Problem with Taurus 357 Mag.

This is a discussion on Problem with Taurus 357 Mag. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Tauraus model 66 357 Mag. revolver. When the gun was new I was able to use 357 mag loads and 38 loads. ...

Thread: Problem with Taurus 357 Mag.

Problem with Taurus 357 Mag.

I have a Tauraus model 66 357 Mag. revolver. When the gun was new I was able to use 357 mag loads and 38 loads. For the last 200 rounds I have been using the 38 special round for target practice at the range. I tried to use the 357 mag. load now the bullet will not fit all the way in the chamber. I cleaned the chamber with Hoppes cleaner with a steel brush. Still unable to chamber the round. The 38 fits ok. What is wrong?
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

2. Remove Ads

Whenever you fire a round through a revolver it's going to deposit lead, fouling, and other crap on the inside wall of the chamber, unless its protected by the cartridge case. Because the .38 special round is shorter it won't protect as much of the chamber. If you only fire .38, this isn't really a problem. However, if you want to fire .357 magnum through there, these deposits roughen up the chamber enough that you won't be able to get a .357 in there. If it's just fouling more cleaning may solve the problem. If you've been firing unjacketed bullets, you may want to try some lead remover.

Edited to add:
    Some people, including John Farnam, maintain that firing too many .38 Special rounds through a .357 can actually cause spalling on the inside of the chamber, so that when you fire .357 magnums the cartridge case will expand into the spall ring and won't eject properly. Others say they've fired thousands of rounds of .38 Special through their .357 revolvers without ill effect. In any case, the problem you describe is with loading, while the spalling problem is supposed to cause poor ejection, but I thought I'd mention it.
    Last edited by Blackeagle; February 18th, 2007 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Addition

Thanks. I had no Idea there was that much lead and crap in the chamber! When I cleaned the Taurus I just ran a swab once or twice to clean the chamber and that was that. I just used the brass brush and scrubbed it about 50 times in each chamber and now each bullet just falls out. Thanks PG
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=18436

There is a thread I started a little while back about shooting .38's out of a .357, you might wanna take a look at it. It should just be buildup that you need to take the brush to and scrub out.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I am surprised that 200 rounds gunked up the cylinder enough, if the revolver is a 6 shot that is less than 30 rounds thru each cylinder, unless the cylinders weren't cleaned properly after previous shootings. If it did I suggest you change ammo to some cleaner burning stuff. I have fired thousands of 38's and my 357 shells still fall in and out. Could be tighter tollerances on some gun cylinders as well. Glad you got it working correctly.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I am surprised that 200 rounds gunked up the cylinder enough, if the revolver is a 6 shot that is less than 30 rounds thru each cylinder, unless the cylinders weren't cleaned properly after previous shootings. If it did I suggest you change ammo to some cleaner burning stuff. I have fired thousands of 38's and my 357 shells still fall in and out. Could be tighter tollerances on some gun cylinders as well. Glad you got it working correctly.
    It really depends on the ammo type.

I recently shot a box (50) of lead wadcutter handloads through my Taurus snubbie , and the fouling was enough that I noticed fired rounds wouldn't fall out by themselves.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

It certainly does depend on ammo you are shooting lead does build up faster

I just chuck up a nylon brush in the old cordless drill dip it in fav cleaning solution at the time spin it up run it in and out of each chamber couple times call it good

What kind of ammo was it??

Links