range report mandatory, Bump.

Dan

Bumper what mods are you requesting Nighthawk Custom do to it?
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    Bumper what mods are you requesting Nighthawk Custom do to it?
    None, the gun is already built and sitting in the safe at the gun shop here in Phoenix. It is perfect and needs no mods except being placed in my inventory. A rebate wouldn't hurt either but I'm sure that won't happen. I'll do a range report and pictures once I get it home and to the range.
    Bumper

Angry My Wife say's you're a B-A-D Influence, Bumper!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I meant to post this yesterday but got sidetracked. I was planning on buying the Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special, and although my wallet says I should have stuck with that plan, I changed my mind when I happened upon "my gun". It's a brand new Nighthawk Enforcer. It looks like the photo below except it is all black. It cost considerably more than what I had proposed, which I predicted I would do, but I am satisfied I bought the right gun. Now if I can raise the rest of the moolah, it will become my main gun.

FEATURES (from their website):
    • Government size frame
    • Fully machined frame and slide
    • Genuine Novak Low Mount night sight with white outlines (front), Novak plain rear
    • Hand lapped slide to frame fit
    • 25 lpi checkered front strap and mainspring housing
    • Tactical safety
    • Black Finish
    • Nighthawk Custom match grade stainless barrel/bushing
    • Nighthawk logo thin line Alumagrips
    • Hex head grip screws finished to match
    • 8rd magazines (2)
    • Nighthawk Custom embroidered pistol rug
    • One inch at 25 yards guarantee

Lots of good recommendations on this thread by the way if anyone else is considering buying a 1911. Thanks guys!
    Here I've gone and added a NIGHTHAWK Talon III to my list of future buys! Remember I'd sworn off small 1911's. But I saw that Talon III is a Commander size barrel on an Officer size frame and that is EXACTLY what I want! I still like my Sigs but the Talon III is a work of art.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

DC Founder
    I found a picture of the all black Nighthawk Enforcer I have in my future (Thursday).
    Attached Images
    Bumper

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    My Wife say's you're a B-A-D Influence, Bumper! Here I've gone and added a NIGHTHAWK Talon III to my list of future buys! Remember I'd sworn off small 1911's. But I saw that Talon III is a Commander size barrel on an Officer size frame and that is EXACTLY what I want! I still like my Sigs but the Talon III is a work of art.
    I have, occasionally, been called a bad influence but actually I am just sharing the bad influence that is inflicted on me by Prospector and Nighthawk and even some of you guys.
    Bumper

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links