Why *NOT* buy a Kahr?

This is a discussion on Why *NOT* buy a Kahr? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm just about ready to buy a NIB 9mm. Kahr K9 Elite (polished stainless) as my primary CCW. I don't want bigger and can't go ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why *NOT* buy a Kahr?

Why *NOT* buy a Kahr?

I'm just about ready to buy a NIB 9mm. Kahr K9 Elite (polished stainless) as my primary CCW. I don't want bigger and can't go much smaller as I have large hands. (Don't think I could ever get used to a two finger grip).

So, why shouldn't I buy the Kahr? Got any better ideas? If so, what are they and why?

2. Remove Ads

Used kahrs dont hold resale value like other brands. But thats the only thing I can think of.

I can't tell you why not to buy it. I love my Kahr K40. No issues at all. Some of the poly- framed Kahrs have been known to have some problems here an there. I've not heard the same complaints with the all steel models. I like the size, feel, weight, basically everything about my Kahr. Might get a 9mm model one day as well.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I certainly can't give you a reason not to, really. If I wouldn't of bought my PM9, I'ld still EDC my Glock 26. My Kahr's thinner, shorter, & packs more power than my S&W442, so what's not to like?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Sig P239 SAS?

If I read your post correctly you are looking for possible 9mm alternatives to the Kahr K9 elite. The alternative that comes to mind is the Sig P239 SAS with the double action only DAK trigger. The gun is slightly larger than the Kahr, but not very much. It has a single stack 8 round magazine and a 7 pound trigger pull on every shot. It also has some nice features for CCW, such as a melt treatment on the slide and a night sight on the front.

I don't have one but I like Sigs in general for reliability and accuracy, and this is a very sharp looking gun:

I'm going to agree with Pogo2-
    That Sig P239 SAS is a good looking gun.

Now, since I am still shopping for my first hand gun, I would like to ask a tangent (and perhaps stupid) question about the very nice looking wooden stock.

Is there ANY FUNCTIONAL reason to consider a wooden stock or is it purely an asthaetic preference?
    "Luck is the point where opportunity and preparedness meet."

I can't tell you why not to buy a Kahr. I love mine and the factory has been real good about "issues" that have come up, like ordering the wrong sights for it.

Dottie at Kahr over-nighted a set of Night-sights to me after I told her of MY error and trusted me to ship the other set to her. If and when I need another Kahr type weapon I will gladly purchase it.

To me my Kahr is a "niche" weapon for a selected purpose.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I wouldn't buy one. They don't seem like much gun for the money to me. If I were going to buy a single-stack little gun it would be a compact 1911.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Wooden grips on handgun

Quote Originally Posted by Strych-9 View Post
    Is there ANY FUNCTIONAL reason to consider a wooden stock or is it purely an aesthetic preference?
    I suppose that tradition and good looks are two major reasons for wood grips on a handgun. But I also like wood grips because they feel good in my hand and don't tend to "grab" at a CCW cover garment the way rubber grips often do.

These days with all the polymer frame guns on the market, the number of guns that allow the option of wood grips seems to be decreasing. But it is still fun to order fancy wood grips for your gun, put them on and look at them. Two weeks ago I got some new Badger walnut grips for my S&W model 66 snubby, and I am still admiring them:

That's A Different Perspective...

I have never had to ask myself why I shouldn't buy a weapon (that I already liked)...

I tend to have a number of reasons why I should buy...just one more gun!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I wouldn't get a Kahr for two reasons.

1) I'm not a super fan of DAO (or hammerless) handguns. It's merely a personal preference.

2) Even though I've read good things (on this site) about their customer support. I've also read a few threads where people had to take it back because several trips to the factory didn't fix it. With that being said, I'm sure many (or probably most) Kahr owners don't have a problem, but the first impression is usually the big one.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

any suggestions for a great looking set of replacement grips/stock for the K9? pictures are helpful, you know?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Opinions, we all have them

So here's mine, if you like it, buy it....the good?

1. thin for concealment
    2. no controls except slide release and it's DAO, for a truly defensive personal CCW you can't do better than DAO with no controls. You point and shoot period.
    3. Kahrs have outstanding triggers out of the box
    4. They have a reputation for excellent accuracy
    5. They nearly as reliable as S&W revolvers, more reliable than the average 1911 out of the Box and nipping on the heals of the Glocks and Sigs.

Bad...
    1. Not cheap

And like any gun you can get a bad one. As far as resalve value I'd say that's a non-issue. How many of us buy and trade guns as any kind of investment?

The only other thing I'd say about your choice is it is a heavy weapon but it's a high quality weapong. The sig is better but I think thickness is a big deal in how comfortable carry is for long periods.

God Bless
    Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I suppose that tradition and good looks are two major reasons for wood grips on a handgun. But I also like wood grips because they feel good in my hand and don't tend to "grab" at a CCW cover garment the way rubber grips often do.

These days with all the polymer frame guns on the market, the number of guns that allow the option of wood grips seems to be decreasing. But it is still fun to order fancy wood grips for your gun, put them on and look at them. Two weeks ago I got some new Badger walnut grips for my S&W model 66 snubby, and I am still admiring them:

Pogo2-
    Your response and opinion are both greatly appreciated, and I really like the look of your S&W snubby. But the ultra smooth and polished look of the snubby begs the next question...
    Does it ever feel slippery in the hand?
    And the first thing that comes to mind with the wooden stock or grips is, if the weapon is dropped, isn't there a greater chance for damage to the wood than other materials? (I know; nobody ever drops their hand gun, right?)
    "Luck is the point where opportunity and preparedness meet."

Administrator
    I got a reason why you shouldnt... you other carry guns will get upset because the will never leave the safe.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links