Springfield XD SubCompact 9 or .40

This is a discussion on Springfield XD SubCompact 9 or .40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all, I am not looking to start the whole caliber arguement AGAIN. What I am looking for are opinions of people who have ...

Thread: Springfield XD SubCompact 9 or .40

Springfield XD SubCompact 9 or .40

First of all, I am not looking to start the whole caliber arguement AGAIN. What I am looking for are opinions of people who have fired both or one and can tell me what the recoil is like. I have fired several 9mm and several .45s but I have never fired anythin in .40. Can anyone describe it to me? Thanks all.
    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    --Thomas Paine December 19, 1776

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
    --Abraham Lincoln

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/13226.htm

2. Remove Ads

For me .40 caliber is snappy, I don't have a .40 subcompact though, only fullsize.
    9mm is no problem for most shooters in any size gun.

I agree with the .40 being snappy. I have a P2000sk in .40 and I wish I had it in 9mm. I have no problem with larger .40s. If you intend on shooting it a lot then I would rent or borrow a XDC .40 and see how you like it.
    -Biker

VIP Member
    The recoil in my G23 is noticeably "sharper" than in my G19, though neither is anything approaching unmanageable. I would imagine that this difference would be about the same on these XDs, but I have no first hand experience with them.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I think the recoil is sharper on a 40S&W than a 9mm or even a .45. I experience more "Snap" and muzzle rise with .40 or .357sig while a .45acp pushes the gun back into my palm with a "whump." Some of you may think I'm crazy for that onomatopoeia.

Specifically- I like the XD's overall and have shot the 4" service model and the subcompact .40 but not a 9mm. The 4" was just fine and similar to my Sig229. I completely hated the subcompact. It had alot of muzzle flip and follow up shots were terrible. The recoil was harder than any .40 I've fired.

If you're looking for a subcompact .40 I would recommend Glock27.

Recoil is largely subjective and comparative.
    to me, 9 snaps or jumps, .45 Pushes, and .40 is a great place in between.

I'd love the ability to shoot 9 and .40 in the same gun so I'd buy the .40, an after market barrel and mag, and be real happy at cheaper trigger practice combined with the balistics of the .40 for SD.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

I had the XD40sc and loved it. Is it a perfect weapon? No...but none are objectively perfect. Now, subjective perfection is another matter altogether...

I shot the XD40sc very well. Yes, it had a little more snap than my 1911...but... I think the XD40sc is a great weapon. I never had any problems. I found follow-ups to be fine and it was mechanically very accurate... In my hands, the XD40sc was simply a more effective tool than the Gen1 Glock 22 in every respect except capacity.

To me, the only things to recommend the 9mm over the .40S&W are:

1) Which do you prefer to shoot? (Yes, shoot both!)
    2) Compare ammo costs in your area... Are they different enough that you won' shoot the .40S&W much, but you would shoot the 9mm quite a bit? (Practice makes perfect!)

Why did I get rid of it? Wife. She wanted to shoot and she hated .40S&W and .45ACP. So...I now have a Glock 26 (9mm). I don't find much difference in recoil in the small guns between hot 9mm and .40S&W.

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

If you are going to buy an X-D buy the 40cal. I say this because you can change out the barrel to the 9mm if you want later. I have a service 40cal and recently got an after market barrel in 9mm. I shoot a lot so paying 80.00 for 1000 rounds of 9mm is better than 160.00 for the 40cal. I love my X-D and would not get rid of it for anything. Hope this helps.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

ok, the 40 cal to "me" is not much more than the 9mm. it does not matter the cal "just carry something"!!!!. i have packed a 22lr, 25 acp and bigger on the job (uc work). so,,,, carry a gun that you can shoot, and a gun that will be on you at all times. not in the car and/or at home.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    The recoil in my G23 is noticeably "sharper" than in my G19, though neither is anything approaching unmanageable. I would imagine that this difference would be about the same on these XDs, but I have no first hand experience with them.
    I totally agree with this. My G23 is a much bigger recoil then my G19 and my XD45. I have been over the last year getting rid of my .40's and switching to 9mm. I will keep my G23 though.

I have shot both a XD9mmsc and a XD40. I could not tell much difference in the recoil. I carry a XD40, because thats what I prefer and fill comfortable shooting. My suggestion is find a gun that fits you and you fill comfortable with and carry it.

It's better to have it and not need it, Than to need it and not have it
    "Its's better to have it and not need it, Than to need it and not have it"
    [I]Steve-o

I got the xd40sc and love it. I have never had a problem shooting it (actually seem to be pretty accurate with it) and recoil is not a problem for me, but then again I'm relatively large.

So far I've never had a ftf or any other problems. Follow up shots seem to be just fine. Never had a double tap that missed at 10 yards which will work just fine for me :)

By the way I'm no expert shot. I shoot better than most of my friends and most people I see shoot, but am not great by any means.

I have never shot the 9 mil xd. I prefer the larger calibers (not trying to start a debate here, just me...). The only 9 I have shot before was the beretta which I did not like.

As always... YMMV

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    9mm ammo is cheaper, thus you might be inclined to shoot more. I'd go 9mm for that reason.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    9mm ammo is cheaper, thus you might be inclined to shoot more. I'd go 9mm for that reason.
    .40 ammo seems to be cheap to me after buying so much .45

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    I have the XD SC .40 and I think it is great. It is snappy and it took some getting used to. My main experience with hand guns was the M9. It handled totally differently. I am 5’8” so not a big guy but I can double tap and do some fairly rapid fire with the .40. My only complaint about the XD is that I am not impressed with the factory sights. I have been thinking of getting the XD compact in 9mm, as I can get 9mm for $18 a hundred compared to $21 for 100 in the .40. That and I can use my same holsters for carry. You might check out the XD talk form. I have no doubt that there are a number of people that have both weapons and can give you a better idea on there capabilities then I can. Whatever you decide the XD is a great handgun I am very satisfied with it.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Links