My First New Gun of 2007: Sig-Sauer P6 9mm

This is a discussion on My First New Gun of 2007: Sig-Sauer P6 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two weeks ago, I purchased a former West German police Sig-Sauer P6 through Gunbroker. Here she is: For those of you unfamilar with the P6, ...

View Poll Results: I got a "new" Sig-Sauer P6...should I get the following action enhancements:

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Action Enhancement Package, short trigger, and short trigger reset.

9 60.00%
  • DAK Conversion.

6 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First New Gun of 2007: Sig-Sauer P6 9mm

VIP Member

My First New Gun of 2007: Sig-Sauer P6 9mm

Two weeks ago, I purchased a former West German police Sig-Sauer P6 through Gunbroker.

Here she is:

For those of you unfamilar with the P6, it is a police-issued P225 single-stack 9mm pistol firing from a eight-round magazine.

The gun I purchased came only with one magazine (grrrr) but came with a German manual (unfortunately....meine Deustch ist nicht gut). The price was comparable to most you see on-line these days, expect for Aim Surplus ( www.aimsurplus.com ) who has them at the same price as I purchased mine, but with two magazines (ugh) or Dan's Sporting Goods ( www.dansammo.com ) who have them with two magazines and some extra items for just $25 more than what I purchased mine for.......oh well.

I picked up the gun this past Saturday from my favorite gun dealer, On-Point Firearms ( www.onpointfirearms.com ) in St. Petersburg, FL.

Upon opening the blue Sig-Sauer box, I found that my new acquisition has some wear spots on the slide, but looks in good shape; no rust or other corrosion spots, pitting, dents, or major scratches and no gouges at all.

I cleaned the gun today and found a gun that looked to be in great shape inside. This seemed to be a gun that was fired less than carried. I hope that to be true with I fire her.

Handling this gun is a joy. While the trigger is on the heavy side, the trigger is easier for me to reach than on my SIGARMS P229 duty-gun. This P6 will be a great training and "play" gun. Shame I can't carry her!

Anyhow, I have some crazy ideas as to what I want to do to my P6.....hear me out and let me know your feelings here.....I am sending the gun to SIGARMS to get "purdy'd up." At a minimum, I'm getting the SIG Service Plan ($99.95) done to my gun. It includes: Full disassembly of pistols down to frame and slide; complete detailed cleaning; expert factory inspection of all critical components; replacement of springs (recoil, slide catch lever, trigger bar, decocking lever); reassembly and lubrication to factory specifications; installation of SIGLITE® Factory Night Sights (!!!); function test; and date of manufacture certificate.

But, here is my dilemma. I'd like to get either the:

- Short trigger installation (and parts) for $74.95,
    - Short reset trigger, which "Reduces trigger reset travel by approximately 50%" and costs $99.95,
    - Action Enhancement Package (AEP), which includes the following: hone and polish critical surfaces and lighten and smooth both DA and SA trigger pulls for $149.95

OR

- DAK Conversion for $199.95

According to the nice customer service person I spoke to last week each of these custom jobs can be done on the P6! The question is which to go for....I'm debating getting a second P6 just so I can have one "DAK'd" out and the other with one with the AEP.

I also intend on having my P6 refinished. I may either go with getting the frame and slide redone in Sig's Nitron finish which will cost $169.95....or should I go another refinishing route? Anyone here like their Nitron'd Sig? Anyone not like it?

Anyhow, there you have it....now vote in my poll!
    Last edited by srfl; February 19th, 2007 at 02:03 AM.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Instead of voting for one or the other in the poll, I'm casting my for for sending a PM to CLASS3NH and getting his input on it. After all he works for SIG at Exeter.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I think George has a great idea there.

And honestly, unless you got that gun for a steal, it is awfully big for a single stack 9mm isn't it. My P239 is a single stand and I wish it was a double as I think the gun is the right size to be a double stack vs a single.

But hey, if you like that new gun, have some fun with it!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

As usual I am the odd man out. Why? I say shoot the pistol and then decide what it needs. Regards, Richard
    Last edited by srfl; February 20th, 2007 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Accidentally edited by adding text to ROF's post; meant to "Quote."

VIP Member
    It's no bigger than other single stack 9mm's made during that time frame (HK P9S, Walther P5, and S&W 39-2). Some other single stacks that were introduced at or around the same time are smaller, namely the HK P7.

I've fired a number of P239's (they and the P229 in .40 are issue guns for my agency...we also issued the 9mm P239's, P225's, and P228's previously).

I've never got into the P239 because, regardless of how I held any P239, the slide would go back into firing position after discharging the last round....in other words, the slide would not lock back....it didn't matter if I was curling my thumbs down or keeping them straight out or up. I know I was hitting the slide release.

I've never had that problem with my old duty P228, current P229, P225's I've fired, or my personal sig pro SP2340.
    Last edited by srfl; February 19th, 2007 at 07:08 PM.

Cant say good looking pistol though

Assistant Administrator
    Maybe DAK srfl - but I'd sure shoot the snot out of it before doing too much.
    CLASS3NH and getting his input on it. After all he works for SIG at Exeter.
    George - IIRC Bob is no longer with SIG. He could tho still add a useful 2c.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Of The Two...

Maybe the enhancement...but more likely...neither...learn to use the gun as it is...or get a stock gun that WILL do what you want it to do...comfortably!

I second the 'get training'...

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Maybe the enhancement...but more likely...neither...learn to use the gun as it is...or get a stock gun that WILL do what you want it to do...comfortably!

I second the 'get training'...

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    Ret.....I'm very familiar with "classic" Sig's since it's what I've carried for the past 2007....I also have a fair amount of familitarity with the P225....not so much with the DAK trigger, but I've fired a P229 DAK....I fell in love with the trigger pull and short reset of that system. Unfortunately, I can't carry my new plaything due to my LE agency regulations, so this gun will be one of many "play" guns.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    P95....I certainly will fire a bunch of rounds out of the gun....I don't send guns immediately to get work unless I fire a bunch of rounds out of it to insure the gun is sound....what I want done to it won't happen until the summertime or so.

Anyone with thoughts about Nitron? I'm not that familiar with it beyond it being Sig-variation of metal treatment a'la Tenifer.....I think.

P95....I certainly will fire a bunch of rounds out of the gun....I don't send guns immediately to get work unless I fire a bunch of rounds out of it to insure the gun is sound....what I want done to it won't happen until the summertime or so.

Anyone with thoughts about Nitron? I'm not that familiar with it beyond it being Sig-variation of metal treatment a'la Tenifer.....I think.

+1

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    As usual I am the odd man out. Why? I say shoot the pistol and then decide what it needs. Regards, Richard
    I've shot a few P225's....this one's trigger feels no different that the other's I've fired, hopefully, the barrel's good.....looks good though.

I too have a P6 (I wasn't going to get any more guns for a while, but for my first Sig I made an exception.) Right now it is at Sig for the $99 checkup/night sights and the AEP. I went with the AEP rather than DAK because my primary CCW gun is DA/SA. For extra mags, check out Top Gun Supply, he's got them cheaper than Sig does. If you want to spruce it up with wood grips, you can get them from Eagle Grips and Nills Grips.

srfl, the last I knew Stephen A Camp's wife used a Sig P225 for a house gun. My opinion is there are a lot of pistols I like better than Sigs but few I shoot better. Sigs have a long D/A but a superb S/A. Regards, Richard

PS Top Gun Supply is a great company to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post

George - IIRC Bob is no longer with SIG. He could tho still add a useful 2c.
    yup, you're right on that one Chris. I left Sig, due to the BS at the plant.. (try turning out 500+ guns per day and being required to work 60-72 hrs a week with no negotiations, or your "gone")
    Pertaining to your question, if you send the gun back, and have Tony's Custom Shop work on it, you'll come out with one OUSTANDING piece. I prefer the enhancment job, with the short trigger..
    BTW, just for an FYI, thru the grapevine, they (Sig) is now using cheaper springs and "mideastern area of the world" manufactured parts in the guns) the prices haven't fallen though.
    Keep an eye on the QC level when you're making a purchase Just a head's up.
    Last edited by CLASS3NH; February 20th, 2007 at 09:27 AM.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

That's some unsettling news, Class3. When would you say the quality started going downhill, as I am interested in getting a CPO 9mm P226?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links