Defensive Carry banner

Beretta 950 Jetfire 25 acp {updated with pics}

11K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Garg 
#1 ·
What all can ya tell me about it looking at one for the right price

Yes im looking at it for a bug and other reasons

#2 ·
:biggrin2: NOW........all ya gotta do is find a way to place those 500 Mag Ctgs inside the magazine.............LOL:biggrin2:
Either way, that little Beretta is one fine peice for an "in your face" encounter They're a LOT smaller than the newer berettas........and they're somewhat scarce
Corbons worked very well in the one I had

#6 ·
Howdy Bud,

I have one that's about 16 years old now. Personally I find it a very well made piece and it has never given me any trouble. Granted, I haven't put that many rounds through her but it NEVER FTF.

BTW, for "practice" I use the cheapest ammo I can get, for carry I generally get Hornady 35 grain HP's. To be honest here, I doubt it makes a difference with the balistics of this caliber.

Generally I consider guns of this type as contact weapons more than true combat pistols. They have their limited place and, IMHO, shouldn't be viewed or used as a .38 snub would.

BTW, mine is a keeper as far as I am concerned Bud.

Anything else I can do-ya-for, just ask.

#8 · (Edited)
BTW, for "practice" I use the cheapest ammo I can get, for carry I generally get Hornady 35 grain HP's. To be honest here, I doubt it makes a difference with the balistics of this caliber.
I've always wondered if using HP ammo was a good idea in calibers such as 25. Have not seen anything concrete, but I wonder if they wouldn't be less likely to penetrate clothing than FMJ? I know making the biggest hole possible is the ultimate goal, but when it comes down to it isn't any hole better than none?

To be honest I have the same concern regarding .380. :confused:

Not trying to start a caliber war here, this is just an observation regarding HP vs. FMJ in stated caliber.

#10 ·
Bud,

You got that right...carry one when there's no other option.

As I said, look upon it as more of a knife that goes bang. I always assumed if I ever had to use mine it would be tucked under the BG's ear or chin. Another way I "practice" with it is at about 2 to 3 feet, I rapid fire into the "face" of the target...the full magazine. Then get ready for the H2H part of the game.

Folks always seem to "compare" the .32, .25, and .22 to other calibers. I guess one can do that but it's not a good comparison. Like comparing the M1 Carbine to the M1 Garand...please. A small caliber weapon like the 950 is not and never will be a .45 or 9mm, not matter what ammo you use or how you use it. So one must adapt their methodologies to suite the weapon at hand.

Once that's understood, and the caliber kept in perspective, I believe there's a place for these weapons...a small one but a place nonetheless. Of course, this is just my opinion on the subject.

Garg,

The reason for the HP's is due to the FMJ's notorious reputation for deflecting from heard surfaces...like skulls and bone in general. Personally, I wouldn't even consider a COM shot with the .25, heck, if you hit a shirt button or lighter you're screwed.

To All,

IMHO...I don't consider these weapons as "ladies guns" or for novices who are recoil sensitive. On the contrary, these are for the experienced close combat practitioner without a doubt.

Oh well...I preached long enough...Miller time all...:bier:

#11 ·
Garg,

The reason for the HP's is due to the FMJ's notorious reputation for deflecting from heard surfaces...like skulls and bone in general. Personally, I wouldn't even consider a COM shot with the .25, heck, if you hit a shirt button or lighter you're screwed.
Didn't think of it like that. Very interesting.

What about a gut shot? Being serious here, as I feel an up close and personal shot is what a 950 would be used for. Would an HP round be more or less likely to perform?

Guess it doesn't really matter. I carry a 642 for my "deep concealment" gun, but it might interest others.

#12 ·
What about a gut shot? Being serious here, as I feel an up close and personal shot is what a 950 would be used for. Would an HP round be more or less likely to perform?

Well Garg good question; I'm no Ballistician or Doctor however, I imagine it would penetrate. Unless it hit an obstruction i.e. belt buckle, firearm/holster, what-ever. I don't feel the .25 (or .22 or .32) has enough velocity and mass (kinetic energy?) to cause much trauma. Without trauma, the misguided individual may succumb to the wound(s) but not until he's whacked you.

Theoretically the HP, such as the 35 grain Hornady HP load, might expand but then what? I doubt that is will cause major damage due to it's lack of oomph (< technical speak here). But hey...could it hurt? Yes...maybe you. Nonetheless, that is why I, personally, lean towards face shots and then soft tissue into brain shots with these weapons/calibers (and these are no guarantee). Again, I am no expert...I'm explaining my choices and opinions here.In other words that's how and why I do it.

This is all speculation and opinion (my hypotheses) on my part Garg and I can foresee a possible "stopping power" debate which I don't want. Plus I don't want to hi-jack Bud's thread.

Guess it doesn't really matter. I carry a 642 for my "deep concealment" gun, but it might interest others.

Nice piece, I love those small S&W's.

#13 ·
This is all speculation and opinion (my hypotheses) on my part Garg and I can foresee a possible "stopping power" debate which I don't want. Plus I don't want to hi-jack Bud's thread.
Agreed, nor do I. You have provided me some very interesting points to ponder, and I thank you.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program. :smilez:

#15 ·
back in the 80's, many mango season ago, when i worked "uc" in the keys i carried a jetfire. come to think about it i would still carry it during uc work, but i got a kel tec p3at. i still got my jetfire, the gun has never given me any problems. goes bang when i pull the trigger, no matter the ammo (factory and/or reloads. yes i reload .25 acp).

for a "bug" you can not go wrong with a jetfire in .25acp. i would also look at the kel tec p3at. both guns will do the job. i have bet my life on both.

#16 ·
heres the pics of it with a 500 smith 700 grain rounds

Im worried due to the small size and power of this cartridge it could produce flinch :rofl:

This round did jump the crimp that why it looks funky where it meets the case i didn't have anyother loaded 700 grain rounds

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.