45 ACP A Expert Gun Only

This is a discussion on 45 ACP A Expert Gun Only within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have heard this and read it a couple of times lately that you should only choose a 45 acp if you are a expert ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 ACP A Expert Gun Only

45 ACP A Expert Gun Only

I have heard this and read it a couple of times lately that you should only choose a 45 acp if you are a expert with guns.

In one of the books the book was old enough and did say 45acp as in 1911 style.. But the newerbook said 45's in general becuse of the recoil equalling 357 mag they are hard to shoot..

Huh Did i miss something or am i more recoil tolerant than the next guy i dont then my 5" 1911 recoils anywhere near my 4" or 6" 357 mag.

Then i heard this in the gun shop the other day (not one i frequent) Where the Dim bulb behind the counter was trying to disuade the Customer from buying a 1911 loaded becuse the 1911 is a expert gun only and recoil is harsh..

Gun told him he wasnt going to back it that he carryed a 5 shot smith but wanted it to pratice and shoot some bowling pin matchs.

Finally he disuaded the guy from buying it and i saw him yesterday at gun shop i use the most buying a 1911 there..

So what do you think is a 45 a expert gun only again this was a blanket statement to cover glock's Hk's Rugers and anyother 45 auto .. I say no unless it is a 1911 then you should have more pratice training with it but still not a expert only gun ...

1911's I have 3 of them working on 4th not sure if im a expert either so what say yea

Guess i should take back the G-36 i bought yesterday if i believe these people huh :fce32f95:
    Last edited by Bud White; February 22nd, 2005 at 10:26 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Smile 45 for experts

Well I guess a man(woman) has got to know his (her) limitations. It seems that we've been hearing how archaic the 1911 is, and how it is so hard to shoot well. Yet everytime someone needs a good raliable pistol there is a 1911 at hand. I think alot of this comes from the military and 15 hours of familiarization. Clint Smith advised once that berfore we had high capacity guns, our hit ratio was 95% afterwards it was 35%. Maybe people that are going carry a firearm need to learn to use it. That is not said to put anyone down that carries a high capacity firearm. There are a lot people who carry glocks, sigs, berettas, etc. that do extremely well. Maybe if I give you my thoughts on training it will make sense. Even in my CCW class I tell my students that the Concealed Weapons class is their first step, and that if it were up to me the CCW class would be a 40 hour class. People who claim that the 1911 is an expert's gun should learn more about them like any other firearm they are carrying. :1syellow1

DC Founder
    Well, I think that continuously knock the 1911 are those that have either never used one for any length of time or they sell some other brand of gun. I have loved 1911's for over 30 years.

People that think they are an "experts" gun is blowing smoke or showing their ignorance. I took my 20 year old son and 21 year old daughter (along with her fiance) and all three of them preferred the 1911 to a Sig P226, a Glock 30 and a S&W 5904. After I traded the Glock for A Springfield XD-40 and we went again, they still preferred the 1911. And, between the 4" and 5" 1911, they all preferred the 5".
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I've found it hard to find a well made 1911 because of the short round, but once found I've found no other caliber to give such puch and accuracy. I think those that are persuading towards other guns just haven't had a good 1911.

Baloney!!

Sold many 1911s to first or second time gun buyers. Never had problems. Lots of good guns out there in Colt, SA, and others. All worked right out ot the box.

Found the ladies had an easier time with the 1911s than with K frome S&Ws. for the gals, thin grips, and perhaps a reduced grip. Short trigger. Recoil did not seem to bother the gals at all.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Having recently purchased my first .45- a Glock G36, I must say I don't find this caliber to be any more difficult to handle than any of the 9mm's, etc. that I've shot in the past....I'm very comfortable with it.
    "Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice; ammo is cheap, life is expensive."

If it was only for experts the military wouldn't have had them for very long. "Joe" is hard on equipment. They are a good design, easy to maintain and reliable in the field.

I loved my 1911 when I was in the service. It was old, it was worn, nothing matched, but it worked.
    People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to violence on their behalf.

Lead Moderator
    My GF bought a 1911 para. Everyone at the gun shop was telling her how much recoil it was gonna have. Yea right. I think lots of hollyweird hype get people believing lots of foolsih stuff. As for the expert only status, i can see compared to a wheel gun a .45 would seem more difficult to master as far as operation.

1952 - 2006
    I think this "Expert" tag comes from the idea of carrying a condition one (cocked and locked) 1911. In the hands of an inexperienced shooter it could cause him problems with a potential for negligent discharge.

As far as recoil I also believe that comes from old Army grunts who couldn't hit the side of a barn with it, mostly due to a lack of training, worn out guns, and very inadequate sights.

I find the 45 to be extremely controlable in recoil as do most people who truly understand the weapon.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Having previously fired only 9mm, I felt no greater recoil in .45 ACP in both a 1911A1 and a Glock 21. I don't consider myself an expert shooter, but I am as accurate with a .45 as with a 9mm.

My wife fires a 1911 Para SSP and would not shoot anything else. She absolutely loves it. We only shoot 1911's and I think they are the easiest pistol to shoot accurately as well as quickly so I am quite biased towards them. When I look to make future purchases, I only look to 1911 based platform pistols. Are they for Expert shooters, I do not think so. I think they are what fits me best. My natural point of aim is best with a 1911. When I do the closed eyes trick with a glock; the front sight is pointing way up in the air.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

The way I see it, I think (and this is my opinion only) that the 9mm and .40 kick more sharply than the .45 due to the higher chamber pressures and the low pressure of the 45 is more of a thud recoil versus the crack recoil of the 9mm and .40. Although there are great pistols out there chambered in both of these rounds I prefer the 1911 chambered in .45

~Andy
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    The way I see it, I think (and this is my opinion only) that the 9mm and .40 kick more sharply than the .45 due to the higher chamber pressures and the low pressure of the 45 is more of a thud recoil versus the crack recoil of the 9mm and .40. Although there are great pistols out there chambered in both of these rounds I prefer the 1911 chambered in .45

~Andy

I agree the 9mm and 40 have a crack whip of recoil compared to a 45 i can shoot a glock 17 very well in 9mm but not as well as my 45's and anyother fullsize 9mm i suck will 40's i suck with to 45 right on.. Must be why i have so many of them in 1911 or and platform of 45

It is funny I have given this advice to people and they have looked at me like I have 2 heads (above the waist line)

~A
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

VIP Member
    You know what opinions are like, and everybody's got one.

For me, the .45 has a softer felt recoil than an equivalent size/weight handgun in .40 or .357.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links