USP Compact .45 vs XD .45

This is a discussion on USP Compact .45 vs XD .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently own an XD .45 and its the first pistol I've owned. When I purchased the gun, it was only going to get range ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I currently own an XD .45 and its the first pistol I've owned. When I purchased the gun, it was only going to get range use, but I've since acquired my CHL, and carry when I can. Under a Carhart jacket, you can hide just about anything. However spring is coming, and I feel like it is just too much for me to adaquately conceal. Perhaps I'm just being too paranoid about it and need to work on adjusting my wardrobe a bit more, but I really like shorts and t-shirts. I digress.

I'm thinking about going after a USPc .45. Size-wise it seems a little smaller than my XD, perhaps a tad thicker. I can't find one around here to shoot. So I'm asking for opinions from those that have shot both.

Secondly, in a perfect world, where the money tree blooms $100 bills, I would just buy the gun, however I must have gotten a defective tree. I'm thinking about selling the XD, with 4 mags. I'm not really sure how much to ask. I'm open to suggestions about either selling locally, online, whatever. I have an idea about what I would like from it, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Well, I haven't shot the XD, but I do have a USP Compact .45. It's a great pistol, I use it for my EDC. Buy it, you won't regret it.

The XD .45 you currently have, is it compact version? With it's 10+1 and 13+1 round capabilities, it is rather a versatile selection. But then again, you can never really go wrong with an HK. I have never shot an XD in .45, but I have shot the USPc. I found it to be a great firearm but could never justify spending the dough on one. I'd forgo selling the XD for a USPc and wait until you've actually held and possibly shot one. Just my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    The XD .45 you currently have, is it compact version? With it's 10+1 and 13+1 round capabilities, it is rather a versatile selection. But then again, you can never really go wrong with an HK. I have never shot an XD in .45, but I have shot the USPc. I found it to be a great firearm but could never justify spending the dough on one. I'd forgo selling the XD for a USPc and wait until you've actually held and possibly shot one. Just my humble opinion.
    No, I wish it was the compact version, for that very reason. I have handled a USPc .40. and liked the feel of the gun. Just wish I could shoot it before I buying it. I think also like the idea of having a saftey/decocking lever. Yeah, I know, the XD is just as "safe" as the USP, just a preference.

Most sold guns end up being a source of great regret.
    If it works keep it and sell something else, maybe have a garage sale or two, you might need the XD one day.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I have the XD45 Compact. It hides well under a t-shirt. Rule #2: Never sell your handgun.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    I have the XD45 Compact. It hides well under a t-shirt. Rule #2: Never sell your handgun.
    Thats a given, I would never sell my handgun without having something to replace it first.

I also just realized that the USP has a polygonal bore, which means, unless I'm mistaken, I can't shoot the 1000+ rounds of 230 gr LRN I've loaded though the USP. So..... I HAVE to keep the XD. Darn the luck.

Lead Moderator
    Both guns are excellent shooters. I carry a full size USP .40 for the winter. Have shot the XD service .40 . At the very least , try handling a USPc before buying, however the grips feel similar.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You can sell me the XD45

New Member Array BiggerIsBetter's Avatar
    I personally have both guns. Both are great and DO NOT sell the XD !! I have the XD45, 9 and subcomp 9 as well as the HK USP 45 and 45c. I will never sell any of them.

The HK is one of the highest quality handguns you can buy. No joke, no debate. The HK was built and designed as a military and law enforcement handgun so you don't get much better as far a carry piece in my mind. Just go look at one and you can feel it. I really like the different options of carry considering it is DA/SA. You can even carry it cocked and locked like a 1911. The XD, while a fine weapon, does not give you the versility nor it as proven as the HK. I forgot who said it but someone said that the only handgun they would feel comfortable taking from the retail counter straight to the battlefield would ba an HK. Both of mine have NEVER had anything so much as a hickup. My XD's haven't had any either but the round count is not near the HK's. That is why i carry my HK as my daily piece. The HK is a very accurate gun just as the XD is. the only downside to the HKc is the 8 round mag capacity. carry mine with 8+1 and at least one extra mag (& my .357 airlite BUG )

My opinion for what it's worth.

How well do you shot the XD? Any complaints with it? Because if you shoot it well & have no complaints. It seems like the XD45c would be a great fit for you.

Option of carrying with the smaller 10 (plus 1 in chamber) round mag & can carry the extended 13 rd for additional ammo. Giving you 24 rds of 45acp.

Plus your new carry gun would function just like the your current one. Use the money save to buy more ammo & burn it at the range.

Now with that said the HK is a great gun & they have a really good reputation. I had a USP 40 & really liked the gun. My only complaint was the DA trigger pull was on the heavy & long side.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i think with the right holster and belt setup you could carry the XD in the summer with shorts, and cover shirt.
    I have the xd45 and I carry it in Gary Brommeland's Max Con V and matching belt. I can carry it in khaki shorts and a cover shirt.
    just my .02...
    I have a 'man Law'...once a firearm is purchased, it is owned for life. either yours or its......that depends on the gun.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Don't get rid of the XD! I've got an XD45 as well and it makes a terrific HD pistol or nightstand gun. I'm also going to give it a whirl on Sunday and see how she carries.

For EDC, right now I use a Sig P239 in 9mm, although you can get them with swappable .40 and .357 Sig barrels/magazines which hold 7+1 instead of the 8+1 in 9mm.

Perhaps see about an XD9 if you like the XD45, or if you're set on the .45 as your carry caliber, look into a Glock 36 (not too recommended from me due to pinching issues) or a 4" or so 1911 for carry use (Kimber makes a great selection, as I'm sure RetSupt will attest to shortly )

Good luck and keep us updated!

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    First I agree completely with snowdoctor - keep the XD. You will regret getting rid of it.

As for the USPc, I have one in .40 and one in .357 sig. I will probably buy the .45 in the near future. I think they are one of the most versatile, accurate and well made weapons out there. You just can't go wrong with HK (of course, I am pretty biased).
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Like posted many times before, keep the XD, look for deals around, save some money and then get the USPc .45 to complement it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links