Kimber Ultra CDP II, Who Has 1 ?

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra CDP II, Who Has 1 ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking of getting one, what do you all think of yours.? ( Actually this thread is just to keep me entertained until my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Ultra CDP II, Who Has 1 ?

Kimber Ultra CDP II, Who Has 1 ?

I am thinking of getting one, what do you all think of yours.?

( Actually this thread is just to keep me entertained until my gun shop gets one in )
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I have a Pro CDP, I like it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I prefer the series I over II myself but they are nice handguns.
    I sent mine off to get the MIM parts off and some "enhancing" done and it is a nice reliable carry piece.

I have one. It's only got 500 rounds through it, so I'm not sure if it's broken in yet. It's had about a dozen FTFs (Wilson mags), with all but one coming in the first 300 rounds. Some can attributed to me trying different things with my grip. I'm very impressed with how accurate this little gun is.

CDP II's?

I have two, the Pro CDP II and my EDC the Ultra CDP II...you will absolutely love the Ultra for CCW. They are both great guns and I have had no problems with either...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have the Ultra Carry II in stainless and it works just fine. Only have about 500 rounds through it.
    NRA, GOA, SAF, JFPO

كافر | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ | WOLVERINES!

I love my Ultra CDP II. It's comfortable to carry and shoot, as well as quite accurate and reliable. I like the "carry melt" treatment and front strap checkering. The only change I've made is to put on some smooth grips, which helped comfort a lot when carrying IWB. The ones I'm using are elk antler in standard thickness.

I took a lot of care during the break-in period to and didn't find any issues. I ran over 500 rounds of Winchester White Box 230gr FMJ through it to begin with, then started testing defense loads. I've settled on Winchester Ranger SXT 230gr JHP, for effectiveness and value in a defensive load.

I use only Wilson Combat magazines. In the Ultra, it's model 47OX. I've swapped out the base plates for the thinner model to reduce the profile just a bit. I've never had a lick of trouble with a Wilson mag.

The night sights are very good, and I personally wanted the ambidextrous safety. My young bride is a lefty, and I wanted her to be able to handle it at need. Those who don't have that consideration often prefer not to have the ambi safety. It's never gotten in the way for me or had any tendency to hang up on anything.

An advantage of the 1911 platform is the broad array of top-quality holsters available. For IWB carry, I use a Tucker Answer, and have a Max Con V on order from Gary Brommeland. For OWB, I use Tucker's HF1. There are plenty of other good options from the excellent holster makers that frequent this site.

On the whole, I've been very pleased with the Ultra CDP II. It's my primary carry piece, and a good companion to my Kimber Desert Warrior, my primary home defense handgun. It's a very good option for you to consider.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Wow, Thanks!!!! Almost have me talked into one!!!

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I have the Ultra Carry and have really enjoyed it. It is a very accurate weapona and I only encountered problems with the stock Kimber mags. I have since changed to Chip McCormick mags and no problems whatsoever. I have 2000+ rounds through it and no problems since around 300. I changed out the stock grips and now have the Chip McCormick conceal carry grips. It is a great carry gun and extremely reliable.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

I have had the Ultra CDP II for 14 months and love, love, love it! No problems after 1700 rounds. Broke it in by the book.

Then I got a 5" Custom II and love it, too.

Some comparison thoughts:
    1. I am more accurate with the Custom II due to the increase in weight and longer sight radius. But, I am very accurate with the CDP II, so no complaint there.
    2. I have a holster on order from Milt Sparks for the new piece. The Sparks holster for the Ultra has become a part of my attire so I am barely physically aware of my carry. I also carry the Ultra on occasion in a pocket holster while wearing 5.11 Tactical pants.
    3. My wife has shot both guns. She has more difficulty racking the shorter slide. If she wanted to, though, with practice she'd get the hang of it.

Kimber Ultra CDP II is well worth it.

Kimber CDP concept

I believe Kimber has been selling their CDP line of guns very successfully for several years, and you have to think they are doing something right with this type of gun, as many people are buying them. I have the Pro CDP myself, and am very happy with it. I think the most unique features of the CDP line that make it so popular are:

1. The melted slide treatment, which makes it very smooth and snag free for CCW - it goes in and out of the holster easily.

2. The checkered frontstrap, which improves the grip and which many 1911s do not offer as standard.

3. The standard night sights, which cost extra on many competing 1911s.

4. The two tone, stainless over black aluminum color scheme set off with rosewood grip panels, making the gun very striking in appearance.

Although mine is a 4 inch Pro CDP, I would certainly consider the 3 inch Ultra CDP based on favorable comments by owners.

Have you seen the new Kimber RCP II ? Nice write up in Combat Handguns magazine [May 2007] Front cover and all. I am ordering mine Tuesday. I know lots of people that love the Ultra II.

i have a ultra cpd II i love it 15,000 rounds thru it shoot it better then any of the other 11 1911s i own/carry

i carry in a brommeland max con 5

i would buy again but would buy a pro cdp with the 4" barrel short grip my wilson cqb compact is 4" short officers grip and it is ideal carry but heavy

the kimber is great had issues with the POS mim parts but swapped them out have had zero issues

i did have 3 mim ambi safeties break and 2 ejectors but 1 was my fault used reg. length mags not officers and actually over inserted (gun ran for 500 more rounds never noticed until i cleaned her)

i will caution you be prepared to change recoil spring set up if you shoot a lot i carry a spare for range work

jd

What about just buying the Ultra, not the CDP. Is there any difference besides cosmetic. Nobody around here has the CDP model!!!

Administrator
    Nah, wait and get the CDP!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links