1st range time with 380

1st range time with 380

This is a discussion on 1st range time with 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; well i just got back from the range with my TAURUS 380 might be a compact but i`m 6ft 3 240 AND I WOULDN`T WANT ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 1st range time with 380

1st range time with 380

well i just got back from the range with my TAURUS 380 might be a compact but i`m 6ft 3 240 AND I WOULDN`T WANT TO GET HIT WITH IT - WITH 6 IN THE MAG AND 1 IN THE CHAMBER I FEEL GOOD ABOUT IT - WAS CARRYING MY MP 40 during cold weather but now it`s getting warmer here and i really need to hide with just a tee shirt - so if you know anyone looking for a small carry it`s got my vote

VIP Member
    I own a Ruger LCP and agree that I would rather not be on the business end of a .380 or any other gun for that matter.

However, with this said there are many options to carry 9mm or larger in most types of attire. I carried a Kahr PM9 every day for 2 years. It weighs roughly 6 oz's more than my LCP and it is a little bulkier, but I was almost always able to find a way to carry it. I still carry it in gym shorts and t-shirts using a Remora holster on occassion.

My current EDC is an XDm .45C. I have the LCP to use as a BUG, when working out and for pocket carry, but I rarely use it as my primary. I have found that the longer I have carried, the more comfortable I have become both carrying and concealing larger guns.

No knock on your choice - we carry what we can carry; just an observation I have made in my own evolution.
    Member Georgia Carry

Which 380 do you have? I EDC the TCP on a regular basis.

I am glad it works for you.
    NickBurkhardt likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    I own a Ruger LCP and agree that I would rather not be on the business end of a .380 or any other gun for that matter.

However, with this said there are many options to carry 9mm or larger in most types of attire. I carried a Kahr PM9 every day for 2 years. It weighs roughly 6 oz's more than my LCP and it is a little bulkier, but I was almost always able to find a way to carry it. I still carry it in gym shorts and t-shirts using a Remora holster on occassion.

My current EDC is an XDm .45C. I have the LCP to use as a BUG, when working out and for pocket carry, but I rarely use it as my primary. I have found that the longer I have carried, the more comfortable I have become both carrying and concealing larger guns.

No knock on your choice - we carry what we can carry; just an observation I have made in my own evolution.
    I agree, but the other 9mm options aren't as small, as light, or as concealable as the .380s. When I'm working out, going to be active most of the day, dressed in gym shorts w/o a belt, or absolutely MUST keep my firearm concealed, the .380 beats all other options hands down. Other than that, I normally carry a 9mm even in the summer months.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    I agree, but the other 9mm options aren't as small, as light, or as concealable as the .380s. When I'm working out, going to be active most of the day, dressed in gym shorts w/o a belt, or absolutely MUST keep my firearm concealed, the .380 beats all other options hands down. Other than that, I normally carry a 9mm even in the summer months.
    The small .380's obviously have a place because a lot of manufacturers make them and plenty of people own them. As I noted I do carry one, but typically as a BUG. It is only my primary occassionally while working out or occasionally in a suit when I can't get another gun to work right. And over time I have found myself going to the Kahr as that small option far more often.

The purpose of my post was to share that in my experience I started with something small because I was physically uncomfortable carrying anything bigger and didn't think I could conceal anything else. Once I spent some time carrying, I realized I could go bigger and heavier and it neither bothered me not was it difficult to conceal. I also wanted to point out that there are 9mm options that are close in size. Again, just an observation.
    spclopr8tr and TeflonDon like this.
    Member Georgia Carry

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    well i just got back from the range with my TAURUS 380 might be a compact but i`m 6ft 3 240 AND I WOULDN`T WANT TO GET HIT WITH IT - WITH 6 IN THE MAG AND 1 IN THE CHAMBER I FEEL GOOD ABOUT IT - WAS CARRYING MY MP 40 during cold weather but now it`s getting warmer here and i really need to hide with just a tee shirt - so if you know anyone looking for a small carry it`s got my vote
    Congratulations.
    I handled a TCP at the LGS a few weeks ago and I was pretty impressed with it. I carry my little Keltec 3AT quite a bit and really like it but the TCP felt better in my hand and the trigger felt much better too. Since my 3AT has already proven itself to be really reliable I don't think I'll make the switch right now but the TCP is certainly something to consider in a handgun that size.
    TeflonDon likes this.
    NRA Life Member
    NC Lifetime Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    The small .380's obviously have a place because a lot of manufacturers make them and plenty of people own them. As I noted I do carry one, but typically as a BUG. It is only my primary occassionally while working out or occasionally in a suit when I can't get another gun to work right. And over time I have found myself going to the Kahr as that small option far more often.

The purpose of my post was to share that in my experience I started with something small because I was physically uncomfortable carrying anything bigger and didn't think I could conceal anything else. Once I spent some time carrying, I realized I could go bigger and heavier and it neither bothered me not was it difficult to conceal. I also wanted to point out that there are 9mm options that are close in size. Again, just an observation.
    Same here. I only carry mine mostly while working out or while at work . I can normally slip my TCP into a cell phone sized pocket, and no one would ever expect a gun to be in there. With that said, like you, I prefer to carry a 9mm, but in a dbl stack all year around mostly because I get the extra capacity and because 9mm is easier to find and cost less to shoot than .380 or other calibers.
    RickyD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by houser52 View Post
    Congratulations.
    I handled a TCP at the LGS a few weeks ago and I was pretty impressed with it. I carry my little Keltec 3AT quite a bit and really like it but the TCP felt better in my hand and the trigger felt much better too. Since my 3AT has already proven itself to be really reliable I don't think I'll make the switch right now but the TCP is certainly something to consider in a handgun that size.
    Yea, I looked at the 3AT and the LCP, but neither of them came in stainless at the time and neither had last round hold open. Heard a lot of good things about the 3AT though, and I know a lot of people still carry them.

the 380 is an underrated caliber
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Like RickyD a .380 is one of my BUGs, winter, spring, summer or fall I carry them all.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

1st range time with 380

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    Like RickyD a .380 is one of my BUGs, winter, spring, summer or fall I carry them all.
    i have the t.c.p. - was carrying a s&w 40 - it was just too big - in my mind i could see people looking at where i concealed it it was probably just me i probably could find a way to carry it in summer but this 380 is soooo comfortable and i do have 7 rounds to get the job done - you could have an m-60 machine gun but if he gets that 1st shot it just might be lights out - THANKS FOR THE FEED BACK

VIP Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    Good that you can make it work for you. I have never been overly worried about printing, so I'll continue carrying a FS M&P40. I honestly think whatever you are comfortable with carrying is the way to go. The thought of one of us not carrying everyday because they are not comfortable just doesn't sit well. Especially in this day and age with everything that is going on in our country. Stay safe!
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

There are times I have wondered if the people who claim 380s aren't enough gun the loudest have ever fired one. Would I choose to only have a 380 if I were going in to combat or as part of a entry team or something? of course not.

But for an armed civilian who's primary concern is simply to be....well....armed, it often comes down to what is the most comfortable, convenient and practical to have on you most of the time.

The problem I see with most small 380's is not necessarily the pistol itself but the shooter pulling the trigger. Some of these little 380's are not easy to shoot accurately at all. I think some people are better off carrying a larger weapon just because many times they are easier to shoot accurately.
    Goldy49 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links