Ruger LC9s Pro experiences

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9s Pro experiences within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy - I'm giving serious consideration to the purchase of an LC9s Pro model and wondered how many of you have shot one of these ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Ruger LC9s Pro experiences

Ruger LC9s Pro experiences

Howdy - I'm giving serious consideration to the purchase of an LC9s Pro model and wondered how many of you have shot one of these relatively new offerings from Ruger. What are your thoughts? Reliable? Accurate? Great trigger? Is the trigger fairly close to a Glock? My current primary EDC is a Gen 4 Glock 26, so I'm a bit spoiled.

Thanks for sharing.
    Kennydale likes this.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

The trigger is vastly improved from the LC9, and Galloway precision makes a tune up kit for them. The only negative I've heard is the recoil spring/guide rod issue. Galloway makes a stainless steel version to replace it as well. The smooth rounded edges make it very concealable.
    gopbert likes this.

I am a Glock guy. Before that I was a 1911 guy. I've got virtually every 9mm Glock including a Gen 3 G26. I've been patiently waiting for the Glock 9mm single stack. Well you probably know the rest, it ain't happening. At least for the foreseeable future. I went with the the LC9s Pro. I have not been sorry. It is the closest non-Glock Glock that I have seen. A Glock type striker mech and trigger. Great shooter. Not a exactly a Glock but more than capable for CCW...much thinner that the G26. Very, very concealable. rI ran 200 rounds of Winchester White Box and 2 mags of CCW rounds. Not a single failure. Perfect function. It is decently accurate as well. I am not sorry for getting this piece. The only issue is the grip is a bit small for my big hands, the grip extensions that come with the firearm fixed that. If, and when Glock does come out with with the SS, I will think twice before buying.

YMMV...
    Kennydale and Doghandler like this.
    Carry safe,
    Carry proud,
    Carry often!

Ut in ipso audeam, prout orem pietatis procurandam gloriam Dei et sanctae Romanae Ecclesiae. Magna est gloria ejus in perpetuum.

Thanks for both replies. My hands are average at best, so grip size isn't a problem (I have dry-fired one). I would also put some grips on the gun. Now I'm struggling with holster selection ... love the thin, comfortable Little FoxX Hybrid, but it's a bit limiting to 3:30 carry; think a great deal about the Remora, but it's a bit thick. More to follow.

VIP Member
    I am another Glock and 1911 guy. I picked up an LC9s at a raffle at a gun show. It shoots great and is a cinch to conceal. One tricky thing though. Usually Federal HST 124 grain is my self defense load but my Ruger won't eat it. I have yet to try other JHP with it but it shoots FMJ with no issue. Let me know if you find another hollow point that works well with it. It should work the same with yours as mine. The differences are in the safety (or lack thereof) and the removal of the mag disconnect safety.

The trigger is very "Glockesque" which is a good thing in my mind. I find it very accurate for a small offering. I find it a nice addition to my arsenal. I have not looked at the Galloway improvements because I'm quite happy with it as is but I'd keep an open mind.

All in all I'd recommend it.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I am also very seriously looking at making the pro my next purchase as it will fit in to all of the LC9 holsters besides being a great jump in quality. I carry at 3:30 and use deSantis.
    He went on in this vein for a long time, urging them over and over, "Get out while you can; get out of this sick and stupid culture!"
    (Acts 2:40 Message)

Quote Originally Posted by 1gunsnowbird View Post
    Thanks for both replies. My hands are average at best, so grip size isn't a problem (I have dry-fired one). I would also put some grips on the gun. Now I'm struggling with holster selection ... love the thin, comfortable Little FoxX Hybrid, but it's a bit limiting to 3:30 carry; think a great deal about the Remora, but it's a bit thick. More to follow.
    I use a BladeTech Klipit. Very thin, yet strong and comfortable.
    Carry safe,
    Carry proud,
    Carry often!

Ut in ipso audeam, prout orem pietatis procurandam gloriam Dei et sanctae Romanae Ecclesiae. Magna est gloria ejus in perpetuum.

The extended mag 9+1 gives the LC9sPro a much better feel in my large hand, yet for me causes no problem over the standard 7 rd mag when carried IWB at 4:00#.

10 rds of 9mm on board this fine little accurate shooter is a comfort and BTW great trigger and dehorned feathers make it nice for re holstering.

The LC9sPro has taken the place of my M&P 9mm Shield with no real complainants on my part about the Shield.
    Kennydale likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    I picked up a LC9s Pro last week and I was really impressed by this little 9 mm. I had a shield that I gave to my son and I was looking to replace it. Now I have Glocks, M&P's, Sigs, XDm's, you name it and I think the LC9s has the smoothest factory trigger I've shot out of all of the other striker fired guns I own. So far I've put 300 rds of W-W white box and Monarch brass rounds thru the gun along with 100 124gr+P golden sabers without a hiccup. This will no doubt become my summer carry gun. I did add a Hogue Handall Jr. Grip sleeve to it which helped the feel of the grip. It did require a tiny bit of trimming around the mag release and the bottom of the grip.
    Kennydale and Doghandler like this.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Thanks again everyone.

Farsidefan (Gary Larson forever, amen). That's a bit disturbing about HST 124 grains because I just stocked up on those in +P. Was that the round causing problems, or was it the standard pressure load?

I picked up my LC9s Pro yesterday evening, and got to take it to the range today. And at the moment, I'm a bit disappointed. If would feed and fire fine, the only round it didn't seem to like was the truncated cone 147 grn with a flat tip. Feeding, not so good. BUT....almost every other round, the slide would lock open (with a full mag/with 3 rounds left/with 1 round left/with 4 rounds left) again and again and again. The slide lock slops around so much that I can hold the gun upside down with no mag inserted and rack the slide, and it'll lock back. If I place my thumb on top the slide lock while firing, it's all peaches and cream. Very accurate. Like, 1 large hole at 10 yards accurate. So, I've sent an email to Ruger asking if there is a quick fix (or something I'm doing wrong), and I'm waiting to hear back. I'm guessing it will probably be Monday at the earliest.

EDIT TO ADD: Oops, hold the phone. I pulled the insert out of the frame to check the slide stop spring, and it wasn't in it's recess correctly. I put it back in place, and now everything appears to work fine. BUT, I don't know if it was assembled like that, or if it popped out during my range session. Anyhoo, it's "fixed" for now, and I'll update after I've had a chance to put more rounds through it. :D
    Last edited by PluggedNickle; March 22nd, 2015 at 12:04 PM.
    Kennydale likes this.

I had the same exact problem with my new Ruger LC9S pro. I called them and told them what the problem was and they said they would email me a shipping label and to send it in and I did Wednesday. Sucks.This is the second LC9S I'm having problems with and had to send back. I'm quickly losing faith in this series of guns. The first one I sent in I got back and the same problem I sent it in with kept happing. The slide lock wouldn't lock back on the last shot. I tried 3 different magazines with the same out come.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocking26 View Post
    I had the same exact problem with my new Ruger LC9S pro. I called them and told them what the problem was and they said they would email me a shipping label and to send it in and I did Wednesday. Sucks.This is the second LC9S I'm having problems with and had to send back. I'm quickly losing faith in this series of guns. The first one I sent in I got back and the same problem I sent it in with kept happing. The slide lock wouldn't lock back on the last shot. I tried 3 different magazines with the same out come.
    Where are your mags made? Italy or USA. I had USA mags and my weapon would not keep the mags locked and I had read many posts on different forums that it was the mag catch and or the USA mags. I sent to Ruger. They gave it a once over, replaced the barrel (?) and the mags with the MecGar Italian mags. It is a completely different weapon. I put over two hundred rounds including my SD ammo without a single problem. I love this little thing. I now EDC either this or my LCP depending on the situation. I was one of those begging for the Glock SS but now that it is out, the LC9s pro is smaller (In most respects) and carries one more round. To me, at this point, there is no reason to go back to Glock, assuming the LC9s Pro proves its longevity. Glocks are known for their durability. I hope the little Ruger does as well. BTW, I have the G17, G19, G26 and had the G42 but sold it to get the LC9S Pro. I am not a Glock hater.
    Carry safe,
    Carry proud,
    Carry often!

I have the LC9 striker, but not the PRO model. I love the gun for carry, great size and excellent accuracy. I've put about 700 rounds through mine and haven't had any feed issues using a variety of ammo. However, I did send it back to Ruger after the first 200 rounds because the slide wouldn't lock open after the last shot; they paid both ways and it was returned in 6 days. I did add Talon grip tape (the rubberized version) and it did help getting a solid grip on the small frame. Based on my experience I would highly recommend the pistol for carry, and I would hope the PRO would be just as good (or better if you don't like the thumb safety).
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Glad to here yours is ok now. The mag in my gun was made in USA. I like you was waiting for the Glock single stack 9 now that it's out I think I'm going to sell the LC9 Pro when I get it back from Ruger and save the money for the new Glock 43. Sorry to say I lost all faith in the LC9 after sending back to different guns with different problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links