G23 Range Report. SHE'S A KEEPER!

This is a discussion on G23 Range Report. SHE'S A KEEPER! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; WOW. Why did I try to dislike Glocks again? What the hell was I thinking? OK, so the grip isn't my favorite in the gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G23 Range Report. SHE'S A KEEPER!

G23 Range Report. SHE'S A KEEPER!

WOW. Why did I try to dislike Glocks again? What the hell was I thinking?

OK, so the grip isn't my favorite in the gun world but it darn sure is growing on me, fast! In fact, one thing I noticed today and in my many, many practice sessions of drawing the gun from my carry holster is, the grip angle on the 23 may not be what I am used to but, it points more naturally than any other gun I own. Interesting.

Now, On th the range report.
    Ammo used was Winchester White box (100 rounds per box) 165 Grain full metal jacket ammo.
    I put 200 rounds through the G23 today and had one malfunction which was at round 123 while I was purposely limp wristing the gun. The empty brass of the round fired did not extract fully and caused the slide to jam. I pulled the slide fully to the rear and easily cleared the stoppage, then continued firing the rest of the magazine with no further problem. Other than that, there were no problems or hicups at all.

All rounds went right to point of aim. This gun is without doubt the most accurate gun right out of the box I have ever owned.

It threw brass with some authority straight to the right of the shooter and when I held the gun out into the range area so the brass would clear the partition between me and the next lane the empty brass made it approx. 12 feet from me before ever hitting the floor!

Both magazines fed well and dropped free when the mag release was hit. About the only gripe I can come up with here is that the 13th round is very hard to get into the magazine and when a fully charged magazine is inserted into the gun with the slide closed, it is very hard to get the magazine to click into place. There is a good bit of resistance to the fully charged mag being seated all the way into the gun. This will probably clear up with use but, even if it does not, it is something I can easily live with considering the accuracy this gun has.

I did forget to bring the digital camera along with us but I saved my best target and brought it home and took some pics to post. As I said, this is my best example of my shooting with the G23 today but none of them were much worse than this. I am not a bad shot but this gun makes me seem better than I am.

I put approx. 60 rounds of Remington Golden Saber through the gun as it is my preferred carry ammo and the gun gobbled it up without a hitch! I also had some old Hydrashock ammo laying about and took it, it like the Hydrashock ammo as well.

I am very impressed with my G23 and it is now my primary carry gun. Next on the list, it needs a little brother so the G27 is being saved for even now.

These photos are of a target that I shot 3 or 4 magazines through. Don't remember if it was 3 or 4 but every shot surprised me that it went right where I wanted it to. The flyers are my fault, not the gun.

Last edited by TN_Mike; February 18th, 2007 at 09:04 PM. Reason: addition
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Good shooting. My G23 & G27 perform the same way. I love them!

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    That's some decent shooting.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    I am very impressed with my G23 and it is now my primary carry gun. Next on the list, it needs a little brother so the G27 is being saved for even now.
    LOL! I hate to say it, well no I dont, but I TOLD YOU SO!

Glad you like the Glock, Welcome to the dark side.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My journey to the dark side is complete. Just call me Darth Glock.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Congratulations on the new Glock 23! A really good choice for a primary carry gun. Good shooting as well. With a bit of time that 13th round will load very easily. Now it's time for some Night Sights, and a Plug for the back channel (well, that's what I would do). I think your headed in the right direction for the Glock 27. The Glock 27 is also a great BUG. After all it uses the same magazines from the Glock 23.

Stay Safe!

Hey Cowboy, let me ask you this, I have seen the plug that you speak of for the back channel and I have always wondered, is it just for looks or does it serve a constructive purpose?

As far as night sights go, I'd like that. That might be in the near future for the 23.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Hey Sig P239, How long before we call you G-23 or Glock Vader? Just kidding. Did you notice the trigger guard biting into your middle finger knuckle? That was the only issue I had with my G19, But I remedied that with a dremmel.

You know from what I can see the plug doesn't serve any other function other than covering up that empty space. I've heard and read some people saying that it helps with reloading much like a Mag-well would but I've never seen that to be true. What I mean to say is that I, nor any one else I know who owns the Glock 23 has had any problems with that empty space, but for under $10.00 I think it's a good after market product even if it is just for aesthetic purposes. You've got some fun times ahead of you as far as adding little goodies to your Glock. Have fun, stay safe!

http://www.topglock.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    Hey Sig P239, How long before we call you G-23 or Glock Vader? Just kidding. Did you notice the trigger guard biting into your middle finger knuckle? That was the only issue I had with my G19, But I remedied that with a dremmel.
    I am resisting the urge to change my screen name again.

I did not notice the trigger guard biting into my finger. I had no problem with mine but if it did I figured I could remedy it with a file or dremmel.

Looking forward to all the fun with this gun. I do know that there is a plethora of parts, goods, gadgets and other stuff available for any Glock model out there. That is one very cool aspect of the Glock in general. If you think of anything you might want for the gun or to do to the gun, chances are someone makes it and it is for sale out there someplace.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Glad to hear you enjoy your new pistol.

As for the plug, people basically fall into 2 camps on this:

http://www.glockfaq.com/aftermarket.htm#plug

I do think it serves a valid purpose of keeping lint/dust out of the backstrap of a carry gun, as this material could conceivably make its way into the action (there is a hole leading up to the cruciform/striker lug area). However, one could also remedy this concern by frequent light cleaning, which of course should be done anyway.

It does also seem to reduce "hangups" when inserting a mag, where you can catch some of the sharp magazine edges on the semi-circular "hole" in the backstrap.

On the other hand, if your generation/model includes the scalloped cutouts in the front and rear of the mag well, plugging the backstrap can cause a problem for you if your magazine gets stuck and you need to forcefully rip it out with your fingers as you will no longer have a space to grasp with your thumb. Unfortunately, I believe these cutouts are no longer included in the current models, so that may be moot.

I suppose it might make it more difficult for water to drain out, too, if you were to dunk it.

Personally, I tried one in my G26 for a while. Since it popped out at the range (unbeknownst to me at the time), I have not been especially motivated to replace it.

Wrt the difficulty in loading full mags: this will probably soften up a bit with time and use, but if it still doesn't seat easily enough for your taste (which is a potential reliability problem with reloads under stress), lots of folks will download the spare mags by 1 or 2.

Administrator
    I like the glock plug because it keeps garbage out of that channel. We all know that carry guns tend to collect all sorts of things, and I havent had any problems stripping the mag out of the well.
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 18th, 2007 at 11:03 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    havent had any problems stripping the mag out of the well.
    Nor have I, but my concern is based in part on this:

http://www.defense-training.com/quip.../22July06.html

Glad you had a good time Mike, nice shooting there too! I'm really thinking about the Tru-Glo TFO nightsights for my G19 when it comes home, best of both worlds in daylight or night shooting.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    My journey to the dark side is complete. Just call me Darth Glock.
    Before your transformation is complete, you need to change your screen name and buy at least 2 - 3 other glocks.

Congrats on the the successful shooting of the 23. Good night sights, whatever you prefer ( I love the TruGlo TFO's) and the jentra plug are a minimum for the gun. Then a nice holster and mag pouch and you will be golden.

Congrats!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links