Primary carry weapon

This is a discussion on Primary carry weapon within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Beretta 96D on duty, H&K USPc off duty. Both .40 with 155gr JHP at 1200 fps. They're definately thumpers...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Primary carry weapon

Beretta 96D on duty, H&K USPc off duty. Both .40 with 155gr JHP at 1200 fps. They're definately thumpers

2. Remove Ads

G21;s&w5906

1. (90% of the time)-
    5" 1911 45ACP, which has been a stainless Kimber TLE II for the past year.
    Holster- Sparks Summer Special IWB until I wore it out recently (wore through at the muzzle). Now I'm using a BladeTech IWB, but hope to get another SS soon.
    Mag pouch- Horseshoe Leather (Andy Artoonian, England) double mag pouch.
    Mags- Wilson-Rogers as spares, Colt stainless in the gun because of it's flat baseplate.
    Ammo- CCI-Speer 230 grain Gold Dot.

2. When I don't think I can hide the 1911 as well as I'd like-
    Browning HiPower 9mm. I like either C&S safety levers but the newer Browning ambi is OK. I like Heinie sights on them.
    Holster- Sparks EX.
    Mag pouch- Sparks single.
    Ammo- CorBon 115 +P, but will be testing Winchester Ranger 127 very soon.

3. If I don't feel like I can hide the 1911 or BHP well, due to clothing or whatever reason-
    HK P7M8.
    I've had it for only about two years. I find it an easy gun to shoot very well with. I have shot it less than the others, but shoot it as well as anything I've ever had- especially at speed. When I carry it I feel well-armed, and have carried it when i could carry something "bigger".
    Holster- BladeTech for IWB, Alessi CQC/S otherwise. I love that CQC/S. I wish I had one for each pistol I own, whether I ever carry them or not.
    Mag pouch- Comp-Tac singles (2), and a home-made mag pouch for pocket use.
    Ammo- Same as the HiPowers. CorBon 115 +P, but will try the Winchester Ranger 127 soon.

4. Backup/Spare/Loan-to-the-wife gun (always there regardless of what else is the "main" gun)-
    Kahr PM9 Covert 9mm in pocket holster. Ammo same as the other 9mms.

When we got married, my wife and I bought a house that had an old barn on the property. I put a backstop and ventilation in that barn and had an indoor range. I could, and did, shoot nearly everyday.
    That's when the carry gun experimenting took off.

I traded for and shot a lot of stuff. I broke a lot of stuff, too. I found out what I liked and didn't like, what felt good and bad, what broke and what (generally) didn't, etc.

Most important- I learned the difference between an accurate gun and an easy-to-hit-with gun.

I went though 1911s of different makes and sizes, HK USP 40, USP 45, Browning HiPowers, Glocks(in 9mm, 40, 10mm, and 45), Berettas, Sig P220, 225, 226, 228, 229, and 239 (in 9mm, 40, 357Sig, and 45), CZ 75s, a Star, Rugers, and Walthers.

I ended up with 1911, HiPower, and P7M8; and the Kahr as backup. I didn't get the P7 or Kahr until after we had moved from there, but I've shot the P7 a lot, and the Kahr a good bit. I'm happy with that group.

Red face

Kimber Eclipse Pro II (1911 .45 in 4in.) in a Galco Scout IWB. Usually don't carry extra mags, figure 8 shots can at least get me back to the truck! Having said that, it would really depend on the "area" I was in whether I'd stick a couple extra mags in the pocket.

I carry a 45 ACP Wilson Combat CQB Compact (Commander size) year round. On occasion if I need deeper concealment I go with a Springfield Micro Compact (Officer ACP size)

During heavy clothing times, it's a full sized Kimber Custom. Other times, I tend to go between a Colt officers, a Glock 23 or a Ruger SP101 in .357. Lately, the 3" Ruger SP101 has seen more holster time than any of the others...you hardly know it's there while having enough weight to make you feel warm inside.

I'm happy with my Sig 226. It's served me well for a long time, and will continue to.

Primary is a Glock 30, S&W 640 .357 serves as backup.

Primary is now a Ruger Security Six. Finding I prefer a revolver over the automatic for carry. A bit more difficult to conceal at times, but I like the reliability and comfort of that gun. Carry a .32 BUG when I think it is required.

Assistant Administrator
    Another call here for SIG 226 - I added CT grips and this is perhaps the best carry piece I have yet used. It's also gonna do my IDPA this year, unless the BHP comes out again.

Mind you when clothing gets light later on, probably SP-101 will be back on duty.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Another call here for SIG 226 - I added CT grips and this is perhaps the best carry piece I have yet used.
    Now that's a nice looking gun. I really do like Sig even though I sold mine. I had a P226 in .40 and I loved to shoot it. Accurate and reliable but I could not conceal it on me for some damned reason....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Assistant Administrator
    Bumper - you shoulda just gotten a bigger shirt
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You guys are off the chain. A Smith and Wesson 642. That's it.

I'm not cool enough to hang out with this crowd... sheesh.

Have carried a lot of different handguns concealed over the years,from 6" 357 mags. to full size 45s to pocket guns, to what I call last chance guns.

In truth, I always chose to carry the largest caliber possible considering the type clothingmbeing worn. (It's tough to conceal a 44 Mag under a T Shirt and shorts when the temperature is in the high 90s.

I tend to carry my S&W mod 649 357 2" ( actually 2 1/8" ) a lot under these conditions, but whenever conditions permit or I am going to the big city of Tampa, I always reach for my Para LDA 4" 45. Sometimes these are carried in IWB rigs and sometimes just tucked in waistband for a lower profile look.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    You guys are off the chain. A Smith and Wesson 642. That's it.

I'm not cool enough to hang out with this crowd... sheesh.
    Although it’s not my primary carry weapon, I do on occasion carry a S&W 642. It’s a great coat pocket or even pants pocket gun. In a holster, of course.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links