Trigger pull on Taurus's Mil Pro's

This is a discussion on Trigger pull on Taurus's Mil Pro's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, after raving about my Kahr PM9, the one thing I don't like is the take-up for follow-up shots on the DAO trigger. You practically ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trigger pull on Taurus's Mil Pro's

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar

Ok, after raving about my Kahr PM9, the one thing I don't like is the take-up for follow-up shots on the DAO trigger. You practically have to let it out all the way, unlike my Glock.

So, what's the take-up on the second shot like on the Mil Pro's, especially the PT145? I'm considering replacing my Glock 36 with it. Or, should I just look at the DA/SA models?

I have no problems with my G-36, but the PT145's the same weight & height, as thin, about 3/4" shorter, & carries 4 rounds more. It would seem to make a great EDC instead of my Kahr PM9...maybe...
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    So, what's the take-up on the second shot like on the Mil Pro's, especially the PT145? I'm considering replacing my Glock 36 with it. Or, should I just look at the DA/SA models?
    On the DAO models, the reset is very long so I don't think you will gain anything there.

I don't know about the SA/DA models; I would assume the SA mode is a short reset and the DA mode a long one, but I don't know for sure.

The new 3rd generation models with the SA/DA trigger have a nice short reset. The way to tell them apart in the gunshop from the Generation 2 guns is the Heine Straight 8 sights. I was considering the Glock too but the second strike ability of the Taurus won me over. The guys who practice the tap, rack and bang drills all the time don't think second strike capability is that big a deal but I have never had a bad primer not go off with the second trigger pull on any factory ammo I've ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyflyer View Post
    I have never had a bad primer not go off with the second trigger pull on any factory ammo I've ever used.
    I have. But with that said, I agree it would be a nice bonus to have that feature.. all the same, there were several other factors (including problems and concerns with my own DAO PT-145) that eventually steered me towards a Glock for a carry pistol.
    Last edited by gunmetal; February 20th, 2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: typo

Administrator
    If comparing the Taurus triggers to a Glock or Kahrs, you going to be very disapointed in Taurus. They have made a lot of improvements in the pro series, but I think it would be a big and costly mistake to replace a Glock or Kahr with a Taurus.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Glock triggers are much better and easier to get used to than the Taurus's triggers. Steve48

Thanks for the responses. I'm trying to rearrange my carry guns, because things have changed at work. I currently have a S&W 442, Glock 26 & 36, & a Kahr PM9.

I got rid of my G-21, getting back my G-26 in the process, but thinking of letting go of the G-26, but I would like one hi-cap capable gun (I have G-19 & 17 mags for it). I can appendix carry the G-26, but thought the PT145, being slightly smaller, a .45, & carrying 11-rounds would enable me to let the 26 & 36 go.

I'ld just have to figure what I'ld do with my PM9. Let me guess, I'll like the trigger on my kahr than a Kel-Tec, such as the P-3AT if I could get my hands on one (I live in Kalifornia )?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Administrator
    The kel tecs trigger leaves a lot to be desired, I wouldnt sweat it to much.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sixto: In other words, stick with what I have...
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member

Administrator
    Yeah, pretty much. What you have is better quality than what you are looking at, so why trade in a BMW for a Hyundai?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I want to buy one and was wondering if it would cycle WINCHESTER 9mm +P Frangible flat nose.

Some of the 9mm don't like flat nose cartridges.

Eagles BEA
    Bail bond recovery agent... no, not like that "dog" fella.

The only 9mms I recall owning that did not mind flat nose stuff at all were a Browning Hi Power, Beretta 92fs, and a Glock 17 and 19 (I must have been in a stupor when I sold those two, dumbest thing I ever did). I've not yet tried any flatnoses in my Millennium Pro.

I was talking about the PT145, but I haven't had a problem shooting anything through my PM9 & of course my G-26 either.
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member

I may be the lone dissenter here, but I would say go with the Taurus.

Or, you could wait a few weeks and put together the $$ for the Taurus without letting anything go. They're relatively inexpensive.

I traded a G27 for a PT145 a few years ago. The Taurus was a nice piece. It never had a single hiccup in over 3000 rounds, unlike the G27. Everyone's experiences are different. I would say that 10+1 of .45 is very comforting. The pistol is well built, and comes with a lifetime warranty. Sounds like the new Gen 3 is even better.

Check one out. The trigger on mine (the older one) was decent. Long take-up, yes - but smooth. Sounds like the new DA/SA format is even better.

One thing Glock has going is ease of tinkering, and tons of parts availability. Also, being able to reload with a full size mag. But the downside is they are thick, and not as compact as the Taurus. I also REALLY like having a frame safety lever, since my other CCW's are 1911's it keeps the muscle memory same-same. Good luck.
    U S M C ** SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. What you have is better quality than what you are looking at, so why trade in a BMW for a Hyundai?
    Well for one thing, these day's Hyundai's are much more reliable then BMW's are (and if need be, cheaper to fix)...............

Everything I've read about the latest version of the PT145 has been positive and those that own them seem to really like them. I'm going to look at it (and the 745) one of these day's, though Taurus is (supposedly) coming out with a 24/7 compact this year, so who knows. Also one thing to remember about the PT145, is that it is always in SA mode unless you have a misfire, then it reverts back to DA for the second strike (and if the 2nd strike doesn't set off the primer, it goes back to SA when you rack the slide) and there is no decocker nor manual safety on in (a problem for some people)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links