Should I do it- G23?

Should I do it- G23?

This is a discussion on Should I do it- G23? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello my gun loving friends! I'm looking for some help on a decision to buy- or not buy a Glock23. Some background. I have 2 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I do it- G23?

Should I do it- G23?

Hello my gun loving friends! I'm looking for some help on a decision to buy- or not buy a Glock23.

Some background. I have 2 1911's in .45 plus an EMP (compact 1911 in 9mm) a Sig220 and a Glock 19. The Glock is my regular carry gun and I have no complaints with it.

I have wished on a number of occasions that I would have got G23 so I would have the choice of calibers (9 or .40) for IPSC competition and to have a more potent round for defense.

I have been following the threads posted by Sig-239 and joined in the banter about his new Glock. I looked at Gunbroker and saw this customized G23 http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=66281487 and started drooling! So here's the question- Should I go for the custom Glock, or should I have some self control and be happy with what I have?
    Attached Images

Lead Moderator
    Are you kidding? asking a bunch gun owners if you should buy a gun? Of course you should!
    Besides, for a Glock , its down right handsome.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Well...

I'd say...
    Buy it!
    Buy it!
    Buy it!
    Buy it!
    Buy it!
    Buy it!
    Buy it!
    Buy it!
    Buy it!
    Buy it!
    Buy it!

Then after thinking about it...I'd buy it!

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Hmm, I say get a G23, but maybe not the blinged out ghetto fab gun on gun broker. Its not my thing, but it does look cool... I am always a little bit leary of a gun modified by some one else... then sold on the internet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Being a Glock armorer, alot of his prices for parts are somewhat inflated. Most of the 11.00 and 12.00 parts usually cost an armorer about 2.00 and 3.00 at most, some even less. The Hard Chroming and the stippling are worth the price he asks but some of the other things are not needed or can be had by you and installed by you. For instance, you don't need the maritime spring cups, the replacement guide rod and spring you could order from Wolff and install yourself. The titanium safety plunger and spring is not needed, the factory installed one is just fine the way it is as is the stock firing pin and internals.

This is what is worth paying for;
    Hardchromed slide, trigger pin, locking block pin and the slide lock lever $135.00

Cut front cocking serrations three per side $75.00

Contoured the nose of slide $75.00 (seems expensive but I personally like it)

Frame work and stippling includes magazine floor plates, trigger and magwell cut outs $135.00

Trijicon Night Sights $85.00

For what it is worth, I just bought a Glock 27 with a similiar frame customization from Heritage Firearms and I paid 450.00 for the gun (used) which had night sights. Here is a pic;

For what it is worth, I have been teaching firearms for the past 14 years and front cocking serrations look nice but are not very functional. You would never want to get your hand that close to the muzzle of a loaded weapon. Years ago we used to teach "press checks" by applying pressure to the forward portion of the slide. Now we still teach them but instead of pulling the front of the slide back, we teach to grip the rear portion where the cocking serrations are already located and just pull the slide back a bit. This way your hand is well away from the muzzle.

I hope this helps, just my .02 worth.
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

If you want the information for Heritage Firearms, shoot me a PM or E-mail. Tom Snell is the owner and you deal directly with him, he is just about one of the nicest guys that I have met.
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

Administrator
    I cant say I disagree with estimber, he brings up some excellent points worth considering.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I personally would not buy the pistol you mentioned, as (like SIXTO) I am wary of guns modified by other people, especially with such an extreme set of modifications. Besides, many of these mods may or may not even be good for you, so you'd be spending all that money for nothing.

If I were in your shoes I would rather spend the money on training, ammo, or another G19 or a G26.

Nope. I wouldn't buy the tricked out G23 listed on Gunbroker. But I would suggest you buy a stock G23. Mine is as close to perfect right out of the box as any gun I have ever bought. But, there are a couple of things I might like to have done to it. Like the hard chrome job on the slide. I like the look of it and the added durability. Maybe a replacement guide rod and spring. Also some night sights.

But I can honestly tell you, I love this gun and I wish I had bought one years ago.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I agree w/ Mike (SigP239), buy a stock Glock 23. They're pretty great right out of the box. Then add the necessary extras you might need like Night Sights, or Crimson Trace Laser Grips, A good holster & belt. IMHO I'd spend more money towards training, but that's just me.

Sig 229 has only had his gun a few days, I have had my 23 for 10 years and I can say you don't need any of those things for a good carry weapon. Unless you are competition I can't see a need for all these modifications. Maybe night sights and a Hogue grip all is the only thing I would ever add to a stock glock. The finish on the Glocks is so durable I also don't see a reason for hard chrome, unless you start to see some holster wear you are doing this for looks. Save your money and buy a stock Glock and spend the extra on ammo and a nice carry rig!! Should you buy a 23, Heck Yea!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I would...er...uh...I AM...gonna buy a FACTORY unmodified/customized Glock 23 and PROBABLY send it off later to get a few things done to it. I like the hard chrome along with the chrome pins and slide stop. The beveled muzzle and the forward serrations...well...I thought about that - but they are just lipstick.

I kinda like the squared off muzzle of the Glocks. The beveled muzzle looks OK on the babies, but as far as the full sized Glocks...I dunno...I like 'em square.

VIP Member
    Buy a stocker G23..right out of the box happy....no muss or fuss.

kpw
    Get the stock Glock. Get the mods YOU want after shooing it stock. You probably won't change much.

Yes it looks COOL, but as others have said, I'd be leery of a gun customized and reworked by someone I DON'T know. My stock G23 perform great as it came from the box. If you truly need all that bling and customizing. I'd start with the basic gun add the features I could do myself, and send to a qualified gunsmith I trusted for the rest.
    Last edited by sass20485; February 19th, 2007 at 06:50 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links