Ruger LCR 9mm

Ruger LCR 9mm

This is a discussion on Ruger LCR 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Haven't had any luck doing a search here for that gun. I'm really interested in this one. Can anyone tell me about it?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ruger LCR 9mm

Ruger LCR 9mm

Haven't had any luck doing a search here for that gun. I'm really interested in this one. Can anyone tell me about it?

Have you checked Gallery of Guns,Gun broker?

VIP Member
    Here's one of the threads.

Ruger LCR .38 vs 9mm
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

VIP Member

My wife likes the idea of a 9mm revolver, she would prefer something larger. Next wek we might try and stop at an LGS and try to compare the LCR lineup and the SP101.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Thanks for the links. Am I understanding correctly, the 9mm has more recoil than the .38 special?

Quote Originally Posted by reade View Post
    Thanks for the links. Am I understanding correctly, the 9mm has more recoil than the .38 special?
    You are understanding correctly.
    Bigsteve113 and SmoothJazz like this.

VIP Member
    No problem, and yes you are correct.

People may give you their take on it, that's fine, but only you can say if it really works for you. Can you rent one at a local range?

Some things you can't measure, like how recoil is perceived and how easy or difficult it is to run the gun. Depending on the design of the firearm, two identical weight guns fired with the exact same ammo, could feel and perform very differently in your hands.

I'm not PRO or ANTI this gun, but I am PRO what works best for you. For example; what are you shooting now?
    NRA Life Member - Over penetration may get you sued, under penetration may get you killed.

Firearms are tools. I'm not a caliber guy, nor am I a fan boy.

Hand guns are better for self defense, long guns are better for home defense.

9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, I'd like to think I'm not too recoil sensitive. Today I took my son in laws out and we shot some .40 and 9mm in the same G27 with a Lone Wolf conversion barrel. I honestly couldn't tell any difference.

I'm just surprised to find out 9mm is as hot as it actually is. Would it be a fair comparison to say the 9mm LCR compared to the .38 Special would be similar to the .40SW to the 9mm in a G27 vs G26? If this is true it's no deal breaker for me.

I have both an LCR 357 and an LCR 9mm.

The LCR 9 has more recoil than the LCR 357 does when shooting 38 special.

As soon as I can get to the range, I'll try the LCR9 vs the LCR357 with 38 special+P.

I suspect that will be similar.

I don't have a 40s&w so can't speak to that.

I did try the LCR9 and my LC9 (semi auto) at the same time with the same ammo. Recoil was noticeably more with the LCR9 revolver even though the two weigh about the same.

This was probably due to the auto-loading mechanism on the automatic absorbing some of the recoil.

I think the LCR 9 is very usable and highly recommend it for anyone except the very recoil shy or people with arthritis problems.

Sure it's more than a 38 special, but the 9mm cartridge has much higher velocity and muzzle energy when fired from a 2" barrel. You can't avoid the laws of physics.

See ballistics by the inch data.
    gopbert likes this.

Also note the moon clips you need to use ....

I own a 940 s&w 9mm same idea .. Funky gun but it works ... To me 9mm/45acp and 40cal etc wheel guns are guns looking for a place to be if you ask me ...
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I'm thinking a LCR 9 is on my short list.

Distinguished Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    A lil too many "Crimp Jump" stories for me with the LCR 9. I would definitely explore the venerable .38 Special LCR, or even better, the .357 Magnum KLCR. I have the .357 version. It performs so well it has pulled me away from my beloved SP101 as my main CC weapon. I did a pretty extensive side by side comparison at the range a few weeks ago between my LCR, SP101, and Smith 442. The LCR won, hands down! And I really wanted my SP101 to win (because I think the LCR is so ugly, and the SP101 is so cool), but I just couldn't make it happen. My J Frame 442 (which I think is so petite and pretty), unfortunately, came in last. Don't get me wrong, they all three performed very well! It's just that the LCR did best.

Just my experience. YMMV! Good luck with whichever one you choose!
    Doghandler likes this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

I bought and want to like the LCR 9, but in the end I think I'm just not a revolver person. I've been focusing on what pocket size gun I can shoot most accurately with speed. I've found that I can shoot a lot of guns reasonably well when taking my time and shooting groups. I also find that those groups spread dramatically when you add in draw to fire and shoot double taps. I tend to do much better with the striker fired guns such as the G42, the Shield, and the PPS. I tend to do poorly with the long double action guns such as the PM9 (super accurate when shooting groups) and the LCR 9.

My thoughts on the LCR 9:

Pros - very concealable.. especially IWB. It completely disappears with a tucked in microfiber golf shirt, which is one of the worst materials to try and hide a gun under. Nice trigger. Accurate. Simple action with very little to go wrong.

Cons - Moon Clips (I'm sort of neutral on this). Felt recoil to me is higher than my EMP 40. It is not a 'fun' gun to shoot for me, but a different grip may be in order. I know that it seems to focus the recoil energy into the web of my hand with the stock grip, which is not comfortable past a box of bullets. Crimp Jump can be an issue with some bullets, but there is a good list of well crimped (and poorly crimped) 9mm bullets on the Boberg Arms website. That pistol has issues with crimp jump as well, and I'm betting that anything that makes the "good" list for the Boberg will do just find in the LCR.

I plan to do some more shooting with the LCR and maybe even give it a try with some new grips. It's a great pistol... just not in my wheelhouse as of yet.
    Bigsteve113 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links