keltec PF9 or P3AT

keltec PF9 or P3AT

This is a discussion on keltec PF9 or P3AT within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need a smaller, lighter gun that I can keep in my pocket. I was pretty much set on a P3at. While looking in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keltec PF9 or P3AT

keltec PF9 or P3AT

I need a smaller, lighter gun that I can keep in my pocket. I was pretty much set on a P3at. While looking in the new CDNN catalog I see the PF9 is only $20 more and doesn't seen to much bigger or heavier.

I was hoping one of you guys that may have them could tell me if the extra size makes it harder to carry.

I have a bersa T380 and it is too large and heavy for my pocket.

I have a P3AT in my pocket as I type, and it's just about the perfect "pocket-sized" pistol. I think the P9 is going to be a bit bulky and heavy. I often forget the P3AT is in my pocket.

On the range, it kicks like a mule (because it weighs next to nothing) but is a very good shooter for the size and sighting system (small).

You can't afford to limp wrist a P3AT, or you'll have FTF's.

All around, I'm a P3AT fan. It's an exceelent pocket piece.

Thanks. I've just read on ktog that someone else said the pf9 was too big for pocket carry in their opinion.

I'll probably go with the p3at. I'm going to try and find a shop with both so I can handle them side by side.

I have both. The P-F9 is too large for my pockets. I use one of my P-3ATs for pocket carry. The P-F9 is a great IWB pistol for times when you just feel better with a little more gun. It carries well in one of the elastic shoulder rigs under a light shirt for all day comfort, without a cover garment.
    str1

I've just read on ktog that someone else said the pf9 was too big for pocket carry in their opinion.
    Keep in mind that the J-frame S&W revolvers are, on average, nearly 1-1/4" longer and quite a bit wider (at the cylinder) than the P3AT, and a 1/2" longer and much wider than the PF9. On paper, at least, the PF9 should conceal much better than a J-frame revolver in the pocket. (I've not yet tried the PF9 in person.)

The most important thing, right now, about the PF9 is that it's a v1.0 offering. It's just now on the market and is having teething pains. For a concealed-carry weapon that needs to protect your life, it's not yet ready for primetime, IMO. Not until they work out the bugs.

That said, though, if it turns out to be a winner, I will definitely be looking strongly at the PF9 as a possible replacement of my BUG. Being 9mm, it could be a nice backup to my primary.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

JAK47 has a PF9 that he bought from the Store, as he works LP there. I got to handle his PF9 this weekend, and found it to be VERY small, in fact, small enough IMO to slip into your pocket with minimal trouble. It's flat, light (12.5 oz) and could give the other BUGs a good run for the money. JAK says it works flawlessly, and I'm probably going to get one myself, due to the cost factor and reliability.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I've got pockets large enough to comfortably carry, and conceal with minimal printing, a PPK sized pistol. I can't wait for a PF9 with a serial number over 1000 to hit the area.

Thanks for the info. I think I need to find one in a shop and see what I think.

I need something I can put in the front pocket of a pair of khaki pants or shorts that isn't too heavy. I think the p3at would be better but I like the idea of an extra round and 9mm. My bersa and detective special are both too heavy and large.

I use my P3AT for summer and my 642 for winter carry. Steve48

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    On paper, the PF-9 is slightly longer, taller, but about 3 oz. lighter than a Kahr PM9, which I have. The PM9's a bit difficult to draw quickly in "normal" size jeans, but fine in slacks & cargo pants that tend to have larger pockets. The extra size difference of the PF-9's probably not going to make too much of a difference unless you want to carry it in jeans.

I don't own one, but a friend of mine has the P-3AT. That thing'll will carry anywhere. It's small enough to carry in any pants pocket & easily wallet carry in you back pants pocket with the right holster.

If your goal is a easier carry gun than your Bersa, the P-3AT is probably it.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I check my local gun shop once a week for a PF9 to show up so I can compare it to my P3AT, it will not replace it as I will not part with my P3AT, but thinking the PF9 "might" make a good 9mm pocket carry (will I ever get to see one?)
    Lloyd

Eternity is a long time, do you know for certain where you will spend it?

CDNN has them in their catalog so I'm guessing they should start showing up in stores soon too.

I'm going to look around in stores this weekend and see if I can handle a pf9. I'll probably go with the p3at though since it is so light and small.

The size of the weapon in your pocket and people seeing it is in your mind most of the time. You are self conscious. You feel as if you have a cement block in your pocket with flashing arrows. I carried the Kel Tec .32 for a long time until I found out that my buddy carried a 642 in his pocket and I never noticed. I now carry a 642 every place that I can, and nobody knows. You do have to make sure that the pockets on your trousers or shorts are deep enough to conceal the stocks, but thats it.

Thanks, George

I would like there to be no bulge or print but I'm more concerned with the weight. Heavy guns flop around a lot. I wear light weight pants and shorts. The bersa hides fine in many pants but is uncomfortable mainly b/c of the weight.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    When I've said something's more difficult for pocket carry, I'm referring to the ability to put my hand in the pocket & draw it quickly. A revolver lends itself to drawing quickly even in tight jeans because the grip's narrower than the cylinder. You can grasp it easily, & that becomes even easier if you use the old wood grips. That's not as easy with an auto that's filling up the pocket, such as a PM9 in snug jeans (Not necessarily tight, just snug).

The P-3AT is small enough to be easier to draw, unlike the PM9 & I'm only assuming the PF9's similar due to it's dimensions.

The earlier poster is pretty much correct in that it's not necessarily printing any more or less than others.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links