New S&W M&P .40 Compact

New S&W M&P .40 Compact

This is a discussion on New S&W M&P .40 Compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I have seen the full sized M&P's before, but they were bigger than I was interested in, but they did appear to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New S&W M&P .40 Compact

Hi All,
    I have seen the full sized M&P's before, but they were bigger than I was interested in, but they did appear to be a very nice gun. I have read all that I could find on the M&P guns and they sounded pretty interesting to me. This past Sunday, I made the mistake of going into a local shooting range and they had just received the M&P Compacts. I picked up the .40 and it was pretty much love at first feel!! It felt awesome in my hand!! So, I did something that I hope I will not regret, I went back in yesterday and traded in my Glock G27 for this gun . The only question still up in the air with these new M&P firearms, for me, is durability and reliability. I have talked with a couple of people who's opinions I respect very much and they think that they are awesome guns and will hold up well. The Glock was a great gun and has never given my a bit of trouble. I do not have the $$ to just go out and buy another gun, so this was the only way to do it. So far, I really like the M&P!!
    I got home too late last night to shoot the gun and it needed to be cleaned and lubed first anyway, so I spent the evening doing that. She is looking nice!!
    I live WAY OUT in the country, so this morning, I left home a bit early and drove up the road behind our house. Now I will admit to not shooting enough to be a real marksman and I could shoot ok with my Glock but not very impressive stuff. This morning I set a can up at about 30 ft and fired one off. First shot out of my new gun, I HIT THE CAN . Second shot, I hit the can . Third shot, I missed . I honestly am not sure I would have hit all three times with my Glock, and the M&P is still a brand new gun. I have read and can now see(feel) that the trigger is a bit gritty feeling. It sounds like that will go away in time and with rounds through the gun. Also, if I knew how, I could probably polish some parts and smooth it out. In the mean time, I have just been doing some dry firing to help work it out. There is noticeably less felt recoil with the M&P. It is still a snappy round, but it feels good. I am guessing here, but the better shooting and the recoil are probably due to a more ergonomic gun. The Glock is kind of like holding a brick
    I hope this report does not sound like I am knocking the Glock. I am not at all. I used to talk down about Glock until I bought one. I will not ever do that again. I think that the Glock is an outstanding gun with a very good track record. I will probably buy another one someday, if I get extra $$.
    I have spoken with Kevin at K&D Holsters and he is set up to make holsters for the M&P guns. He will have an order from me very soon!!
    So to close this, so far, I am extremely impressed with my new M&P .40 Compact. It is a great gun!! I will also admit that I like the part that says U.S.A!!
    Here are some pictures for you all. Thanks for reading.

Ron

Last edited by ront; February 14th, 2007 at 08:07 PM.
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Those are some good looking handguns!
    Beretta 92FS

Nice lookin' weapon. I will have to look into it. I am looking for a compact. It says 40c on it isn't it supposed to be 40 s&w?

The "C" stands for Compact I would assume.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Lead Moderator
    "Finding a gun that fits you" , priceless. Glad ya like yer new pistol.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Congrats on the new pistol. They are a pure joy to shoot!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

VIP Member
    Those M&P's look sharp.....I gotta check them out up close and personal during my next gun store/show visit.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member
    Being a newbie I'm hesitant to add anything as I am really new to the handgun world. Saying that, as I do my online reading, it seems that S&W semi autos fell into disfavor for awhile but are making a comeback. If nothing else, they are more reasonable. Went to the S&W forum and found, of course, lots of praise. I do know that the first Glock I shot was a 27 and "limp wristing" was supposed to be the culprit for jamming every fourth round though it has not happened with any other of the pistols I have shot. I'd really like to shoot that compact but have not found it available in our town...yet.

Nice. I'm glad the 40c has come out now.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Thanks for the comments all. All I can say is that so far, I am extremely pleased with this gun .

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

NOOOOOO ... I know my next gun purchase but the budget says it isn't going to be soon :-(

So, just to help everyone into my boat, Crimson Trace now makes laser grips for the M&P
    http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/486/lg660oy3.jpg
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

It did not take Crimson Trace long to fit the M&P did it?

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Congrats on your purchase. I don't know if I would trade in my Glock for one, but bottom line is you shoot well with it and you're satisfied with it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanCCW View Post
    Congrats on your purchase. I don't know if I would trade in my Glock for one, but bottom line is you shoot well with it and you're satisfied with it.
    Time will tell if I am happy with my trade. It was not an easy decision for me to make! Glock is not going anywhere soon, so it is not like I can't get another one. Someday, someone is going to knock Glock of of their pedestal. Who knows who or when. The Glock is a great gun!! I will NEVER knock them! The M&P just feels really good in my hand. We will just have to give it some time.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Congratulations, nice 40C
    Twolf
    "If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith, director, Thunder Ranch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links