Anyone carry Derringers as pocket guns??

This is a discussion on Anyone carry Derringers as pocket guns?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If so what manufacturer and what caliber. I was just curious as to if this is a viable option in todays CCW market or on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone carry Derringers as pocket guns??

If so what manufacturer and what caliber. I was just curious as to if this is a viable option in todays CCW market or on the streets.

Thanks

Matt

I sometimes carry an American Derringer in .44 Spcl - as a BUG to my primary.

Kicks like he**, the bullets tumble (creats a hole .44 wide and .70 tall), isn't any good past five yards (the two shots spread about 10" - 14" longitudinally if not allowed for), but Dang it would hurt to be hit with one of these rounds.
    KnifeGuy likes this.

A Derringer is another gun i have always just 'wanted'.
    I got my 1911's, now to a Derringer and really am interested in seeing what people like and don't like with them.

or if folks even do carry them?

I guess they are a deep concelament gun or of course a BUG.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

NAA .22 mini mag. left front pocket.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I had a Cobra in .38 Special for a while. I found it difficult to carry because it was so wide. That and the fact that I never really seemed to hit anything at any range with it prompted me to sell it.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Can you do it? Yes. Best choice? I would say "no". Serious caliber derringers have serious power mainsprings, which can make them problematic to cock- dangerous, if you lose your grip. Too many other, more ergonomic (read, "I can keep my hand on the d**n gun in a crisis!") choices. If you need a .45 LC, your choices are restricted to the O/U, however.....

I owned one in 38/357, and currently have one of the old Hi Standard DA 22Mag. I gave the 38/357 away, it was large and heavy, slow to get into action, and only had two very inaccurate shots. There are too many lighter, thinner, higher capacity pocket pistols out there for me to consider carrying one. I still have the Hi Standard as a collector. I also have the evil wallet holster that came with it. I will say the large bore derringers are a hoot to shoot!
    str1

I use to have an American Derringer in .45 Colt/410
    I carried it for awhile but findly decided it was too stubby,heavy, & bulky. I never did find a great way to carry it. Recoil wasn't bad, I kept it loaded with 410 shells, 1st barrel was loaded with (3) 000 buck and 2nd loaded with #6 shot. It definately is a Fun gun.

Also becareful with these little beauties....... if you close the barrels loaded ,without the safety on ... you have a good chance of a KABOOOOOM.

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

When I'm in short pants for the summer its NAA's mini-mag folding...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Personally, I've always shied away from Derringers because most of them need to be thumb-cocked before firing. I can have several shots on target with a Seecamp, Kel-Tec or J-Frame in substantially less time than it takes to just get one of these out, cocked and on target.
    Others might not agree with my position, but speed is usually more of a consideration for a back-up gun as opposed to a primary.

Derringers could put you at serious a disadvantage. It's hard to cock and shoot and could be more dangerous to you and the people around you.

Several years ago, in a fit of macho bravado, I tried carrying an American Derringer as a pocket BUG. The gun was in 38/357 but shooting it in 357 was an excercise in self immolation. To say nothing that the gun took forever to present and fire and still I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. Beautiful little gun but certainly not a good choice for a gun upon which I would rely.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I have a Davis in 9mm. Strictly used when it is impossible for me to take my carry gun. It is not meant to be used in a running gun battle. Since most self-defense shootings use something like 2.5 shots I have 80% of that covered with a derringer. I think they are better than nothing. Also I have loved the look of them since I was a kid watching the old 1950's TV show Yancy Derringer.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

DA Derringer

I have a double action 9mm derringer that took a long time for me to find. American Derringer says they make one, but when they have a manufacturing run, they sell fast.

The double action is a lot better than the single action ones. I tried the single action but the act of cocking the hammer was a pain. With the DA one, all you have to do is drop the safety and pull the trigger twice. Being 9mm, it is the caliber as my carry gun.

Accuracy sucks, because at 5 yds, you have to aim at the stomach to hit the chest. But with practice, and a lot of wear to your shooting hand, you can get good with it.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Derringers could put you at serious a disadvantage. It's hard to cock and shoot and could be more dangerous to you and the people around you.
    I disagree, any gun is dangerous. Its how well you use it. I carry a NAA .22 revo as a BUG. It is no more dangerous than any other pistol I own. I consider a BUG as a "get off me gun" rather than a 7+ yrd shooter.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links