Taurus 1911 range report & Pics

This is a discussion on Taurus 1911 range report & Pics within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I finally had some time to get my newfamily member out to the range to put it through it's paces... well, a few paces ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 1911 range report & Pics

Well, I finally had some time to get my newfamily member out to the range to put it through it's paces... well, a few paces until I got cold.

I decided to take out the new Taurus along with my trusty old Beretta 92 to compare and contrast.

Accuracy is something I will definatly have to work on with the 1911. Compared to how I was shooting with my Beretta, the 1911 was almost embarassing. I chalk it up to new gun, new platform to me, and brand new gun with only a few rounds through it. I'm sure as I get used to it, and get another couple of hundred rounds through it to break it in, it will respond better to me.

Still a whole lot of fun to shoot. I don't know if I like it beteer than my Beretta, but at least "as much". Given some time, it may take over the top spot.

the gun performed pretty much flawlessly through 150 rounds. There were two glitches. First round didn't go all the way into battery on one of the mags, but that may have been my fault. Since one of my other guns is Sig P232 which has no slide release, I've gotten in the habbit of racking the slide to chamber the first round rather than just using the slide release. I may have released it sloppy, but it only happened once so no big deal. There other was the slide failed to stay open on the empty mag once. I didn't keep track of which mag it was, and it didn't happen again, so it may be part of the break in process.

Other than that, I can say the gun is definatly more accurate than I am, very friendly to shoot, and well worth the inexpensive price tag.

One thing I'm not sure about is when I was shooting, I kept getting hit the face with something. I think it may have been unburned powder, but I'm not sure. It happened a few times. I don't know if this is a problem, or if it is something I will have to get used to from the 1911 platform or Taurus ejection port design. It didn't hurt, but I definatly knew something was hitting me. Also, the edges of the ejection port are already getting dinged up a bit. I haven't seen that happen this quickly on any firearm I've owned, but again, for the price I can't complain to much.

Here are a few post range pics.
    Attached Images
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Very nice. I keep reading good things about the new PT1911. I'll probably have to get me one soon. I like companies that realize left handed people exist. :)
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I'm really looking forward to picking one up... I'm just waiting for the Stainless Steel version! Many of the die-hard 1911 guys will say that because it is a "Taurus", you should stay away, but for the price, how can you stay away?!?! It is loaded with all of the features of a $1000 gun.

I do have to admit that I am concerned about the long term wear and tear and if will it stand up to the test of time. But I think it should be okay...
    "Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger ..."

I've got one and could not be happier about 2500 rds thru it now and it keeps on tickin. The only mod I did was a set of VZ320 grips.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

VIP Member
    I'll likely get one myself....I saw a sweet custom PT-1911 at the 2007 SHOT Show.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Glad to hear the good report! I came across one of these guns a couple weeks ago and for that price it seems like agood deal but after reading a lot of good reviews it seems like a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryoung001 View Post
    First round didn't go all the way into battery on one of the mags, but that may have been my fault. Since one of my other guns is Sig P232 which has no slide release, I've gotten in the habbit of racking the slide to chamber the first round rather than just using the slide release.
    You should "slingshot" it, even with a slide stop lever.

I still say that anyone who bad mouths Taurus has not had much experience with most of their guns.

I own 5 Taurus guns, 3 .357 magnum revolvers and 2 semi autos. None have ever given me any problems. The PT-92 that I have is 18 years old and has many many thousands of rounds through it without so much has a feed jam. It goes bang every single time I take it out.

My PT-111 has also never given me a problem. And it is not the Pro model, the pre-Pro model that is supposedly the one with all the problems. But, it has many rounds through it and it also has never given me any problems.

I am sure there are Taurus guns out there that have been lemons for their owners. But there have also beed lemon Sigs, S&W, Glocks (I had one in 1992), Rugers...you name it. Everybody puts out a lemon now and then. It is the nature of mass production. Just ask Ford and Chevy and Dodge about that.

I would very much like to have a PT-1911. They look like good guns to me and I have yet to hear anyone say anything really bad about them. I think they are probably really good guns and a heck of a value for the price they charge.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I'll talk bad about Taurus, just to be fair. And I do own several.

My one and ONLY complaint, on a 945 I used to own, was that the safety would click off if it was barely touched. OK now that I got that off my chest...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I have a 101 that I have had for 12 years and 20K+ rounds, and have only had two minor problems with the gun.

With that kind of track record, I will gladly own another Taurus product, and this 1911 may just be the next one (also considering a .357 snubbie as well).

I have a blued PT1911. I consider it to be a great value. I have a SS model w/lightrail on order as well. I don't know anyone who has been dissapointed with theirs.
    str1

Does anyone know when the Stainless Steel Model is expected? I know it will be soon I just haven't been able to find an approximated date or general time frame.
    "Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger ..."

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Sounds good. I may have to check one out. Two thoughts about the "spray" you were experiencing: 1. Try some different ammo. It may be that it was not liking the particular brand you were using. 2. Probably needs some more rounds through it or a internal polish job.

Let us know as you continue to shoot it if the problem gets resolved.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

i have yet to see one in person. i do like what i have heard about them.
    Deer huntin' is a hole in the swamp where i spend my wife's money....

VIP Member
    That is one good looking 1911. I need to start avoiding these threads. I'm a Glocker, I don't need to start building a collection of 1911s, but I want one.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links