Question on Sig Pistols

Question on Sig Pistols

This is a discussion on Question on Sig Pistols within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well it finally came in the mail today, my long awaited first Sig pistol, a beautiful P232SL. Before I go further let me say I ...

Thread: Question on Sig Pistols

Question on Sig Pistols

Well it finally came in the mail today, my long awaited first Sig pistol, a beautiful P232SL. Before I go further let me say I purchased this from a fellow forum member named MarkSteveND. This was my first internet transaction and he made it very easy and the gun is exactly as he described. Now for the questions.
    I am use to the slide release/decocker on a Berreta, as well as the slide release on my Glock. When the last round is fired, you can't simply hit the decocker and the slide will close and the hammer fall safetly. This cannot be done on the P232, I must drop the magazine and then pull the slide back and it will go into battery. So the decocker is just that a decocker and not a slide release. Is this the same on all sig pistols? The other thing I am not happy with is the factory night sites. I didn't need or particulary want night sites but having them just made the deal better. In day light the dots are very light and difficult to acquire. Haven't tried them at night yet, but during the day time I really had to concentrate on locating the sights. This may sound crazy to some of you but I may switch these with another night site in a color or to a regular site. I know this is not a target pistol for 500 round range sessions, but it isn't a negative to shoot either. Actually I found the gun to be very accurate. One of the benefits of being able to shoot right out your back door is you can try a gun out as soon as you get it. Just a few mags of informal plinking allowed me to hit a pop can at about 25 ft with every shot. Follow up shots are a little slow due to poor site visibility. If all Sig Pistols function this way with the decocker not acting as a slide release this may be my last Sig. So let's here it from some of you Sig gurus.
    Thanks
    Kevin
    Last edited by NCHornet; February 17th, 2007 at 05:40 AM.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Congrats on your new Sig. I too have a p232, but am used to the function on my Beretta (which is the gun I shoot the most). From the other Sig's I've handled in the stores, as you move up in caliber, the function tends to become more of what you are used to.

Have fun shooting. The P232 is a fun little gun. That's actually the gun I used for my CCW training class, and it ate up everything I had to put it through.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

I have a Sig 232 in blued, I chose it as it's lighter in weight. I have the night sights and they are very easy to acquire.
    I'm guessing your sights are SL and so there isn't the contrast that I have between the black sight and the light dots?

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    If all Sig Pistols function this way with the decocker not acting as a slide release this may be my last Glock.
    i don't understand what you're saying here ...

as far as using the "decocker" as a slide release, just read that sentence again. use the decocker as a decocker, and the slide release as a slide release. that way, you're "used to" the same thing no matter what pistol you're picking up (for the most part).

nice gun. shoot it, break it in. get to known your gun. have fun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Sig P232 doesn't have a slide release

The Sig P232 doesn't have a slide release - it locks back after the last round fired, and you have to drop the magazine and manually "slingshot" the slide to make it go forward. It is similar to the Walther PPK in this regard. Many smaller semiautos work in this fashion. All the larger P-series Sigs have slide release levers on the left side, near the grip. If you look at the pictures below of the P232 and the P239 you will see what I mean.

Night sights only work in a dark environment - during the day their glow is not visible due to bright ambient light.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Everyone's pretty much answered your sig decocker question.

As to the night sights, it depends on the ones you get. You can get night sights that have a large "dot" or thick white circle around the tritium part of the front sight. I prefer that & it's what I had on my Glock 21, with a ghost ring rear sight. Standard night sights are harder to see during the day.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I know Meprolight sites are in bright colors to be seen better in daylight. I might look at a set of these for this pistol. It shoots great, but the fact of not having a slide release is going to take some getting use to.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    The Sig P232 doesn't have a slide release - it locks back after the last round fired, and you have to drop the magazine and manually "slingshot" the slide to make it go forward. It is similar to the Walther PPK in this regard. Many smaller semiautos work in this fashion. All the larger P-series Sigs have slide release levers on the left side, near the grip. If you look at the pictures below of the P232 and the P239 you will see what I mean.
    my apologies for my ignorance honestly, i haven't used a slide release in years.

Yep the 232 is a little different than all of the other Sigs. And having to drop the mag to release the slide a annoying. I still like it for a medium sized gun (I just call anything bigger than that a large handgun). The only thing I didn't like about it was the absense of a slide release.

I got to fire a Sig 232 side by side with a Bersa Thunder 380. I would still buy the Sig over the Bersa, but the slide and mag release on the Bersa are more user friendly. Both were accurate with little recoil. The Bersa had less recoil, but it weighed more and was a little thicker.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Links