hello to all i need some advice

This is a discussion on hello to all i need some advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello to all, im pleased to find a site that is dedicated to personal carry and very respectful to those serving, im a 63 bravo,us ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hello to all i need some advice

Smile hello to all i need some advice

hello to all, im pleased to find a site that is dedicated to personal carry and very respectful to those serving, im a 63 bravo,us army , mechanic,back from iraq after a year tour, and just checking in to say hello, and have a few questions i have a Springfield 1911 GI and i have questions about it as my concealed carry weapon,i hope im not off topic , what is required of such a weapon for concealed carry, what should i do to it, the color may not suite it for carry its od green, i have made some changes already but most cosmetic hammer,sear,and trigger from wilson combat but i want to know what to do to it to make it my carry firearm, im letting my wife carry the G30 here is a picture of it, the grips are not my carry grips i have Crimson trace laser grips , but i do love those grips in pic , thanks for the help in advance thanks and god bless hooah
    Attached Images
    Last edited by datruthab123; February 16th, 2007 at 09:54 AM. Reason: mispelling

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    First off thanks for your service .

Now as to 1911s go you might lightly polish ( not grind or change angles ) the feed ramp on the frame and barrel for reliability. Have a smith clean up ( but not lighten ) the trigger pull . Other than that sights you can see and safety(s) you can quickly reliably manipulate are all they really need . The rest is what i call mudflaps and chrome .. may look good but doesnt do much for preformance in a carry gun lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

i'd leave the gun the way it is, seems menacing

and thanks for the whole "going to iraq" thing, we appreciate that around here.

VIP Member
    Welcome back, datruth, and thanks for your service. RR has covered the basics; I would just add that, IMO, the OD green isn't a big deal as far as a CCW weapon. The "Punisher" grips, on the other hand, could be used in the courtroom aftermath of an otherwise justified shooting to paint you as some sort of vigilante nut job just looking to plug somebody full of .45 cal holes. Of course, you stated that those aren't your carry grips, so my point is basically moot, but it's something to consider.

All that being said, I think they look pretty cool on you 1911! Again, welcome back and welcome to the forum.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Welcome home!!! Great choice in a carry pistol. All I can recommend is get a carry permit, good gun belt and holster and train often.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

which sights to get looking for good solid night and day sights carry and maybe idpa?

which sights to get looking for good solid night and day sights carry and maybe idpa, need all the practice i can get.

Assistant Administrator
    Let me just add my

And thank you for your service.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

have the carry permit,for about three years now, which holster

have the carry permit,for about three years now, which holster?

Welcome to the forum

Welcome home, and thank you for your service.
    Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

VIP Member
    Welcome home soldier!

...and welcome to the forum!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Thank you for your service. Your gun looks good too. I have a OD green glock 27 and love the OD color. It is diffrent and it looks cool too.

it depends on how you wld like to carry. there is holster rig, kydex, IWB, OWB, and there are also lots of great great great holster makers on this site. There is also a tab up top that say "Holster Source" click on tht and a bunch of links come up for holsters. All I can say is look around and narrow it down to 2 or 3 and ask us what we thing. Nine times out of ten someone on here owns or had owned the holster. Good luck
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Welcome back and thanks for serving from a vet! Also welcome to the forum.

Nothing wrong with the OD Green color, carry a Springfield the same color myself. The GI series will usually benefit from a gunsmith tuning up the trigger a little bit and the feed ramp polish is a great idea as well. Then it's off to the range for practice!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Welcome here and home. Here is a bit of a guide for selecting a holster I typed up on another forum. It is just the basics but might help.

Here are the main points:
    Good holster
    Good belt
    Reliable ammo
    Reliable magazines
    Good mindset

Here is the link:

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....hreadid=570144
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Welcome back and thanks for your service, and welcome to the Forum. I currently carry a bone stock Springfield 1911A1 GI as my every day carry weapon. The color shouldn't matter, although you might want to change the grips. As far as holsters, most around here go for strong side hip holsters, either inside the waistband (IWB) or outside the waistband (OWB), and made from either kydex or leather. I carry mine in a Crossbreed Supertuck, although there are tons of skilled craftsmen on this board that can make you a good holster, belt, and mag carrier. Just make sure any mods you make to the weapon don't make it any less reliable.

Heres a pic of my rig
    Attached Images
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Welcome home! Great looking Springer, grips and all.
    str1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links