Glock 27

This is a discussion on Glock 27 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I just got my Glock 27 in 2 days ago and love the size. I can pretty much carry it 24/7 and not even ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 27

Glock 27

So I just got my Glock 27 in 2 days ago and love the size. I can pretty much carry it 24/7 and not even think about it. The only problem that I am having is the fact it doesn't have a saftey outside. My other gun had an outside saftey and I felt 100% safe with it.

For some reason I have been thinking that not keeping one in the chamber is safer. Am I crazy? I am just real nervese and I don't know why. Can someone ease my thoughts?

Please keep in mind that I am a new Glocker.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

2. Remove Ads

Yes, you are crazy. Sorry, I had to do that.

Think of it as you would a double action revolver. No external safety, yet countless DA wheelies have been and are carried without incident.

Just make sure that you have a quality holster that completely covers the trigger guard. If the trigger isn't pulled, the Glock will not go bang.

If you carry with an empty chamber, I hope you have your Concealed Paper Weight Permit.

Like Ranger stated, the Glock will not go bang unless you pull the trigger. I have owned several Glocks and carried them several different ways and never had an accidental discharge.

I currently carry my G27 in either a Desantis minislide speed scabbard or a Serpa level II. The stock 5.5 trigger is perfect. My first Glock was a model 19 that had the NY2 trigger. When I left the NYPD I put a 5.5 trigger back in.

DEFINATELY keep one in the pipe. To each his own, but I would rather draw and shoot, than have to worry about racking the slide.

Good luck, I'm sure that you will love the G27.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I also have a G27. It is a great gun, it's nice to carry ten 40 cal rounds in such a small package. I also have a few 1911's. I actually prefer to carry my Glocks & Kahrs without those external safeties. The reason being is when the sh#t hits the fan, I want to be able to just draw and fire. Under stressful conditions, physiologically, lots of things occur including loss of fine motor skills. Forget about having time or being able to load one in the chamber. I would use a good holster that covers that trigger.

How you feel...nothing you can't overcome, just do some training/practice with your Glock until you feel comfortable. No matter what gun I carry, I always remember to keep my finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. Good luck & enjoy your new firearm.

thanks guys i know a lot of people carry glocks and i knw they are safe but it is just new for me. i have a blackhawk serpra holster coming in. i think it is just a matter of me carrying it. thanks again
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I carry my 27 every day. I shared your nervousness with the lack of external safety at first. I carried it unchambered for about 2 weeks to get used to it... been carrying it hot ever since. I use an Uncle Mikes IWB holster 99% of the time, and it's great. The other 1% of the time it's in a Galco Ankle Glove.... make sure you have boot cut pants.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

VIP Member
    If you're still nervous about it when your holster comes in, there is a way to get over it.

UNLOAD YOUR GUN. Triple check that there is no ammo in the weapon. This should settle your mind to the point where you know it isn't going to go off. Now, pull the slide to the rear and let it slide forward. Holster the gun, and go about your normal life. At the end of the day unholster your gun and check to see if the trigger has been pulled. If it has, then a round would have been fired. It it hasn't, you would have been safe. Repeat the process until you are comfortable with the fact that the gun will not fire unless and until you pull the trigger.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I when remember when Glocks were "taking over" the LE community. I was just starting out & was a "revolver" guy. My first handgun was a Dan Wesson 14-2 .357 mag revolver. Bought in '81 (Not by me since I was too young at the time). Still have it with the original 2.5" barrel & little walnut grip. I've added a pachmeyer combat grip, 4" barrel & a laser sight. It's now my wife's defense gun.

Wow, I digress. The point being the issues of Glocks not having an external safety was big then, but a funny thing started happening. Many manufacturers started offering DAO on their DA/SA guns. Now, of course, new designs come out where the gun's only DAO.

Like everyone else has pretty much said, get a good holster that covers the trigger fully & you're good to go. I've carried one model or another of Glocks for the last 10 years including pocket carrying a G-26 without a single problem.

Good luck, the G-27's a nice little powerhouse gun!
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    If you're still nervous about it when your holster comes in, there is a way to get over it.

UNLOAD YOUR GUN. Triple check that there is no ammo in the weapon. This should settle your mind to the point where you know it isn't going to go off. Now, pull the slide to the rear and let it slide forward. Holster the gun, and go about your normal life. At the end of the day unholster your gun and check to see if the trigger has been pulled. If it has, then a round would have been fired. It it hasn't, you would have been safe. Repeat the process until you are comfortable with the fact that the gun will not fire unless and until you pull the trigger.
    That will absolutely be a positive reinforcement. However, I would not recommend walking around in public with an unloaded weapon. If this practice is used I would at least want to have a BUG.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

The Glock 27 is one of my favorite carry pistols and never had a problem with the trigger, just keep your finger off of it until you are ready to fire. Steve48

VIP Member
    NY27, I didn't intend it to be a CCW type of situation. I think of doing it around the house and other "non-threat" places. If in public, I would hope he continued to carry the same weapon he has carried and just take the new Glock along for the ride.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    NY27, I didn't intend it to be a CCW type of situation. I think of doing it around the house and other "non-threat" places. If in public, I would hope he continued to carry the same weapon he has carried and just take the new Glock along for the ride.
    I'm sorry, I misunderstood your post. I thought that going about your normal day meant going out in public.

Be well.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

well i got my serpra in and i love it. it also makes me feel 100% safer on carrying my new glock 27. thanks

Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by elrey718 View Post
    well i got my serpra in and i love it. it also makes me feel 100% safer on carrying my new glock 27. thanks
    Now that you got your holster, don't forget about a mag and mag pouch, a flashlight and a folder. If the decision to carry a weapon has been made - these other three items should also be put into service as well.

...you'll thank me later...

i already have my blackhawk mag holder, ker shaw knife in my strong side back pocket and flashlight weak side front pocket. everywhere i go

oh ya and my blackberry. Will never leave tht behind

i got ot covered. . . . learned a lot frm this site. LOL

Ricardo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links